MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's

I have install the STM slipper clutch on my F4 R312, and it look like something is going wrong. I am quite sure that I haved assemble the clutch properly but when I put in 1st gear with the bike on the rear stand, the wheel is spinning like hell... it look like the clutch is not doing anything.
What should I do ???? before I open everything again

Thanks

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I ran into the EXACT same problem. I took mine apart no less than 14 times and put it back together, only to have the same result each time. What I found is that the oil became very sticky, and caused the plates to stick together. After a short ride, the problem corrected itself.

To test the situation, go ahead and start the bike with it up on the rearstand. Pull in the clutch, and put the bike in gear -- yes, the wheel will spin like crazy. Apply the rear brake while holding the clutch lever in..... the engine should not die if the problem is indeed just sticky motor oil between the plates. If the engine dies, you've got another issue.

If the engine didn't die, go for a short ride. The problem should go away as the oil heats up and thins out.

Feel free to PM me if you need to.

·
Registered
735 Posts
does the slipper render the EBS ineffective?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I ran into the EXACT same problem. I took mine apart no less than 14 times and put it back together, only to have the same result each time. What I found is that the oil became very sticky, and caused the plates to stick together. After a short ride, the problem corrected itself.

To test the situation, go ahead and start the bike with it up on the rearstand. Pull in the clutch, and put the bike in gear -- yes, the wheel will spin like crazy. Apply the rear brake while holding the clutch lever in..... the engine should not die if the problem is indeed just sticky motor oil between the plates. If the engine dies, you've got another issue.

If the engine didn't die, go for a short ride. The problem should go away as the oil heats up and thins out.

I do totaly agree with G.Rand in this case.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
does the slipper render the EBS ineffective?
it depends on the springs within the clutch. most slippers are a ball and ramp style with little springs forcing the ball into notches so that the force can be transferred. if the force is in the wrong direction then the bearing rolls up the ramp and then drops into the next notch. so the outer "ramps" spins (like a ratchet)

on some high end clutches you can adjust the slipper so the bike can behave anywhere from like a two-stroke with no engine breaking right down to only slipping if you dump it to redline on a downshift. i've got mine set so that i get about 80% of the full EBS but it's only really there so i can downshift aggressively and not lock the rear.

also how is running the bike while up on the side stand not a recipe for disaster??

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks G. Rand
I will try today

·
Registered
379 Posts
Heads Up! It never occurred to me until it arose, but you can't bump start a motorcycle with a slipper clutch! I discovered this on a steep hill near my house..it was fun pushing it back up the hill to the jumper cables...

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Heads Up! It never occurred to me until it arose, but you can't bump start a motorcycle with a slipper clutch! I discovered this on a steep hill near my house..it was fun pushing it back up the hill to the jumper cables...

hehe...sorry man, that made me chuckle.... :conveyer:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
AHAHAHA:laughing::laughing::highclap: post of the day!
poetic justice means i'll probably end up trying it myself

·
Registered
1,799 Posts

I guess it didn't occur to you to drive the jumper cables down the hill to the bike with the car that you would be jump-starting the bike with, did it Kev? :stickpoke

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
yep normally standard plates

depends on the brand though. some you need to replace the inner plates (smooth around the outer rim)

·
Registered
571 Posts
yep normally standard plates

depends on the brand though. some you need to replace the inner plates (smooth around the outer rim)
particularly, for the STM evolution. I am thinking of buying one, but it is sold without the friction plates. What should I do?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts