MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or is anyone else tired of seeing signatures that take up more space than the actual post. And what's with the multicolored list of toys, and life philosophies. It's one thing to spout one's life philosophy once, but it's another thing to have it proclaimed everytime one posts. Is there anyway to turn this off? Or maybe confine signatures to profiles. I mean if I want to know what other bikes you ride and your life philosophy, I can click on your member profile or something. Signatures add so much visual clutter, and it gives me a headache. Maybe I'm the only one...

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Don't worry, it's not just you.

You can turn off sigs & avatars through the Control panel. You'll see this as "User CP" on the left side of some menu bar.

Look at "Edit Options".

-colin

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
hmmm....i was just thinking, if everybody starts to turn off the sigs, then at some point in a couple of weeks or months, we can have a "what's your sig" thread! :ahhh: :ahhh:

:conveyer: :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
I like one or two line sigs. Not much more.

I HATE forums where there are banners in the sigs. In fact, I refuse to go to them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
dearpixel said:
Is it just me or is anyone else tired of seeing signatures that take up more space than the actual post. And what's with the multicolored list of toys, and life philosophies. It's one thing to spout one's life philosophy once, but it's another thing to have it proclaimed everytime one posts. Is there anyway to turn this off? Or maybe confine signatures to profiles. I mean if I want to know what other bikes you ride and your life philosophy, I can click on your member profile or something. Signatures add so much visual clutter, and it gives me a headache. Maybe I'm the only one...
I've always been intrigued by this subject of which you so eloquently proclaimed your displeasure; why in fact is it some people need to include a laundry list of every toy they own? Even funnier is the philosiphy 101; Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle would certainly be amused.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Now the avatar and other info takes up so much space!!!

Leaves a lot of grey on the screen!

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
dearpixel said:
It is not just you. There are several other whiners on here, expressing needless criticism about the conduct of others. (Bringing the paradoxical question: "Should intolerance be tolerated?!") Just go to the User CP.

Come on, now! Signatures are a structural part of forums. They serve a purpose, but are optional to utilize or to view. Some want to ignore them; others are interested in or amused by them. Just go to the User CP.

I personally include a brief signature that represents my motorcycling interests and passions. It is very limited and in the smallest font-size available. The information represents my participation in the motorcycling hobby and community. It has brought both flames and comraderie. Just go to the User CP.

I also personally look for small pieces of information about others in their sigs. I have had correspondence with several members based initially on their signature listing. I WANT to know these things, if posted, whether or not I agree with the actual preferences, views, or content. I can learn something about a member without reading a novel of their posts in various threads. Just go to the User CP.

Websites and forums are informative and enlightening, and have many vital functional aspects; but PEOPLE enrich my life. I haven't a shread of co-depency, I assure you; but I appreciate what others on this site have contributed to my life by their presence here. That includes and, in fact, often begins with their signatures! Just go to the User CP.

All members should use the site as they see fit, within ethical and moral boundaries. Enable or disable any of the functions according to your personal preferences. But PLEASE... chill! Allow others the same freedom without undue criticism. This is a community. JUST GO TO THE USER CP!!!!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This is a wind-up, right?

I seriously didn't know signatures were optional to view. I do now, many thanks to TokyoLunch. So WYD OPN, you can get off your high horse. Sheesh! Talk about intolerant...

Just so folks know, I am enjoying this forum like you wouldn't believe. More so now that I've turned off sigs and avatars. They really were dizzing, and often annoying and I was finding myself just not patient enough to scroll and get on with reading the often terrific discussion. But that's just me and my visual sensitivities. Not trying to get anyone to change the way they like doing things.

Agreed, User CP is the ticket.

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Marc said:
I've always been intrigued by this subject of which you so eloquently proclaimed your displeasure; why in fact is it some people need to include a laundry list of every toy they own? Even funnier is the philosiphy 101; Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle would certainly be amused.
Did you mean "philos-o-phy 101"? The ancient "Patriarchs" would likely think deficient spelling and grammar skills amongst educated adults to be even funnier!

Please... Just go to the User CP.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, WYD OPN, what's with the superior attitude? To be honest, the replies on this post, bar yours, have been quite useful to me. Am I (and Marc, and others) offensive in our expression? If so, perhaps apologies are in order.

But more the fool you for pointing out errors in people's spelling/grammar. I mean, and correct me if I'm wrong, you are a few vowels short of two full words (WYD OPN), no?

Admin, I'm not sure of the protocol, but I've clearly stepped on toes here. Apologies all round.

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
dearpixel said:
Wow, WYD OPN, what's with the superior attitude? To be honest, the replies on this post, bar yours, have been quite useful to me. Am I (and Marc, and others) offensive in our expression? If so, perhaps apologies are in order.

But more the fool you for pointing out errors in people's spelling/grammar. I mean, and correct me if I'm wrong, you are a few vowels short of two full words (WYD OPN), no?

Admin, I'm not sure of the protocol, but I've clearly stepped on toes here. Apologies all round.

Apologies here, as well! I am a bit aggressive at times about issues that appear to be forum-police related. I've observed some incredibly ridiculous member behavior on other sites. Thought you were "ridin' hard and puttin' up wet". My misunderstanding.

The spelling/grammar comment was partly my dry humor, so... apologies there, as well (Marc).

WYD OPN is the vanity license plate on one of my bikes. As you know, spelling acumen is the LEAST of the DMV's concerns. :laughing:

BTW... My fiance is originally from Kuching, East Malaysia. Singapore is gorgeous! More people should visit there; they don't know what they are missing.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No problem. I know what you mean about ridiculous behaviour on some other sites. Don't really see it on this site, thankfully. Like I said earlier, apologies for stepping on toes.

Kuching, yes I know the place a bit. Singapore, while everyone is welcome to visit, it is a bit of a city, and I can't imagine why anyone would visit apart from friends or business. Nevertheless, as a gateway to Asia, it's quite superb. Anyway, cheers & take care of that fiance.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
WYD OPN said:
It is not just you. There are several other whiners on here, expressing needless criticism about the conduct of others. (Bringing the paradoxical question: "Should intolerance be tolerated?!") Just go to the User CP.

Come on, now! Signatures are a structural part of forums. They serve a purpose, but are optional to utilize or to view. Some want to ignore them; others are interested in or amused by them. Just go to the User CP.

I personally include a brief signature that represents my motorcycling interests and passions. It is very limited and in the smallest font-size available. The information represents my participation in the motorcycling hobby and community. It has brought both flames and comraderie. Just go to the User CP.

I also personally look for small pieces of information about others in their sigs. I have had correspondence with several members based initially on their signature listing. I WANT to know these things, if posted, whether or not I agree with the actual preferences, views, or content. I can learn something about a member without reading a novel of their posts in various threads. Just go to the User CP.

Websites and forums are informative and enlightening, and have many vital functional aspects; but PEOPLE enrich my life. I haven't a shread of co-depency, I assure you; but I appreciate what others on this site have contributed to my life by their presence here. That includes and, in fact, often begins with their signatures! Just go to the User CP.

All members should use the site as they see fit, within ethical and moral boundaries. Enable or disable any of the functions according to your personal preferences. But PLEASE... chill! Allow others the same freedom without undue criticism. This is a community. JUST GO TO THE USER CP!!!!
amen.... my brother..... amen

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
dearpixel said:
This is a wind-up, right?

I seriously didn't know signatures were optional to view. I do now, many thanks to TokyoLunch. So WYD OPN, you can get off your high horse. Sheesh! Talk about intolerant...

Just so folks know, I am enjoying this forum like you wouldn't believe. More so now that I've turned off sigs and avatars. They really were dizzing, and often annoying and I was finding myself just not patient enough to scroll and get on with reading the often terrific discussion. But that's just me and my visual sensitivities. Not trying to get anyone to change the way they like doing things.

Agreed, User CP is the ticket.
to each his own
personally... i like knowing what someone else rides, etc...
it's all part of getting to know your "family" better
and that's what this place is all about to me

however.....
i fully respect your decision to DEpersonalize your experience here by eliminating all of the "FLUFF" from your screen.... some folks like the "ANONYMOUS" way of going through life... and that is quite fine as well

when you partake in a communit it is important to let others know about you

look at your USER CP for example
you have nothing there about your life
just your name and location

it's nice to know more
remaining somewhat anonymous is your option, of course... but, i have always chosen a different path

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Spalding, I think the point here was that sometimes it's a bit much to have so much information attached to every post. This forum is full of information about most people (Guests excluded) through all the galleries, user profiles, and participation in the many interesting threads. You for one start quite a few that go right at that, which is great.

so while dearpixel may not be the #1 poster, or not list a whole lot in the profile, his contributions in various threads are appreciated. If he doesn't choose to broadcast so much, fine, i'm not going to ask. Partaking in the pet/wives/cars/garage/faces threads are where I think you'll find the really interesting stories about people and who they are. The Registry is a great way to see what people's involvement with MV is, and that is just a couple of lines on the left, and I believe the most relevant as a 'quick check' on who somebody is if i don't recognize them from other posts.

anyway, i've said too much, not trying to be too critical, so please don't take anything like that, but i respect other peoples' choice to be a bit more private than others. Different personalities give this board quite a lot of character which I find very enjoyable.

time to get out of the office....have a good night/good Thursday....

:conveyer: :conveyer:

·
Registered
479 Posts
dearpixel said:
Kuching, yes I know the place a bit. Singapore, while everyone is welcome to visit, it is a bit of a city, and I can't imagine why anyone would visit apart from friends or business. Nevertheless, as a gateway to Asia, it's quite superb. Anyway, cheers & take care of that fiance.
It's one of my favorite place to goto in Asia on biz trips, but I have to agree, not much of a holiday destination.

Sentosa isn't a bad place to spend a day though. :)

On topic, on the other forum I frequent I put quotes up in my sig. I guess the "classics" would be appalled by my buchery. But I'm still going to do it. :cross:

·
Registered
593 Posts
the biggest challenge for a million children last night was to find food to eat and not go hungry, on the other hand, the biggest challenge for some people was to worry about signatures on an internet forum.

how trivial is YOUR life?

hahaha :)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've sent Triple Seven a private message instead of replying to his post here as I don't see the point of using a healthy public forum to stoke the fire, trade insults, and what have you...

Once again, my apologies to the forum for slicing it too close to the bone.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts