MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I suppose I'll start this with a story...

When I went to pick up my 800 I had a guy pull up next to me on a 1090RR which did a fantastic job of making all the other bikes look ugly. But it also made me notice that the B3 looks like it was made on a budget compared to the B4. The biggest thing I noticed was the amount of black plastic vs painted plastic. Looking at my bike I decided that it might be interesting to paint the intake and radiator vents to match the tail of the bike. Since I have the grey and pearl white version, I figured I would grab some white plastidip to give a rough idea of what it would look like. While taking the panels off I though I might as well take pictures to help people in the future from some confusion.

So to remove the covers over the side of the radiator goes as follows:

I didnt realize this at first, but the black plastic is actually two different pieces. I was annoyed at first until I started removing everything and found how easy it made everything.

So the aluminum section has to come off first.

There are 5 bolts visible, 3 small and 2 large bolts, only 3 of these bolts need to be removed.

Remove the small bolt at the top of the aluminum cover above the blinker that screws into the frame. Ignore the second bolt that sits below the blinker. It holds the aluminum to the black plastic piece and has a nut on the backside of the cover. Trying to unscrew this bolt will do nothing to remove the plastic from the frame.

Progress to the inside of the plastics next to the radiator and you will find the final 3 bolts.

The upper two bolts need to be removed. They attach to a bracket attached to the rest of the bike. The lower smaller bolt is the same as the earlier bolt and isnt necessary to remove the plastics. At this point the first half is completed and will come apart with ease. The only thing left to do is disconnect the wiring for the blinker.

What you should be left with at this point is the smaller sculpted piece of plastic and an exposed frame and radiator. This smaller piece of plastic is even easier to remove.

There are two rubber holes that the plastic piece snaps into (exactly the same as how the whole tail is held together).

There is 1 small bolt that fixes the plastic to the frame. If you look towards the bottom of the above picture you can see what the bolt threads into. If you locate the two press fit holes and go directly to the underside of the plastic you will find a recessed bolt.

Remove this bolt and the whole thing pops off with ease.

Repeat going backwards to put everything back together. I found it easiest to mount the top smallest bolt on the aluminum portion of the fender first and then try and align the other two holes. I also found it easy to essentially straddle the front wheel and wrap my arm around the backside of the forks. Also, dont forget to attach the blinker wiring before you put everything back together as you wont be attaching it with everything in its final place.

So, once I had everything off I did a quick plastidip of one of the plastic pieces.

I was pleased with the results and am moving forward with painting the black plastic the same pearl white color. Please note that I plan on changing the aluminum piece to carbon fiber so there will be a contrast rather than aluminum and white right next to each other

·
Registered
742 Posts
It's not just the B3, it's the same on allmost any modern bike. Black cheap plastic, looks like my Skoda. :) I replaced allmost every part with carbon fibre but that's not cheap. Painting is probably just as sweet and cheaper.

Sat on a baby and papa Panigale today and these have cheap plastics too. KTM 1290SDR also, and that one has a hideous rear set too. Don't ever say that to a KTM fan, they are too in love with their bikes.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can totally accept the fact that, in all reality, the B3 was made on a budget compared to the B4. Its a 13k bike vs a 20k bike so its to be expected. But, its also really easy to fix. I'm a huge fan of carbon in moderation. What I'll probably end up doing is replacing the parts with carbon and then painting over the carbon all whilst masking parts of the carbon pieces for an interesting exposed carbon pinstriping look.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I love the black plastic.. No worries about chipping etc. I carboned up my old 990 but found it scratched easily and looked tatty. Total waste of my hard earned money for me.
Just keep putting lemon pledge on your black plastic and it will look a million bucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts