MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just talked to Evoluzion (simi valley Ca) about setting sag on my 04 750. I haven't started the process yet (need more people) but I was wondering if anyone that is about my weight has successfully set sag on their 750. Ken from Evoluzion suggested that it might not be possible, and I may have to change out my springs.

I am 5' 8" and I weigh about 140 pounds. I was going to set my high and low speed compression first, but I was told that sag should be done first.

I have no prior experience with such things so any help would be appreciated ( I do have several articles that talk about how to set sag and I know that rear static should be 5-10mm (30mm with me on bike), front 5-15mm (35mm with me on bike).

Currently I believe the bike is stock and it is a really hard ride. I'm bouncing out of the seat and it only gets worse with speed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
harsh ride

I too have an 04 Brutale S and have not set sag yet but have played with the preload, compression and damping on both ends. 5'8" and 170 lbs. so a bit heavier than you. Just a tad (1-2 clicks) over the standard settings are just about right for me on the street and a bit more at the track. At 140 lbs. you should probably start at the soft settings and go up from there. I am sure you'll find the ride much more supple before having to think about springs, etc. :blah:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The most likely reason you're bouncing out of the seat is due to the overly harsh compression.

With the wacky stock setup range on the Marzocchis your compression can be so stiff you'll bounce right out of the seat even if the springs are too soft. Tough to believe but that was how my bike came from the factory.

Don't assume you can fix everything with a screwdriver. ;)

With your weight I'm guessing you have too HARD a spring AND too much compression. No wonder you're bouncing out of the seat. Your best bet is to deal with the springs first by checking sag and changing them if you can't set the sag properly. Once that's correct then deal with other adjustments. Motorcyclist Online has some great online articles which will give you the basics and Marzocchi USA has alternate springs available if that turns out to be the case.

You'll probably have to do it yourself because nobody in the US - not Lindemann, not Pettersen, not Race Tech and not any of the many dealers I've talked to - seems to know jack about Marzocchis because they are relatively new and there are so few of them out there (and almost nobody races them, not even Munroe Motors who changed out the Marzocchis on Chuck Sorensens bike in favor of Ohlins).

Once you get the Marzocchis set up properly they can be very plush and at the same time give great feedback. Springs first, so check your sag and go from there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts