MV Agusta Forum banner
2101 - 2120 of 2161 Posts

·
Banned
444 Posts
Do you mean me ? yes, if everything is to remain in visible carbon for the time being, ok, the bug must then also become visible carbon! maybe I'll leave it in visible carbon first, I can still paint it. I don't know how I'll decide yet, I still have the original parts anyway.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts

·
Registered
2005 MV Agusta F4 1+1, 2009 Yamaha R1 (track only), 1966 Suzuki K15
149 Posts
Oh, hi. The registration on her was set to expire last month, but I didn't renew it. Why, you might ask? It was so I could finally remove the license plate and bracket. Because all they did was block this view, which if you ask me is far more illegal than riding without a plate on. 😤

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Eyewear

But can we just once again simply appreciate the genius and thoughtfulness put into the design of the F4? Like how Tamburini didn't just slap on an undertail exhaust and call it a day? We all know that the performance AND tone was taken into full consideration when designing the chambers, but he didn't just stop there. He made sure its form served to beautifully cap the undertail of the seat. Anyone else would just leave incohesive piping down there and call it done.

·
Registered
F4 1000 S, F4 1000 R, F4 1078, 750 Senna, Tamburini, Tamburini, Corsacorta
140 Posts
My new toy, number 7 is here.
Picked it up yesterday.
Hopefully now
I will find the time now ro prepare the alu fans
for you guys...;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here is a picture last week of my trio together before this happened and it became a two'fer:cry:

View attachment 492149

View attachment 492150

View attachment 492151

I sold the 996 on Bring-a-Trailer and she is on her way to Los Angeles.
Nice bikes Paxtonf1! Sorry to hear about your 996. On that note, how does this bike compare to the F4? I know the v-twin is quite different from the F4's inline 4, but what's your opinion? May I ask why you kept the F4 and sold the 996?

The 996 has always been one of my dream bikes and I have been checking the market lately for used 996/916s. I just feel like prices will keep going up so if I really want one, perhaps it is best to get it as soon as possible. I have never had the chance to test a 996 but coming from an F4 750, how will the Ducati feel?

·
Registered
177 Posts
@F4AL Very good questions. First off, the riding experience could not feel any different. The 996 feels vastly more "mechanical" than the F4. Between the lumpy L-twin and the dry clutch chatter, the 996 feels like you are riding on something from the 1930's compared to the silky smooth inline 4 on the MV. At 6'7 tall, I actually found the 996 much more comfortable (legroom wise) than the F4 but they still do have about the same seat room as one and other and the same reach to the handlebars. The Ducati also feels much more fragile than the MV. I honestly love both bikes but they are two different animals. The Duc is much torquier than the MV however the MV (750) has much more power up top. Oh and the Duc gets a lot hotter in traffic than my dual radiator'd F4750.

As for why I kept the F4 and booted the Duc..... well listen, it's not the easiest job in the world to upkeep three old Italian exotic motorcycles. I do a lot of the work myself and unfortunately I dont have the time to be a custodian for three bikes. The 848 is very sentimental to me as it is a post divorce present to myself after a very hard split. The MV was always my dream bike. Ever since I first gazed upon one at Ducati Miami in the late 90's, I was hooked and I knew I had to have one. Right before I bought my 848 in 2018, I had the chance to buy an Agostini for a little under 8 grand. I was lethargic and didn't pull the trigger on time and since then I always viewed the MV as the "one that got away". This past August, I had the opportunity to buy an F4 again and though its not an AGO, its mine and it is the bike of my dreams. I will never sell it. It currently has 18k miles and it will clock many, many, many more over the years. I will certainly miss the 996 and would recommend to anyone to buy a well sorted one like the one I just sold.

·
Registered
141 Posts
@F4AL Very good questions. First off, the riding experience could not feel any different. The 996 feels vastly more "mechanical" than the F4. Between the lumpy L-twin and the dry clutch chatter, the 996 feels like you are riding on something from the 1930's compared to the silky smooth inline 4 on the MV. At 6'7 tall, I actually found the 996 much more comfortable (legroom wise) than the F4 but they still do have about the same seat room as one and other and the same reach to the handlebars. The Ducati also feels much more fragile than the MV. I honestly love both bikes but they are two different animals. The Duc is much torquier than the MV however the MV (750) has much more power up top. Oh and the Duc gets a lot hotter in traffic than my dual radiator'd F4750.

As for why I kept the F4 and booted the Duc..... well listen, it's not the easiest job in the world to upkeep three old Italian exotic motorcycles. I do a lot of the work myself and unfortunately I dont have the time to be a custodian for three bikes. The 848 is very sentimental to me as it is a post divorce present to myself after a very hard split. The MV was always my dream bike. Ever since I first gazed upon one at Ducati Miami in the late 90's, I was hooked and I knew I had to have one. Right before I bought my 848 in 2018, I had the chance to buy an Agostini for a little under 8 grand. I was lethargic and didn't pull the trigger on time and since then I always viewed the MV as the "one that got away". This past August, I had the opportunity to buy an F4 again and though its not an AGO, its mine and it is the bike of my dreams. I will never sell it. It currently has 18k miles and it will clock many, many, many more over the years. I will certainly miss the 996 and would recommend to anyone to buy a well sorted one like the one I just sold.
Thank you for the detailed response Paxtonf1, so much useful information. It is more or less inline with what I have read about the bike but I actually didn't know they were so fragile. I made a good note of this and will definitely double check servicing history if I finally pull the trigger. Unfortunately mint condition 996/916s don't come cheap these days :/

Not mention the F4 is a lot simpler to work on !!
This! It literally takes 5 minutes to remove all the panels! 👍

·
Banned
444 Posts
yes the stickers in orig. I have it there, but I think the mono-tail has to be painted red first, the other carbon parts left in visible carbon, it's really a difficult decision, once the paint is on it it's all too late!!!! I have already painted the pulpit in red
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Helmet Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille Hood

Attachments

·
Banned
444 Posts
Yes, but it's far from finished. Possibilities and variants don't make it easier, but sooner or later everything will be like the original, painted silver/red. Only the subtle visible carbon remains visible!
as with the pulpit

2101 - 2120 of 2161 Posts