MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Was just out on the f4 (750 first gen 2001) this morning, and about half way through my ride, shifting between first to second became impossible without it first going in to neutral and then up in to second, i tried being more positive but to no avail, it was fine to start with then started this all of a sudden, no dodgy gear changes on my part before hand, anybody had a similar experience? or anyone know their way round these gearboxes?

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
?

Yes, MV gear boxes are excellent
Since it only involves 1st to 2nd (another member had the same problem after the bike sitting for a time, riding it cured it)
Study page G11 of the Parts Manual

Possible culprits
dirt inside #20
springs #25 &#30
and the neutral switch

If you go into the shift mechanism, when removing the cover press on the shift lever so everything stays in place

My recommendation;
Put the bike on a rear stand
Zip tie the clutch lever down and have a helper turn the wheel while you shift
Turn the wheel forwards and backwards
:wink2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for taking the time and effort to reply to my question, i will try what you suggest, i noticed that the neutral light was not coming on when it was in neutral, so your suggestions are probably near the mark, i will hopefully get a few hours to investigate this coming week, works been very busy! thanks again, and i will try and remember to update when have explored/investigated and repaired.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Thanks for taking the time and effort to reply to my question, i will try what you suggest, i noticed that the neutral light was not coming on when it was in neutral, so your suggestions are probably near the mark, i will hopefully get a few hours to investigate this coming week, works been very busy! thanks again, and i will try and remember to update when have explored/investigated and repaired.
Id probably go ahead and order one. When mine was doing this I pulled it and there was oil residue and some corresponding sticking to the switch. My bike had sat for some time before buying it and Id think some seals might have gotten dry spots. Replaced the switch and have been good for 6 years and 15k miles since. Even pulled and inspected the switch and it was clean. Guess since i ride the bike regularly the seal was properly hydrated and didnt leak anymore.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm the other member that Noel was talking about. I have a 2005 Brutale 750, it had sat for quite a while before I aquired it. Between 1st and 2nd it would get "caught" in neutral and would not go into 2nd to save my life. The problem resolved itself after riding the snot out of it. As soon as I got it up to not legal speeds, it fixed itself. I havent had an issue with the gearbox since. I dont know if that would help, but hopefully it is an easy fix for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts