MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings folks,

I am after some new boots, because of injury problems(have to wear orthotics)my choices are limited.
SIDI seem to have room, has anyone got the SIDI ST's for use on the F4 750 or older 1,000's. I was concerned whether the bulky side protection parts get in the way with the foot shields?
Also are they regarding the sole of the boot any more difficult to break in as the older Vertigo model?

Do they offer the same amount of rider feel regarding foot peg feel and ease of gear change? I ask because the Surgeon who operated on my leg managed to damaged the nerve and partially paralyzing my foot, leaving it partially numb, and lacking full upward movement, meaning it took me bloody ages to break in the Vertigo's, and reguired a little modification of the left boot.
Until I broke the boot in I was guessing gear changes(and missing a few) also my foot kept falling of the peg.

I have not tried the Alpinestars SMX plus boots yet, although I am not holding my breath regarding fit. Are these a comfy easily flexible boot for changing gear etc?

Can anyone comment on if either of these boots are good for walking around in. For reference point my SIDI Vertigo boots are fine for me walking distances in them.

Thanks for any help regarding something I find very frustrating to deal with.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I always found Sidi quite tight. Last year I bought Dainese boots and those are really comfortable with riding.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Tried the Dainese range, they won't fit my orthotics and foot, the left one is the worse because it has to make up the height difference with my right leg.
I have read that some find SIDI to be tight, in that perhaps Italians have narrow feet? If this is the case then manufactures need to take some global size measurements if they intend to sell globally. For example Americans complain that the Rev'it Jerez gloves were tight on the fingers, so the new pro version apparently has wider fingers. Unless of course it's purely an individual size thing?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I can't speak to the Sidi boots, but my SMX plus aren't that old and the shifter pad is worn through and torn. I'll be going to a different brand next time. That said, they are pretty comfortable.

Attachments

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't speak to the Sidi boots, but my SMX plus aren't that old and the shifter toe pad is worn through and torn.
This doesn't bother me as perhaps they are thin to begin with. On my SIDI's I actually filed it down so far that I can see the boot. I felt I had to do this to help increase sensitivity because this is the worse part of my partially numb foot. I think reducing the thickness their helped me with my gear changes quite a lot. I just blob black paint in the hole so it doesn't look so naff:laughing:

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Reading about Your issues I think You will need something not of the shelves.
Daytona make custom boots in colors You can choose and since they manufacture all their boots in house in Germany they could easily build one boot to specific sizes.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have the SMX boots which I use for track riding only, I found them very comfortable from day one, and I have quite broad feet. McWhitt, it looks to me like you need to turn your foot in a bit and shift using the top of your toes and not the side, hard to tell from the photo though.

·
Registered
517 Posts
IMcWhitt, it looks to me like you need to turn your foot in a bit and shift using the top of your toes and not the side, hard to tell from the photo though.
Might need to turn in a bit more, but the wear is mostly across the center of the pad (it didn't show up well in the picture). Seems a shame that a "quality" boot like the SMX Plus would wear through so quickly at what is obviously a high-contact/high-wear area.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reading about Your issues I think You will need something not of the shelves.
Daytona make custom boots in colors You can choose and since they manufacture all their boots in house in Germany they could easily build one boot to specific sizes.
Thanks for the info haupti, I wouldn't want to go down this route though until I have exhausted normal possibilities.
Pick road boots for road use, and race boots for race use, it will make a difference.
Your right there Donsy, I was looking at the SIDI Vortice boot because it has all those adjustable parts including the top of the foot. But the sole is like iron and I wouldn't want to try to break them in, or put up with so little feel.
Not really sure who needs more protection the road user or track user? Although the road user usually wants to walk in his boots.
Seen as the Vortice is more of a race boot, doesn't a track rider need good feel/flexibility which it doesn't seem to have?

For many yrs I had 1980's Frank Thomas road boots, very flexible, no armour only padding(probably almost useless in a bad crash). With these I never actually knew I would have a problem riding with my damaged left foot until they fell apart, and I bought the present generation of stiff armoured boot.
My SIDI Vertigo's took so long to break in despite wearing them to walk every where including a disused rail track(causes constant flexing of the boot and wears the sole down)that I thought they never would because my left foot didn't have the strength to move the reinforced boot.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the SMX boots which I use for track riding only, I found them very comfortable from day one, and I have quite broad feet.
Is this the SMX Plus boot? I ask because Alpinestars have lot's of different SMX boots and the sole etc looks different. If you are talking about the 'Plus' version is it a reasonably flexible boot, both the sole feedback and the upward movement of the toe for gear change?

Next month I am doing one of my drives across England to 'getgeared' in Leeds who said they will get the SIDI's and the Alpines in for me. Whilst I can try them on it's not the same as riding and living with them.
Some of these dealers do come across as very helpful(and not just to make a sale). Nigel at SILVER MACHINE in Wolverhampton is going to talk to the SIDI rep to see if there any old Vertigo Corsa boots still available, although very unlikely they will be! Mean while there is ebay!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Sorry, mine are smx but not smx plus, and now I've had a look back I realise it's been 7 years since I purchased them.:jsm:
So I guess my input on this topic is completely irrelevant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts