MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sense a nervous behaviour of the front end while applying the front brake. I have tried to rock the fork legs back and forth but there is no obvious movment. What is most likely?

Is it the rotors/discs that needs to be shimmed or is it the steering bearings that needs to be tightened? Either me or the previous owner have done any wheelis or anything. I don´t feel any pulsation in the brake lever so I am a bit confused. Any pointers?

Cheers!

Magnus

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Can you lift the front of the bike clear of the ground and then check those steering bearing again.
With no pulse on the lever this does not sound like warped disc's.

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
Magnus;
my vote;
steering head bearings are loose or the head stock bearing cartridge lock ring isn't torqued correctly

check the service manual for the specs

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Magnus;
my vote;
steering head bearings are loose or the head stock bearing cartridge lock ring isn't torqued correctly

check the service manual for the specs
OK so there is movment back and forth when moving the fork legs with the wheel of the ground... Can I keep riding like that?

Is it just to tighten the bearings or what do I do next?

//Magnus

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
OK so there is movment back and forth when moving the fork legs with the wheel of the ground... Can I keep riding like that?

Is it just to tighten the bearings or what do I do next?

//Magnus
Just what I was thinking. Okay. I would not ride it, you may damage the bearing if it's not already damaged.
Have a look in the workshop manual on how to tension up the bearing, but I would honestly replace or at the least service that whole lot.

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
Magnus;
do not ride your bike with loose bearings or lock ring

there is a torque value for the lock ring
there is a torque value + number of degrees to tighten the steering stem

it takes 2 MV tools to do this

post up where you are.....maybe someone near you has them, copies are on Ebay

you can guesstimate it with an adjustable pin spanner, but i don't recommend it

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So I ended up tightening tis thing and the play was gone. Is this the thingy you referred to?
[/URL]

I did not do anything about the lock ring, since I don´t have the tool and it still have the factory yellow mark up perfectly lined up.
I just tightend the "thingy" by ear as little as possible just enough to have the play gone.

Cheers!

Magnus

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
So I ended up tightening tis thing and the play was gone. Is this the thingy you referred to?
[/URL]

I did not do anything about the lock ring, since I don´t have the tool and it still have the factory yellow mark up perfectly lined up.
I just tightend the "thingy" by ear as little as possible just enough to have the play gone.

Cheers!

Magnus
Yeah that will do mate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's your rotor buttons. Brembo's are notorious for this. I just remedied mine recently. Brake dust gathers in the rottor buttons causing the semi-floating to be soild. Soak all the buttons with brake cleaner. I used two cans. Then soak the rotors in a solution of HOT water and Simple green for a couple hours. Ideally, remove the petal washers and make them full floating.

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
?

CBBOO;
yes, the thing you have the spanner on is the steering stem lock nut, it adjusts the play in the steering head bearings, the lock ring below that with the 12 holes, tensions the bearing cartridge

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
It's your rotor buttons. Brembo's are notorious for this. I just remedied mine recently. Brake dust gathers in the rottor buttons causing the semi-floating to be soild. Soak all the buttons with brake cleaner. I used two cans. Then soak the rotors in a solution of HOT water and Simple green for a couple hours. Ideally, remove the petal washers and make them full floating.
Could you feel the vibration in your lever ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts