MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am puchasing a 2011 1090R in the next 2 weeks. I have put my deposit down already...only problem is the 2013 1090RR looks just as sexy. I want the R because the engine. Now I know some of you will jump on me about this, because some may think they are the same. I have read that the R has more torque, less HP. I like torque. I understand the RR has better wheels, more adjustable suspension, steering damper, slipper clutch, better brakes, and a nicer looking seat. So those are the differences I have read about. Difference in price between the two...I'm saving over $6,000.00...all of which will go back into the bike, just different areas. If I go with the R, will I be disappointed that I didn't get the RR? This will not be a track bike. Any bit of criticism is strongly encouraged

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ive got a 2010 1090RR and at the time the 990 was the only other option for the new generation Brutale .

Even with all the other options now available i would still go for the RR - its a bit more special .

·
Registered
465 Posts
The RR has more bang for the buck.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Get the bike that best fits your wants/needs........and don't worry about anyone else's opinion.......unless they're invested in your decision.

PS......welcome to the forum. Hope you have fun here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not that I'm leaving the decision to someone else...it's just that you guys have these bikes. Sadly there are not many MV's in my area, and I already know more about them (thanks in large part to this forum!!) than the salesmen do. They just tell me how good of a bike it is. I have read every thread on this site since 2010 and have learnt soooo much. I have also admired many pics and what some of you have done to customize your rides, and already have a plan in place as to what I'm going to do to mine. What I'm trying to figure out is this...are the brakes that much better on the RR? Suspension that much more adjustable? At what speed would a steering damper be a noticeable item on the Brutale? Most of my riding will be on mountain twisties and back country highways. Kind of a weekend warrior...just pack a bag and go!!

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Casey, you've read every post since 2010 and you've just now joined? :wtf:

Shame......shame......shame......:stickpoke. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's not that I'm leaving the decision to someone else...it's just that you guys have these bikes. Sadly there are not many MV's in my area, and I already know more about them (thanks in large part to this forum!!) than the salesmen do. They just tell me how good of a bike it is. I have read every thread on this site since 2010 and have learnt soooo much. I have also admired many pics and what some of you have done to customize your rides, and already have a plan in place as to what I'm going to do to mine. What I'm trying to figure out is this...are the brakes that much better on the RR? Suspension that much more adjustable? At what speed would a steering damper be a noticeable item on the Brutale? Most of my riding will be on mountain twisties and back country highways. Kind of a weekend warrior...just pack a bag and go!!
Hi Casey,when i was buying my 2011RR i rode it back to back with an R and you can pick the lighter steering and fantastic feel of the monobloc brakes,but there was only a couple of grand difference in price, so to me it was a much better deal when you consider the cost of wheels,brakes,clutch to add after market let alone the frame,suspension,tyres and paint,but at 6 grand difference i think i'd be thinking twice,i've not needed the steering damper and most of my riding is on backroads and the bike is so confidence inspiring with it's balance and planted feeling,let alone the torque and top end,they are a real hoot and at 7000k it's been totally reliable.Good luck Steve

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi Casey,when i was buying my 2011RR i rode it back to back with an R and you can pick the lighter steering and fantastic feel of the monobloc brakes,but there was only a couple of grand difference in price, so to me it was a much better deal when you consider the cost of wheels,brakes,clutch to add after market let alone the frame,suspension,tyres and paint,but at 6 grand difference i think i'd be thinking twice,i've not needed the steering damper and most of my riding is on backroads and the bike is so confidence inspiring with it's balance and planted feeling,let alone the torque and top end,they are a real hoot and at 7000k it's been totally reliable.Good luck Steve
+1 . The steering damper is handy to prevent a tank slapper. It's one of those things that you don't realize you need until you hit an unexpected rut or pothole. The R is a fine machine, but if you can get a leftover RR for the same price, why not? There isn't enough difference between the 2010 to 2013 models to sway me from the RR. I was actually in your position this January, and my salesman steered me towards the cheaper RR leftover. I was just getting more for my money. But it's your opinion that matters in the end. Either bike you pick will be great.

·
Super Moderator
22,486 Posts
Because of the style of riding you do, you will enjoy the better brakes and suspension...especially if you tweak them to your taste. It's always cheaper to buy the bike outfitted rather than upgrade later. (I think.:smoking:)

Welcome.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
your going to miss the slipper clutch,if you ride hard,wich you will?
now for the steering dampner on the 1090 ,waste of time,get a good after market one ,we had to do this with my mates 1090 rr,brakes no big deal,they will pull you up,suspesion, set it up properly and it will do you fine,your not track racing here.

my main downer is the slipper clutch.

cheers eddy

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You would be better off buying a snow mobile :stickpoke :)

Seriously though, apart from what you decide, the 1090RR is the top of the range - will you use the extra's ? - you will need to decide.

Eddypro is correct, the steering dampner is pretty crap, but to buy another will cost a few $$$.

The slipper clutch is a must though, in my opinion...:smoking:

Good luck and enjoy - whichever model you choose ! :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was trying to decide on the r or rr when i brought mine, for the similar reasons, i love torque to punch out of corners. Then i saw the matt black RR and the r was off the table.... plus as said before there was less than 3k difference here.

Steering dampener is a handy thing, they overly noticable but i have felt mine doing its job a couple of times, power wheelies out of corners and the steering will lighten up, unexpected potholes, it also gives (possibly just a perception) a bit more stability when doing some higher speed cornering

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Randy...thanks for the welcome. Yeah, I'll admit it...I was creeping this site a little bit...lol Honestly though, so informative!! I came across it one day and just kept coming back, so finally I registered. What I really like about this forum is that questions get answered...even stupid ones!! It's so hard to find good information about these bikes, so it's a relief to find a group like this that like to take pride in their bikes and share their knowlegde. I was a snow storm away from being on a Benelli forum...I guess I'm kind of thankful for the 8 months of crappy weather...

·
Registered
456 Posts
the steering damper is crap on the 1090rr, if you get the r and you save 6k you can easily add an ohlins steering damper and a slipper clutch for a few thousand and still have saved a few k for your pocket to invest in something else.

not sure what the difference in brakes and wheels are or if yuou will feel it, maybe you will or maybe you won't but the savings in money may be worth it for you. remember you might sell the bike in a few years for a new mv so consider that. the great thing is the new ones now have abs which if it was available for mine back in 2010 i would have gotten that in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Randy...thanks for the welcome. Yeah, I'll admit it...I was creeping this site a little bit...lol Honestly though, so informative!! I came across it one day and just kept coming back, so finally I registered. What I really like about this forum is that questions get answered...even stupid ones!! It's so hard to find good information about these bikes, so it's a relief to find a group like this that like to take pride in their bikes and share their knowlegde. I was a snow storm away from being on a Benelli forum...I guess I'm kind of thankful for the 8 months of crappy weather...

Casey, we've got a sizable group of knowledgeable techno-weenies that pretty much know everything you might imagine about MV. In addition, we've also got a few guys that also know about vintage MVs as well.

BTW, I'm not in either group. :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Hey all, I'm new to the thread too and actually went with the 1090 R in February. Regardless of winter I've already gotten 500kms on it and couldn't be happier. The RR awefully tempting, but I figured little track use and more bitty brakes didn't warrant the RR at the time. The R is plenty of bike, granted the slipper clutch would make a smoother ride, but I like quick speed drop when I let off the throttle and can live with it. Haven't noticed the lack of steering dampener, but we'll see on the twisties once winter leaves the mountains.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts