MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Old Wing Nut
25,234 Posts
And the winner is.....The MV F3 800.

Thanks for posting that Susie, and welcome to the forum. Care to introduce yourself?

· Registered
5,781 Posts
That was nice to read!!

· Registered
1,558 Posts
It almost seemed like they were struggling to point out a fault with the F3, while praising the ZX-6R to high heavens. It's nice to see MV Agusta taking a win, but I wish it didn't come off as grudging.

· Registered
948 Posts
I believe that was the first time I have ever read a shootout where an MV won. I does not seem as though it will win the street portion of the comparison but we shall see. Very different point of view compared to those two morons at Motorcyclist.

· Registered
115 Posts
Personally, that was the most enjoyable review/shootout i have read, but not because the MV was declared the winner. Let's be honest, deciding a 'best bike' is still really a large chunk of opinion and varying levels of skill. What I am smiling about is how surprising it was to read that what they had to say about the bike was exactly the opinions I had formed having only had the bike for a month and 1200km. This is huge for me as I would never consider myself a vastly skilled rider (yet) and certainly would never be bold enough to offer up my opinion on such things to others in fear of being labelled a know-nothing moron, (in some cases rightly so). So maybe I can take it a bit easier on myself in the humble and quiet knowledge that...holy shit I was spot on. Final words....this bike has instantly made me feel a more confident and adventurous rider. It fits and suits me like a glove and has enabled me the competence that I didn't realise I had. I absolutely love the machine that MV has produced.

· Registered
536 Posts
My favorite quote from the review:
“But that’s because I was riding it like a grandma. Get stuck in, ride it like you mean it and the MV feels incredible—fast, focused and exotic.”

I believe that was the first time I have ever read a shootout where an MV won. I does not seem as though it will win the street portion of the comparison but we shall see. Very different point of view compared to those two morons at Motorcyclist.
I keep hoping Ari will move on to something else or a different magazine - I can't stand reading his reviews/opinions.

· Registered
305 Posts
I second that test. Their findings of the 800 vs 899 are similar to mine. You have to be in the right gear all the time for the 899 to work and I spent a lot of brain power on that when it could have been used elsewhere. I tended to run wide on the 899 on corner exit and felt the breaks were only so so. It's a fantastic bike. It really is. But I did feel that the f3 was better because the power is so accessible and manageable, the bike turns on a dime and is predictable in corners. It does have that head shake and that's spooked me a few times in the past. Hopefully the damper I'm putting on reduces that somewhat. Loved the 899. Prefer the f3 (mine is the 675 by the way and I still prefer it).

I had a gsxr750. I thought it was a hunk of junk. Hated it and sold it after a few months to get an 848 which rode circles around the Gsxr in my opinion.

I've only ridden the new ninja briefly and while I liked it I don't have a real opinion.

I'm adding steering damper and slipper clutch to mine, and a super bike seat so I can scoot my ass further back (the stock seer tends to slide you forward and cross you up unless you pay attention to that.

· Registered
139 Posts
Personally, that was the most enjoyable review/shootout i have read, but not because the MV was declared the winner. Let's be honest, deciding a 'best bike' is still really a large chunk of opinion and varying levels of skill. What I am smiling about is how surprising it was to read that what they had to say about the bike was exactly the opinions I had formed having only had the bike for a month and 1200km. This is huge for me as I would never consider myself a vastly skilled rider (yet) and certainly would never be bold enough to offer up my opinion on such things to others in fear of being labelled a know-nothing moron, (in some cases rightly so). So maybe I can take it a bit easier on myself in the humble and quiet knowledge that...holy shit I was spot on. Final words....this bike has instantly made me feel a more confident and adventurous rider. It fits and suits me like a glove and has enabled me the competence that I didn't realise I had. I absolutely love the machine that MV has produced.
Perfect. That's my thoughts aboot my 675F3 also. Nicely said. Thanks.

· Registered
671 Posts
I second that test. Their findings of the 800 vs 899 are similar to mine. You have to be in the right gear all the time for the 899 to work and I spent a lot of brain power on that when it could have been used elsewhere. I tended to run wide on the 899 on corner exit and felt the breaks were only so so. It's a fantastic bike. It really is. But I did feel that the f3 was better because the power is so accessible and manageable, the bike turns on a dime and is predictable in corners. It does have that head shake and that's spooked me a few times in the past. Hopefully the damper I'm putting on reduces that somewhat. Loved the 899. Prefer the f3 (mine is the 675 by the way and I still prefer it).

I had a gsxr750. I thought it was a hunk of junk. Hated it and sold it after a few months to get an 848 which rode circles around the Gsxr in my opinion.

I've only ridden the new ninja briefly and while I liked it I don't have a real opinion.

I'm adding steering damper and slipper clutch to mine, and a super bike seat so I can scoot my ass further back (the stock seer tends to slide you forward and cross you up unless you pay attention to that.
I think a GSXR 750 is far from junk. I enjoy my MV on the street but I would pick my 750(track only) over either a 675 or an 800 for the track in the United States. Riding on the street it really does not matter as the conditions(police, road, traffic) determine how hard you can push the bike. You should ride whatever you like or your budget allows. The GSXR is fast, reliable, has great availability of parts and the best aftermarket support of any sportbike sold in the United States. It is a proven product and has the championships and race wins at the club level to back it up.

· Old Wing Nut
25,234 Posts
sleiper1 .....introduce yourself!! We don't bite......welcome to the family, anyway. :)

· Registered
305 Posts
I think a GSXR 750 is far from junk. I enjoy my MV on the street but I would pick my 750(track only) over either a 675 or an 800 for the track in the United States. Riding on the street it really does not matter as the conditions(police, road, traffic) determine how hard you can push the bike. You should ride whatever you like or your budget allows. The GSXR is fast, reliable, has great availability of parts and the best aftermarket support of any sportbike sold in the United States. It is a proven product and has the championships and race wins at the club level to back it up.
OK I stand corrected "I" thought it was a POS ;-)

Bought it (based on recommendations - I had never tried it)... rode it for a few months - hated it. McDonalds is "raved about" and available anywhere... doesn't make it any good lol

It was the most unexciting, uninspired bike I've ever thrown a leg over. It was easy, I'll give you that - boringly easy... the Laura Ingles of street bikes if you like ;-). Every time I rode it I thought I'd fall asleep from sheer boredom. Tried to give it to my GF - even she didn't want it lol.

I briefly got back on one last weekend - 600cc (2013), and my opinion hasn't changed. Yawn... groan... no thanks...

For me... that is... for me... each to their own!

· Registered
671 Posts
OK I stand corrected "I" thought it was a POS ;-)

Bought it (based on recommendations - I had never tried it)... rode it for a few months - hated it. McDonalds is "raved about" and available anywhere... doesn't make it any good lol

It was the most unexciting, uninspired bike I've ever thrown a leg over. It was easy, I'll give you that - boringly easy... the Laura Ingles of street bikes if you like ;-). Every time I rode it I thought I'd fall asleep from sheer boredom. Tried to give it to my GF - even she didn't want it lol.

I briefly got back on one last weekend - 600cc (2013), and my opinion hasn't changed. Yawn... groan... no thanks...

For me... that is... for me... each to their own!
Have at it. Obviously your opinion in the minority. I hope you have fun chasing GSXRs on the track if you ever decide to race them with an MV. I am pretty sure you will get your rear end handed to you on a paper plate.

· Registered
5,189 Posts
I think the Gixxer 750 has been an ideal track day bike for a lot of years. For many track day riders a liter bike has been a quick route to a high side. Now though, traction control gives the track day rider the chance to ride a liter bike with less risk. Thus I believe the Gixxer will lose its following among track day riders. A shame really.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.