MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by Desmoto Sport in San Fran. on Friday to check on my early winter project. Scott, (owner) had already installed the rear Marchi 10 spoke, the Ohlins rear shock, eMoto rear fender and MV Corse mid-pipe. It all looks gorgeous. He sent the front inner forks to get them ti-nitrated - he suggested black..sweeeet. As soon as they return, on pop the MotoCorse front radial bottom ends and my new Brembo radial monoblock brakes. Can't wait. Curious, but he advised not to bother with a full RG3 system, just the mid-pipe to get rid of the cat. Something to do with a loss of power at the bottom end. Comments???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I think he's probably right and being honest with you about the Rg3 set-up. It would depend on your personal expectations / preception of course, but the difference if at all would most likely be on the top end and with the proper apping at that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MV1 said:
I think he's probably right and being honest with you about the Rg3 set-up. It would depend on your personal expectations / preception of course, but the difference if at all would most likely be on the top end and with the proper apping at that.
That's exactly what he said. For the gain of a few extra hp up top which I'll probably never use, Scott said that the power curve suffers down low. He said getting rid of the cat. changing out the mid-pipe is the better way to go.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vananator said:
Please Do You Have Pics Of The Full Bike With The Black Wheels? Thanks Van
It won't be ready until the fork inners have come back from ti-nitrated. I'll swing by Tuesday and ask when he will have the wheels mounted.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I disagree. If you are buying the RG3s for the added performance, you are probably in the top percentile of riders and then may be better off leaving the stock exhaust on. You may see a drop in torque on paper but I doubt it will register on the butt dyno. If, on the other hand, you want spine tingling sound, and jaw dropping good looks, you can't go wrong with the RG3s.

CAG

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CAG said:
I disagree. If you are buying the RG3s for the added performance, you are probably in the top percentile of riders and then may be better off leaving the stock exhaust on. You may see a drop in torque on paper but I doubt it will register on the butt dyno. If, on the other hand, you want spine tingling sound, and jaw dropping good looks, you can't go wrong with the RG3s.

CAG
By removing the OEM mid-pipe is there a difference to the exhaust sound. I agree, the RG3 pipes look good , but so to the stock pipe ends. Apart from the color of the tips, they look the same to me. I don't mind the bronze tip look of the OEM's. I chose to spend my $$$ on the satin black marchesini's and ti mid-pipe than the RG3 slip-ons.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rockethouse said:
Please let us know, this was a mod I have been thinking of for some time.
Will do. Can't wait to get it on the track or Hwy 1 here in Marin County, CA. Vee2's bike looks awesome with the black Marchi's. That's exactly the look I wanted to go for.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I don't think you will notice a difference in the sound by changing the midpipe. The cat on these bikes is not that restrictive. The biggest change is in the slipons. Also, if you look down the back of your slipons, you will see they are quite restricted. The RG3s look open all the way in. I'll go out on a limb and guess because the cat is not restrictive your major gains will be weight savings not hp or torque. My opinion, and it is only that, is that the slipons are much more restrictive than the RG3s and that you will gain more hp and better sound using them. Perhaps you will lose a little torque but not enough that you would notice.

I will promise you this: the sound alone from the RG3s is worth the price of admission.

CAG

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
CAG said:
I don't think you will notice a difference in the sound by changing the midpipe. The cat on these bikes is not that restrictive. The biggest change is in the slipons. Also, if you look down the back of your slipons, you will see they are quite restricted. The RG3s look open all the way in. I'll go out on a limb and guess because the cat is not restrictive your major gains will be weight savings not hp or torque. My opinion, and it is only that, is that the slipons are much more restrictive than the RG3s and that you will gain more hp and better sound using them. Perhaps you will lose a little torque but not enough that you would notice.

I will promise you this: the sound alone from the RG3s is worth the price of admission.

CAG
I hear you Cag, I'm just gonna have to save harder having spent a small fortune on the CF, rear shock, the billet m/c's and radial brembo's, (and a 'new' '92 Ducati 888).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts