MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since my daughter was little, she has asked about riding the motorcycle. We decided early on that 8 would be a good age to give it a try, so as she neared her eighth birthday in July, she periodically asked about when she gets to go for a ride.

This past weekend, we went shopping for gear (not much choice available for kids when it comes to street gear). And on Sunday, we went for our first ride together.

She's hooked! She had a great time on our short ride and now wants to go on another longer ride.

It's a difficult thing, this motorcycling. On the one hand I want to share my joy of motorcycling, and on the other, as a father, I worry about her safety. I know there are families that get involved in off road riding with their kids at a much earlier age, but I've never been dirt biking, so this is my way of introducing her to motorcycling for now. If she ends up inquiring about riding a dirt bike, we'll have to take it from there.

Kids, they grow up so fast!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Great Photo,hang on tight,I feel a bit better as my daughter is now 23 and riding well.still i always worry.Have fun.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Look at my avatar......my grand daughter and her mother on her second birthday.......at 20mph.

I know exactly how you feel. My baby wants to ride, standing in front of me, on my Ruckus.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
That's awesome. I remember going on rides with my dad back in the day. When (if) I reproduce, my child will be immersed in the motorcycle world, male or female.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Great photo, Ic. I also fear for my boys when they ride with me, but that harness with handles is a really great help for the kids to hang on!
And once they ride with us...they get hooked for life!

Sebi bike.jpg

·
Registered
837 Posts
If you fear for them riding on the back of your bike, wait til you have to follow them hooning it on the road or around a track .......

Both my kids have ridden on the back of me from around 10yrs old, though not the MV ..... and those handle made a huge difference to both theirs and my comfort and their security and enjoyment, thats why I recommended them :)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
If she ends up inquiring about riding a dirt bike, we'll have to take it from there.
One of my earliest memories was riding on the back (I dont recall any gear) of a little 50cc "dirt bike" around our cul de sac. We eventually upgraded to 250s, then him British bikes and me Italian. Both my brother and I made it past 30, she should do fine.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My daughter is 10 and we go out every now and then just for a few miles . It makes me really nervous! . She has textile trousers and jacket and likes the pillion handles around my waist . She's been on my MV once but prefers the hornet and also my Honda vision scooter .

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
5 years later...

My daughter stopped riding with me a couple of years ago due to her growth and us not wanting to spend the money on new gear that she would then grow out of quickly again.

Recently she had been expressing interest in riding with me again, so we decided to get her a new helmet and jacket and went for a ride today. She is a little taller now :smile2: (and she is tall for her age).

We are considering taking a dirt riding class together sometime in the near future - me never having ridden off-road and her riding for the first time (she is 13). Seems like the safest and cheapest way to she if she'd like to ride on her own. Am I nervous about it? Yes, but as I said in my original post, motorcycling is an important part of my life, so it is good to share with her.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
very cool mate
same bike as well even better

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
It's a difficult thing, this motorcycling. On the one hand I want to share my joy of motorcycling, and on the other, as a father, I worry about her safety.
I dont know if you want to take me as evidence but my family has always had an "its starts in the home" attitude. That goes for anything. Alcohol, guns, motorcycles,etc.

My first color memory is riding on the tank of a pit bike, then we had dirt bikes growing up. If she wants to do it she is going to do it, by mentoring her yourself you can make sure at least she is doing it as correctly/safely as possible.

Also protip re: alcohol. If you can drink better quality stuff at home it really takes the "coolness" out of getting hammered on Milwaukees Beast, binge drinking was ruined for me.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I dont know if you want to take me as evidence but my family has always had an "its starts in the home" attitude. That goes for anything. Alcohol, guns, motorcycles,etc.

My first color memory is riding on the tank of a pit bike, then we had dirt bikes growing up. If she wants to do it she is going to do it, by mentoring her yourself you can make sure at least she is doing it as correctly/safely as possible.

Also protip re: alcohol. If you can drink better quality stuff at home it really takes the "coolness" out of getting hammered on Milwaukees Beast, binge drinking was ruined for me.
Same..Ryan
I have four kids, two girls and two boys, 19-24, who have or had bikes and ridden with me since little ones. All have handled guns and always approach one as loaded, safety off and one in the chamber. After verbally declared clear, they know not to point in the direction of a person.

I like your protip. I have a friend who locks their alcohol, and I think it becomes "forbidden fruit."
There have never been teenage parties at my house. I never wanted to get a call from a kid who brought alcohol and hear a parent complain that I allowed it.

I offered my kids whiskey early on to let them know what I drink is not forbidden, but taste like diesel fuel. None have been intrigued by alcohol. Two of them drink socially and two don't.

It sounds like we have raised our Georgia kids similarly.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I've done this several times and there are always a lot of new riders (wives, friends, kids, etc) who learn a lot. They split people into different groups by skill and do a good job making sure everyone is comfortable and is learning something about riding. You both should go if you can get a chance. Of every school, camp, experience I've done, this is by far the bast value and most learning.

https://www.americansupercamp.com/

·
Registered
13 Posts
My daughter stopped riding with me a couple of years ago due to her growth and us not wanting to spend the money on new gear that she would then grow out of quickly again.

Recently she had been expressing interest in riding with me again, so we decided to get her a new helmet and jacket and went for a ride today. She is a little taller now :smile2: (and she is tall for her age).

We are considering taking a dirt riding class together sometime in the near future - me never having ridden off-road and her riding for the first time (she is 13). Seems like the safest and cheapest way to she if she'd like to ride on her own. Am I nervous about it? Yes, but as I said in my original post, motorcycling is an important part of my life, so it is good to share with her.
Better car, bigger daughter but same bike, hahaha nice!!! :laughing:

I think you are a fortunate man and dad because you can enjoy your motorbike with your daughter, without argue with your wife and because your daugter want it (not ony you).

I think if you ride slow, responsible and smooth, you both can enjoy the bike in a safety way. Accidents happends but she can hurts crossing the street, and she didn´t experienced the happiness of enjoy time with her father riding a bike.

We only live once, so... we have to enjoy it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've done this several times and there are always a lot of new riders (wives, friends, kids, etc) who learn a lot. They split people into different groups by skill and do a good job making sure everyone is comfortable and is learning something about riding. You both should go if you can get a chance. Of every school, camp, experience I've done, this is by far the bast value and most learning.

https://www.americansupercamp.com/

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts