MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic's been discussed ad nauseum, but does there exist a shift drum for the Brutale that DOESN'T have neutral in the middle of 1st and 2nd gear REGARDLESS of direction? I know (by reading the past threads) that you can reverse the shift pattern either by shift drum or linkage but this still has the horrible, horrible neutral gear in between. I'd prefer having neutral at the top and tapping DOWN to upshift (to a higher gear); and, inversely kicking UP to downshift (to a lower gear). For me, at least, this seems logical and natural. So, I did a search for Brutale shift drums and found the standard reverse GP shift. Does anyone know if this magical shift drum exists and can you include a link to a part number? :ahhh:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I can't understand why you'd want this, nor is it any of my business, but no constant mesh transmission I've ever seen could be made to work that way. Most utilise a common dog clutch for 1st and 2nd.

I'd prefer not to downshift into Neutral under any circumstances. A panic shift to 1st is dangerous enough.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may be mistaken cuz my eye sight isn't as good as it used to be but when I watch the Moto GP or any other motorcycle race on TV, they often flash the gear indicator of whatever bike they're monitoring. Every one I've seen has a 654321N configuration so I assumed it was commercially available. I'm probably in the loner camp but I instinctively want to press DOWN to bump up the gear to go faster, like pressing the accelerator pedal on a car. I want to kick UP to downshift and make the bike slower. To me it makes sense. I've never liked the pause or jump between first and second gear. I wonder though if the neutral between first and second isn't a carryover from an automobile's (manual) gearing. I've never had a panic shift into first ever, regardless of configuration but I have misgeared into second gear from both up and down configurations. It could be I just suck at shifting into second gear.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I must admit I haven't seen any such display on TV.
It's probably more to do with a programme editors idea than reality.
Not that I think TV lies or anything...
Most true race bikes are 1 up and 5 down.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Red Enough,

Here I am believing in TV! D'Oh! Oh, Homer Simpson, where are you when I need you? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
186 Posts
"Neutral is not placed "below" first gear to prevent the rider accidentally selecting neutral while attempting to downshift to first gear, possibly leading to an accident."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_construction

Scroll down to the "Transmission" Section

1 - 6 of 6 Posts