MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the things on my 'to do' list for my Suzuki was to slightly shorten the Titanium Yoshimura RS-3 exhaust can.

The usual mistake I've seen countless times is that guys tend to shorten them 'far too short' and the result is very obviously that it resembles a fat 'coke can'!:stopp:

I decided to remove no more than 3'' (75mm) from the can to reduce the 'long' appearance whilst still having it look 'factory' was the route I opted for.

I also wanted to retain the Yoshimura logo 'plate' and have it fall just a little in front of the retaining band.

I've looked at lots of 'youtube' and read lots of 'forum speak' on the subject.,and most recommend using a 'chopsaw' with 'metal cutting disc'. They also recommend you cut the can at the end (exit) right through the perforated core in one go.

I went a different route (as I wanted to retain the Yoshimura plate in it's original location) and cut through the titanium 'skin' at the can mounting plate end.
I started by carefully drilling the rivets.,removing the 'band'.,applying masking tape and carefully marking an accurate line to cut. I also removed the Yoshimura plate for safekeeping.

I then clamped the can to a bench and cut accurately to the line using a regular hacksaw. I just cut through the 'skin' and packing down to (but not through) the exhaust can core.
I made a similar parallel cut and removed the waste 'strip' along with some packing.
This gave me room to tap out the exhaust can mounting plate with the perforated core (which was welded to the mounting plate).
It came away quite easily using a small wooden block and rubber mallet.

I then masked., marked.,and cut the appropriate amount of the 'front' of the perforated core.
The exhaust was then 'dry' assembled and temporarily mounted back on the bike. This was so I could visually 'rotate' the can so the exit (spout') was sitting nice and 'plumb' with the bike on its centre stand.

The location of the rivet holes could then be marked accurately for drilling. (don't drill yet)

With the can then removed and disassembled.,I put some sealer around the 'lip' of the mounting plate/core assembly.....,the can now be reassembled.
I drilled just 'one' of the rivet holes..,removed the masking tape..,and riveted the 'band'.
Then using the remainder of the holes in the band (one by one) I drilled and riveted the band to completion.

I then polished the can before riveting the yoshimura plate in place to complete the job.

As usual here are some photos as they should clarify the description more fully.

It was well worth doing and I'm very happy with the result:)
Brian.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Well well well. Again great as always!!

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Funny thing, that, Brian. I did the same to my S4Rs Monster when I did the "tail chop".
The nice thing is that I have a friend's horizontal band saw in my garage.

Before
DSCN0029r.jpg

After
1024091049r.jpg

Then I made some bracketry to make the exhaust parallel.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
:)Thanks Erik..and Chuck..,with all of these jobs if you take your time and think carefully about it each step you will be rewarded with success.
Always bear in mind that the end result is what matters so there is no rush....,and 'enjoy' the process.

Your before and after photos clearly show the 'subtle' yet vast improvement that we should strive for Chuck...well done.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
You are very right and will be my problem. Impatient...

·
Super Moderator
22,092 Posts
Thanks, Brian! I bought an air-driven rivet tool because I was also doing this for another bike. Hand-pulling stainless rivets is tough work.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks, Brian! I bought an air-driven rivet tool because I was also doing this for another bike. Hand-pulling stainless rivets is tough work.
Too right Chuck! you'd need to have a 'good hand shake' for that!

I used aluminium rivets as that was what was original in the rest of the can and I wanted to keep to that to retain the 'untouched'/factory look.

Took her out for a spin today..,very pleased with the look and sound.

Couple of before and after comparison shots:)

Attachments

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Brian......I've watched with wonderment all of your mechanical artistry. Clearly you have a skill set somewhat akin to a truly gifted artist.

I've decided that you must have been Vincent Van Gogh in a former life. Why Van Gogh? Easy........extremely talented.....and crazy as a loon.

Please promise me that you'll keep both of your ears, OK?:naughty:

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a deal Randy....., besides I need them both for my reading glasses..., thank you so much for your very kind remarks.
Oh and now I'll be singing ...'bye, bye miss American pie' .,
the rest of the day:laughing:

Wait!!....,that's all wrong!! It should be 'starry starry night'!
Brian:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts