MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We arrived at our dealer’s open house and the first thing we noticed was a white F3 running around the parking lot. The wife and I both go whadafaaa ??? It’s so damn quiet! I put the windows down and all we heard was a whoosh as it past in front of our car. Even when the rider blipped the throttle it didn’t sound that special. The next words out of the wife’s mouth were, “my bike’s louder than your bike, naner naner….” I replied with, “the baffles are going back into your Termi’s!”

Inside we see the red/silver and I’m instantly in lust with it. Sorry to those of you who like the white but the truth is, it doesn’t hold a candle to the red/silver.

I talked at length with my salesman who ran back and forth between the parts and tech guys trying to get answers to my questions. As I expected though, most went unanswered. When I inquired about how he sells what he does with such limited info he replied, “Most buyers know more then I do about the bikes so it’s pre sold. Those who don’t are not interested in the technical stuff to care if I do.” I did learn that the service tech is scheduled for his F3 training mid July. I also discovered that the black bikes will not be here until the next shipment due in October. So sorry for those waiting for a black one.

Had a strange encounter in the showroom with the co owner of another bike shop (Kawasaki, Yamaha). It seems his partner in that business is the principal at this dealership, (Indian, Triumph, MV). He stepped right between my salesman and myself while we were in the middle of a conversion. He asked if I’d be interested in the 999R Fila that was in the corner. Seems his shop was taking it to try and sell. I politely said I was buying an F3 to which he told me buy the F3 but I should go to his store for everything else. The wife (as well as myself) was not amused. She later commented that it would be a very cold day in the underworld before she’d allow me to set foot in his store.

So the bike… what can I say that hasn’t already been said? It’s fracking beautiful! Sleek, sensual, inviting, sexy, compact, slender, a quirky mix, old school basics meets new age technology.

Surprises: How narrow it is where the seat and tank meet. How quiet it is. The sloppiness of the cable clutch lever, (Flops up and down worse then a running Basset Hound’s ears.) If someone comes up with a hydraulic clutch conversion I’m in for one. No oil sight window, uses old school dipstick.

Funny bits: That little space, (and I do mean tiny) under the passenger seat. The tool kit, please tell me that there is more to it than those two itty-bitty allen wrenches clipped under the seat.

Speaking of things under stuff, how do you go about getting the tail to pop up? As in this photo.

I told the salesman about the battery charger as I wanted to see the connector but he only knew how to pop the passenger seat. There was a “D” ring visible but it didn’t want to turn and he was reluctant to force it. He thought it only popped off the main seat cushion.

Changes needed: Seat height, rear plate holder, exhaust and belly pan finish.

The seat height I’ve mentioned in several other threads. Here’s the proof of my dilemma.

If you look closely, (disregard the overly loose shoe lace) you’ll see I’m literally on tippy toes. I stretched my legs as far as I could and that’s as close to having both feet down as I got. Shaving the extreme leading edge of the seat isn’t going to gain me enough to make it worthwhile.
I could not get a look at the bottom shock mount but here is a photo of the top mount.

This is the same sort of clevis that we replaced on the wife’s M796. Her bike had a huge spacer welded in the top of the “U” that is not found on the smaller M696. So, a simple switch of factory parts and viola, we lowered her bike almost ¾ of an inch. The MV dealership didn’t have a parts fiche so I was not able to see a diagram as to whether a similar situation exists on the F3. That is to say, is there a similar spacer on the F3’s clevis that could be removed?

Both of these bikes have been ridden and spiritedly I might add. Here’s the proof from the red bike.

Also, the red bike was filthy. It had been recently ridden in the rain and it was easy to see where the bike will be the hardest to clean. The belly pan had been off and it was covered with greasy fingerprints. The brushed finish is definitely not the best for such an application. I’d be tempted to have it repainted to match the side panels. However, carbon fiber was mentioned as the best solution. Oh, this bike is going to be a money pit I just know it.

We learned a surprising thing about these two bikes. I was told that these bikes were pre-production units here for display only and that they would be going back to Italy at some point. However the wife pointed out that the red bike seemed to have the appropriate stickers and a proper 17 digit VIN. I was able to read the part about “This motorcycle meets all applicable Canadian standards in force on the date of manufacture as shown above,” on the one sticker on the upper left frame rail closest to the steering head. The tank obscured the date of manufacture.
When I ask my salesman about this he said he didn’t know about them being Canadian models. He did say that several peopled had tested the bikes and all complained about the poor running at low RPM’s. However he changed his story and let it slip that they may not want them back in Italy and so these may end up being CRUSHED!
I’ve been in and around the trade long enough to know that vehicles are brought into the country all the time on limited use papers. Typically this is for cold weather testing or for custom installation of specialized equipment on autos and trucks. (I worked for a company that was to install mobile radar units on Merc military truck frames.) But every so often I hear about motorcycles that get crushed. Often it’s a tax thing were by it’s more financially beneficial to squash a bike and claim a loss then to pay to ship it back to the manufacture who can’t sell it anyways.

This just seems wrong to me. I’m going to write to MotoVan the Canadian distributor to see if I can get “the rest of the story.”

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Would be very sad to crush such a beautiful bike. Thanks for the write up on it.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Tip toes is FINE--Don't mess up the handling of a great bike. On my Brute (which is one of the lowest sport bikes around) I was tip toe on ONE foot, the other dangling. It was never a problem.

If you think you have to have 2 feet down, or flat foot, you just need more practice/experience.

Of course, there are some bikes I can't even mount, like the KTM 990 Adv...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Speaking of things under stuff, how do you go about getting the tail to pop up? As in this photo.

It were 6 screws to remove

hope You will get your bike soon. the white and the black are looking great but an MV should be red and silver.
the noice is their when the bike is around 6000rpm

·
Registered
14 Posts
Put the key in on left hand side of bike, near the black tubular frame section. Twist key and pull up seat.
There is a charging lead under seat, it's covered with rubber cap. It's a special fitting so charger is supplied by MV.
Surprised u think bike is quiet? Mine is noisy as hell. Rough n raw. After every trip out I check that the crank is still there ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for the updates Stephen! Yeah, it seems the F3 seat position is higher thant I thought it was. I remember on the B3, it was quite all right for me, even though I'm only 1,73 meters high.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Awsome write up stephen, i agree with trikrik the f3 is far from quiet. As for your height problem i rode my previous bike a yamaha r6 for six years and could only put toes on floor, you deal with it believe me dont let it put you off.. Pics of mine are in gallery now if anyone wants a look!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Great write up! Whats your height? At 5'7" (on a good day), im a little curious on how the bike will feel. Everything ive read seems to mention that the dimensions are great for a smaller/shorter rider.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
21 Posts
People are seriously complaining about the height? I am amazed! I am a relatively inexperienced rider and consider myself pretty average in height (172cm or about 5'7"). I can put both feet down and depending on how far forward I sit.

Two things I would say as someone with not nearly as much experience as the general crew here.
1. The bike is super light which makes the whole experience quite easy
2. I'm not tall and I'm comfortable on the bike putting one or both feet down (no I don't have long legs). So unless we're going to start a thread about different seat heights on production bikes please just try it out and stop complaining!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Changes needed: Seat height, rear plate holder, exhaust and belly pan finish.

The seat height I’ve mentioned in several other threads.
Suppose that your weight is proportional to your size ;-)
Reduce the preload of the rear suspension and you will attain less seat height.
My F3 has had too strong factory adjustment, even with 80kg "payload"...

Cheers
Toni

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Im also 5ft 7 and its just right. But how much time do you actually spend with your feet on the floor?
Not much, but it is a confidence thing, I'm 5ft 7 with a damaged left foot, you only have to drop a bike to cause damage, and it's bloody embarrasing. I have dropped several of my bikes, to park I usually get off and push it, at least the F3 is light.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hduck, please re read this thread, as I do not believe I or anyone else is complaining. I am merely voicing my concerns over a problem that I (and some others) have. It's not just about being on tiptoes but everything else that goes along with being a short arse.
You may only be 5 foot 7 but that’s nearly 2 1/2 inches taller then I am and I'll bet the majority of it is in your legs.

Look how relaxed you are in this photo. You have from your toes right back to the ball of your foot firmly on the ground.
Now compare your photo to mine.

The tips of my shoes are barely touching the floor so there is no possible way I can sit as you are.

In my case it's not just about the foot down thing. It's also the fact that I can't get my leg high enough to swing it over the tail. Not to mention the difficulty in trying to raise & lower the kickstand.

Lowering a bike’s height does not automatically mean it’s handling will be changed in a detrimental way. If it did why would other bikes like the F4 have height adjustability? In fact there are many posts discussing ride height over on the F4 side.

Motorcycles are designed to operate throughout the suspension's complete range. From fully extended to fully compressed. What I propose is the same as I've done to both of my wife's Monsters and my 900 SS. My F3 will sit as if there were two people on the bike. However, it won't suffer from the sluggishness associated with the added weight of a passenger. I'm not changing the steering head angle although the trail will be reduced slightly. I understand that I'll lose a little lean angle due to reduced ground clearance but hey, if I'm draggin' my knee on the street then I am riding too hard ON THE STREET!

On a different note, I received a response to my inquiry about the future of the two F3 display bikes.

“…rest assured that these machines will not be crushed, but they are not for resale and we do have plans for these machines that I am not at liberty to discuss.”

My vote is for them to be transformed into race bikes. One can hope, eh!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Im also 5ft 7 and its just right. But how much time do you actually spend with your feet on the floor?
being able to put your feet on the ground is important for rider confidence.
There was a forum member here who was out riding his F4 and he too had short inseam and there was a slight angel on the asphalt to allow the rain to drain and when he went to put his foot down, well he dropped the bike due to his inability to plant this feet on the ground.

It can be important for some.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Confidence is King

being able to put your feet on the ground is important for rider confidence.
There was a forum member here who was out riding his F4 and he too had short inseam and there was a slight angel on the asphalt to allow the rain to drain and when he went to put his foot down, well he dropped the bike due to his inability to plant this feet on the ground.

Yes I have to agree with Daniel.

Confidence is important, if can't you feet down evenly & easily you need to 'plan' your stops which adds another stress level that's not needed. This though is only really noticeable in city riding.

The F3 is perfect for me at standard height. My F4, I had lowered (professionally) front & back (to keep the geometry) 3/4 inch and it made all the different in the world to my comfort levels, at least in my mind where it counts most. :)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
being able to put your feet on the ground is important ... he too had short inseam and there was a slight angel on the asphalt to allow the rain to drain and when he went to put his foot down, well he dropped the bike due to his inability to plant this feet on the ground.

Exactly!
Been there, done that, bought the lever, (and other bits). :bawling:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts