MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a contact in Melbourne for good pricing on Silkolene in Melbourne? Don't purchasing bulk quantities if necessary to get the right price..

Really object to paying $100/4l from local store when they are adding no value at all...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dons
I have always used Silkolene in my bikes and the Pro 4 comes in a 10W60.

Noticed a huge difference in the gearbox when I changed over to Silkolene in my CBR250RR and every bike since. Everybody I know who has changed has found the same thing.

Did you get your WEB site stuff sorted out?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Hi Dons
I have always used Silkolene in my bikes and the Pro 4 comes in a 10W60.

Noticed a huge difference in the gearbox when I changed over to Silkolene in my CBR250RR and every bike since. Everybody I know who has changed has found the same thing.

Did you get your WEB site stuff sorted out?
Ah okay, stick with what you know and like I recon.

As for the site, I've been flat out with other stuff, but might give you a ring sometime with a couple of questions if you don't mind.

·
King of Bling
9,808 Posts
Does anybody have a contact in Melbourne for good pricing on Silkolene in Melbourne? Don't purchasing bulk quantities if necessary to get the right price..

Really object to paying $100/4l from local store when they are adding no value at all...
Vivere

This is the Australian contact info for Silkolene..

Mr. John Warrian

Warrian Enterprises
Unit 9 a, 2 Middleton St
Ashmore
QLD 4214
Australia

Contact Number 0061 (07) 5526 4543

Have you tried contacting this guy direct for some advise on the best place to buy Silkolene..

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vivere

This is the Australian contact info for Silkolene..

Mr. John Warrian

Warrian Enterprises
Unit 9 a, 2 Middleton St
Ashmore
QLD 4214
Australia

Contact Number 0061 (07) 5526 4543

Have you tried contacting this guy direct for some advise on the best place to buy Silkolene..

Thanks John. Went down that path previously and they kindly put me in touch with the Melbourne rep who gave me a list of retail shops so not really a big help..

·
King of Bling
9,808 Posts
Thanks John. Went down that path previously and they kindly put me in touch with the Melbourne rep who gave me a list of retail shops so not really a big help..
Hi Vivere.. Sorry I couldn't be of much more help here, but at least you've tried that avenue..

Is there any reasonably priced Silkolene for sale on Australian Ebay ?

Like Deano said, I use Castrol in all my bikes, whether 4 or 2 stroke.. ( with exception of my Kawasaki ELR which runs on Rock Oil... as Frank a member on this forum helped me out in the pass with some of this product and I've stuck with Rock Oil ever since in my Kawasaki)..

Silkolene is top stuff and I have their bearing grease, and air filter maintenance products sitting on my garage shelf.

It's a shame you can't by their stuff at a decent price in Australia, as I know how you feel when you've had good results from an oil product and you want to continue using it..

Good luck Vivere and I hope you find a reliable supply in the future for Silkolene down-under..

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
John, even the UK pays less for Australian wine, you can't even begin to imagine how expensive stuff that has been shipped from the UK to here is.... TRADE price on 15w50 pro4 is ten quid a litre, when you buy it in 20litre drums.

·
King of Bling
9,808 Posts

Wow Richard ... That's a crazy situation and considering Australia has the potential to be a massive market compared to the UK..

I don't know why companies like Silkolene don't open factories out there and make it in house..

I know that shipping costs have gone through the roof in the last 5 years, but why do you reckon it has become so expensive to import stuff into Australia ?... Is it the government import duties ?..

As you said Richard, at the moment products coming into the UK from Australia are cheap as "Chips" and wine is a very good example.. And it's good gear :)

I've been told there's a huge untapped supply of early 70's NOS Japanese parts in Australia, but so far I haven't been able to find any suppliers..

I wish I had some contacts out there, as the NOS stuff in the USA is becoming outrageously expensive and drying up..

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

Richard..

Out of interest, I've just Googled Silkolene 15w50 pro4 and the cheapest I could find it here in the UK is £11.99 ( Inc VAT)..

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1142-silkolene-pro-4-15w-50-full-synthetic-ester-4-stroke-engine-oil-for-all-high-performance-motorcycles.aspx

That's about right, your retail/shop price is about the same as our trade price when you take VAT/GST into account.

Things are so expensive here because :

1. Shipping costs.

2. Import taxes but they aren't that high really, 5-15% + GST on top of it all at 10% for most things.

3. Everybody involved wanting their pound of flesh, which generally involves adding 50% to the price. This is the main problem. As the market place isn't that big here the volumes are too small - this means importers can't get a good price to start with and the margin has to be high to make a worthwhile profit.

This is why smaller not too heavy things are way cheaper from europe, eg most mv parts.... eg my new sump for the 1090, AU price $361. Price from startwin, ups shipping and whilst I'm att it add gasket and another set of cush drive rubbers total $275 inc credit card fees etc. Then consider that there is no stock here and you can guess where I get all my parts.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

I've been told there's a huge untapped supply of early 70's NOS Japanese parts in Australia, but so far I haven't been able to find any suppliers..

I wish I had some contacts out there, as the NOS stuff in the USA is becoming outrageously expensive and drying up..

John, send me a email ( on my profile) with a few model numbers, parts you are looking for and I'll ask around. Someone must know something :)

When I lived in Portsmouth back in the late 80s one of the bike shops there had bought truck loads of old Yamaha bits, don't know if they are still there but might be worth a look.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Richard..

Out of interest, I've just Googled Silkolene 15w50 pro4 and the cheapest I could find it here in the UK is £11.99 ( Inc VAT)..

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1142-silkolene-pro-4-15w-50-full-synthetic-ester-4-stroke-engine-oil-for-all-high-performance-motorcycles.aspx

4l of 10W-60 is £45 = AU$88 so not a huge difference I guess..

Wow Richard ... That's a crazy situation and considering Australia has the potential to be a massive market compared to the UK..

I don't know why companies like Silkolene don't open factories out there and make it in house..

I know that shipping costs have gone through the roof in the last 5 years, but why do you reckon it has become so expensive to import stuff into Australia ?... Is it the government import duties ?..

As you said Richard, at the moment products coming into the UK from Australia are cheap as "Chips" and wine is a very good example.. And it's good gear :)

I think the problem with Australia is that it is so isolated and there is not a lot of competition as the market is so small. Have a look at the difference in software prices between the US and AU. Adobe products are 50% more on the AU Adobe store than the US one. Why? "because that is the market value in Australia". ie. because they can.

Still the lucky country though... :)

·
King of Bling
9,808 Posts
John, send me a email ( on my profile) with a few model numbers, parts you are looking for and I'll ask around. Someone must know something :)

When I lived in Portsmouth back in the late 80s one of the bike shops there had bought truck loads of old Yamaha bits, don't know if they are still there but might be worth a look.
Thanks Richard for your help.. I got your email and have responded.

You're a gentleman Sir !

J

1 - 16 of 16 Posts