MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I recently acquired a higher mile 2000 F4 750 (from a member here, and apparently not the only one: 2000 Mv Agusta F4 - Silver)
I'm one more DEI wrap and tail fairing hinge away from getting it all sorted maintenance-wise, but the one thing that's bugging me is the titanium silmoto cans - they're far too loud for my tastes.

Has anyone managed to re-baffle those things to make them a bit more sensible? The end caps are are just riveted on, so drilling them out should be no big deal.

(pic when it got delivered, next to my 916)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,356 Posts
I have done this on other exhausts, but Silmotor specifically.
As you suspect, the rivets hold the outlet can end on.
Remove the rivets, remove the end.
On the inlet side, the end cap is probably welded to the internal baffle. Remove the rivets and slide the internals out.
At that point you can clean up the internals and remove any packing that is left.
You can purchase new packing online or at a dirt bike shop and repack the internals.
Then you slide it back together and reattach the ends with stainless pop-rivets.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, yeah kind of what I figured would be the approach. I'm curious if that actually makes a dent in the noise though, those carbon cans are preposterously loud. Like tinnitus loud, though my helmet.

·
Super Moderator
22,356 Posts
Use hearing protection. You should anyway.
Yes, it lowered the noise signature

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Maybe sell the Silmotos and core out a stock set of Arrows? IME that will be less preposterous. Or maybe wait for the electric F4. :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah, I think I'll end up grabbing a stock set. Don't really have a good handle on how much quieter can the silmoto cans get, even with new fiberglass. The carbon fibers termis on my 916 certainly don't resonate inside my skull.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Reminds me of stuffing my reverse cone pipes on my Norton back in the day to get it through the license inspection at the pits.
I would stuff it with steel wool, nice and quiet for the inspection, then the wool would either catch fire and burn off or just slowly rust away so a few weeks or a month later, back to a nice loud thump!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In case someone else is curious - the ID of the tip opening is 25mm, which is exactly the od of cheap chinese exhaust inserts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts