MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings & salutations to one & all.
My name is Richard or otherwise known as DaDukeofOz.
I'm a Ducati rider (please don't hold that against me ;)) & have been riding for the better part of 13 years now.
I own an '96 853 that now has over 100,000k's on it's clock.
I live in Sydney, Australia.
... & I'm looking at buying an MV F4 '00

So. Here's the deal.
An aquaintence of mine is selling her '00 F4. It's given her a bunch of grief over the time that she has owned the bike & has got to the point where she's saying that "enough is enough".
Her asking price is Aus$12k. The local Redbook has the list price for this model at $14.4 - 17.
The down side to the entire line is ... it's got a suspected blown head gasket.

From where I'm sitting, even with the blown gasket, the bike looks like a good deal ... but I'm looking for another opinion.

Does this sound like a bike that is worth the effort?

:baddeal:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Hmm are you sure its a blown gasket only? not a bent valve or worse busted crank or crack block?
MV parts are not cheap, your willing to do the work yourself?

Bike shop will give a 9k or less trade in as in condition.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hi DaDuke of OZ, I guess you mean it's an 2000 F4 750? That would make it an original shipment to OZ. If so, I had one of these. Mine was a great bike (have had 2 other MV's since, and now have a 1000) This was after 18 years of Ducatis.
My friend runs Casoli out here in Sydney's Northern Beaches, and we were talking about this the other day. All the original series F4 750's were pretty bullet proof, so this is the first one I have heard.
That being the case, if you want to put an MV next to the Duke, it would be good entry. You can talk with Tim at Casoli and get some idea of pricing to fix, but as I said they should be very reliable, so your friend must have got unlucky?.
Tell you what, while I have been writing this, if you don't want it, let me know, I might take it and build a track bike.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your thought's Greg.
Yes. I've been trying to chase Tim down over the weekend ... but unlike mself, the lucky git is down at the Island for the GP ...

When he gets back I'll be asking him some pointed questions.

MiniMe,
I must admit, I'm going on the words of my friend who is selling the bike. You're right though, it could be worse as the bike has a history of having lunched the #3 valves once already ...

I'm fairly good with me hands & workshop tools. I've managed to keep the Duc on the road for this period of time & I'm not afraid of ripping into a motor to find out how they work ;) (says he, manual in hand)

Either way. I'm thinking that for the price that is being asked I can still spend $5k on it before I get upto the price of a "good" secondhand unit ...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Too right. If you aren't in a rush I might have a mate offloading a 2002 F4 750 in about 2 months. He's moving to Malaysia and last I heard won't be taking the bike with him. Full service history, casoli exhaust and he'll probably be looking at selling it for about 16k. Great condition except for a few chips to the huggers. If you're interested drop me a PM and I'll find out his plans.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
If its just the headgasket, I recon its a good buy for about $10k-$11K.

If you've kept the Ducati on the road with self service then go for it.

Most likely the head is warp, so you might as well machine the head and put some SPR Malhe pistons and rings whilst the head is off. The compression would increase once the head has been machine (if your using the stock head gasket).

I would check the history of the bike, ie call the service centre and ask EACTLY what was done to it?

If you don't want it, I wouldn't mind a trackbike as well.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
2000 model bikes had more problems than the ones that came soon after. There were some other engine problems in the evo2 and evo3 bikes.

But I don't think the problems had anything to do with the heads or valves. It was starter/alternator, electrical, and other stuff.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well ...
With all the fore's & agin's I went ahead & bought the bike.

All I can say is WOW ... what a sexy piece of machinery.

She's been in the house now for about a week & has been target of my affection.
The rebuild process has now begun ;)

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
DaDukeofOz said:
Well ...
With all the fore's & agin's I went ahead & bought the bike.

All I can say is WOW ... what a sexy piece of machinery.

She's been in the house now for about a week & has been target of my affection.
The rebuild process has now begun ;)

congrats....
we were all wondering what happened with your decision
most excellent news

we'd LOVE to see some images directly linked in this thread
and... hear more SPECIFIC RIDING IMPRESSIONS when you have the time

good luck

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 12 of 12 Posts