MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Went to my dealer last year. Told him i wanted a Li-ion battery and he came with the Unibat X-Racer. Light, tiny and until now problem free. I'm no expert on batteries so i was glad to put some money in my dealers pockets.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
As long as the charger does not go into disulphate mode, it can be used on a LiFo battery, or most of them at least.
The extra cost involved with a LiFo specific charger is small change for the convenience in the long run, do your research properly gentleman, this topic has been discussed many times. LiFo batteries have come a long in recent years, with different options in internal cell balancing (BMS) or external ports for specific chargers.

I use a 8-cell Antigravity and it spins the motor quicker than anything else I've tried, similar to the 12-cell Ballistic.

Do your research, I can't stress this enough, batteries are not all batteries. Notice the differences in names, Lithium Irion and Lithium Ion, Li-Po and Li-Po4.
Pictures here.
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1835793#post1835793
I would also be interested in one of these , is there a big weight saving , can you use the charger that comes with the bike ?
This is a well discussed topic and definatly not model specific, wether it's a maintenance issue or performance related, look around a bit more.

·
Registered
539 Posts
i have the Shido MV Corse Li-po battery on my 1090RR. It was a free upgrade from new by the dealer, as the battery supplied with the bike did not hold charge, and all they had in stock the day of collection was the upgrade battery. Shop around and you can get them a lot cheaper than RRP

http://www.mvagusta.com/en-gb/discover-mv/special-parts/racing-accessories/brutale-1090/lithium-battery/

So far its been great, even has a small button and charge indicator, so when you lift the seat you can get charge status

I have a Shorai lithium battery on my other bike for about 4 years now too. It saved a few KG of weight high up on the neck of the bike, was quite noticeable (other bike is a Harley, any weight loss is good)

I dont ride the MV on Supercorsa tyres when its close to zero degrees celcius, but I do ride the Harley through winter, its on more suitable tyres. When starting on a cold morning, I just leave the ignition on whilst getting suited up in garage, then it starts real easy. Cold start procedure on these batteries is something to be aware of.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
When starting on a cold morning, I just leave the ignition on whilst getting suited up in garage, then it starts real easy. Cold start procedure on these batteries is something to be aware of.
There's a good example in the link I posted above.

·
Registered
539 Posts
There's a good example in the link I posted above.
Yeah, i watched that. Never had that happen to me, maybe not cold enough. Even in winter it starts 2nd crank....after I have left ignition on for a minute or two...I guess thats warmed it through enough

I dont ride in temps below say 5 deg Celsius ambient though.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts