MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to reverse the shift pattern on my 312 (to Reverse/GP Shift). I've read on this forum that there are 2 ways to do this (1) get a shift drum or (2) get Sato/Gilles rearsets.

Which do you guys recommend? My current dilemma is that the Sato/Gilles may be best performance wise, but I'm very hesitant to put non-MV parts on my MV (kinda like altering a Picasso piece).

Finally, where can I buy the shift drum?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I wouldn't be reluctant to change the rearsets, personaly I think MV (and Ducati) put crap rearsets (in both look and function) on their sports bikes.

IMHO changing the drum is the way to go and you don't have to worry about the linkage, looks cleaner and performs better.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
sorry, but i'm lazy... how much is a new drum? i was thinking of switching to GP shift as well.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
odonata said:
reverse drum is about $160,http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9332&page=1&pp=10&highlight=corse but the installation can cost quite a bit of money depending where you have it done... I just wrapped up the installation myself and it took me about 1 & 1/2 day! check my album for some pics... http://gallery.mvagusta.net/odonata_reverseshift
Waooo! I thought you are cellist? :violin:

I have changed also the drum (not myself) and the costs: part/labour, was the same (3 hours).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ask RobP. He had his drum done at Munroe's in San Fransisco.
MikeR

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
hmmm... only $160? i may be doing this swap sooner than i thought! i'll do it myself, tho. i don't even want to know how much it will be to have a Japanese shop do it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
odonata said:
3 hours? that is lightening fast, clearly they are experienced and your money well spent!
You are right, they (authorized service) are fast, but the difference is that they, not only, don’t play cello but further more they don’t even know what a cello is.

As for me, I have a tendency to destroy the bolts, to scratch the parts, …So, my money is well saved.

Nice album. Good work, congratulation.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I had mine done for around $350. Small shop that took alot of pride in there work.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! Sounds like a lot of work. May be better off getting those aftermarket rearsets since I'm not sure if reverse shift pattern's something I'd get used to. Would suck if I had to spend 3 hours installing the drum and another 3 hours uninstalling it!!!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I've opted for the rearsets solution for a couple of reasons. The original footpegs on the bike aren't as good as the after market and as the bike is destined for some track time (I've already had a foot slip off in general riding) I wanted a better grip.

Next, if you sell the bike it is easier and cheaper to put back to road pettern. Important as most riders will want/only ride road pattern

Finally, every other bike I own bar one is race pattern which is now my preferred option.

It isn't that hard to get used to race pattern. I did it at a track day

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
tvass said:
You are right, they (authorized service) are fast, but the difference is that they, not only, don’t play cello but further more they don’t even know what a cello is.

As for me, I have a tendency to destroy the bolts, to scratch the parts, …So, my money is well saved.

Nice album. Good work, congratulation.
haha thanks...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts