MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

This post is directed at all the MV Agusta owners located in South Africa. As I'm sure you are all aware by now, Cayenne closed their doors on Friday 21 September, leaving many people in the lurch - myself included...

I bought my bike from them almost a month ago and was going to service with them when the time comes, but now I am wondering where I can get my bike serviced in the Johannesburg area? Your recommendations are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That’s a bit of a shocker. I wasn’t aware that they closed down. So there is no longer any support in ZA...

I just bought my second MV a month ago.

I ordered a bunch of extra filters etc from the UK - I’ll probably end up taking my bikes to a Ducati dealer (with the service kits), and see if they would be willing to help

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Pulse, thanks for the reply. Are you based in Jo'berg?

Yup, shocker indeed... They gave me a R3500 voucher on Monday, valid for 6 months (against an alarm they didn't install but still charged for) and closed on Friday. I'm going to be looking into laying fraud charges against them...

Just found this post saying that Northcliff Motorcycles are "MV Agusta approved". Going to call them in the morning...
https://www.assist247.co.za/search/service-provider.aspx?sp_id=2442740&name=northcliff-motorcycles

Keep me posted if you find anything out please (and I'll do the same), still got about 4500km till my next service but I'm a bit concerned about this and where it leaves us...

I must also get the details from you about the service kit you got if you don't mind - where from, costs, shipping, etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’m in Centurion, so Northcliff won’t be too bad... hope they (or someone else) will take over Mv.

Depending on the exchange rate, bringing parts in is about 1/3 to 1/2 the price I could get it at Cayenne. I’ll have a look in the morning and send you the details.

I’ll go and chat to the Ducati guys on Saturday and see if they will be willing to assist.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Damn, not surprised but was hoping they would hold out a little longer.

I had my new updated clutch basket arrive from Europe and was hoping that they could install it with the revised cush drive rubbers that they were supposed to install under warranty...

Anyway, subscribed. Let us know on the developments.

Hopefully someone in a better financial situation can take over...

(Im Pretoria based btw)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Ive just sent an email to MV asking this question and CCed Rob from Ride Fast, Natalie from Superbike Mag and Matt from the Bike Show. There are a quite a few owners that will be impacted by this.

Will keep you posted from my side, but likewise let us know if you hear anything.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thank you PTsalas.
Matt has always had a high regard for the MVs.
I looked on MVs website, and couldn’t believe some of the African countries that have dealers. I hope this can be resolved soon

·
Registered
113 Posts
Holy crap. I didn't even know that they closed. First Full throttle, now this? I wonder if they not doing like everyone else and leaving ZA for greener shores?

As for my Service I do them myself, though my bikes are a bit older and I have no intention of selling.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Holy crap. I didn't even know that they closed. First Full throttle, now this? I wonder if they not doing like everyone else and leaving ZA for greener shores?

As for my Service I do them myself, though my bikes are a bit older and I have no intention of selling.
Negative on the moving for greener pastures, if you have been to either full throttle or Cayanne the past year, you would have noticed their inventory shrinking substantially. This was a sign that their credit limits with supplier had been reached. They then limped along for a year with hardly any bikes or kit to sell until creditors closed them down.

You would not pack up a profitable business to go to greener pastures. I think the rand euro exchange rate and maybe bad business decisions killed them (who will by an F3 800 base model for R290 000?).

Craig Langton from Fire It Up is doing fantastic (or at least it looks that way from the outside). Since he left, Cayanne has been on the way down. Hardly anyone was servicing their bikes there anymore. I remember dozens of bikes being serviced back in 2012 and a packed showroom. I saw maybe 2 bikes being serviced and maybe 15 bikes (all used or demo) on the showroom when I went there last month.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi PTsalas, I agree, this is not a greener pastures scenario. When I was there last month, there were very few bikes on the floor and hardly any accessory stock. Took them a week to get the helmet I wanted and nearly 3 to get my jacket - and they still owe me R3500...

The number on the link posted above is a bust, clearly an old listing that hasn't been removed. I've contacted HK Performance Bikes and am waiting for a reply. I'm planning on trying S4 Lifestyle and Fire it Up when I get a gap today. Will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was reading up on them a bit yesterday. It seems there have been issues for a while.

Most of the bikes that were for sale were ‘consignment’ from private sellers that sold the bikes on their floor. Many of these have apparently not been paid - months after bikes were sold. I’ve seen several complaints where they never paid over the settlements to banks etc.

Definately not a greener pastures scenario...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys, just had an interesting call from a manager at TRAFICC - the guys who administer the warranty side for Cayenne. They have also not heard anything "official" from Cayenne, but are now looking into this.

He has contacted MV Agusta in Italy for alternate dealerships that can do the servicing and repairs (without affecting the warranty). He is busy gathering and compiling information and will be sending me an update in a couple days with where we stand - and hopefully where we can get our bikes serviced.

I also heard back from HK Performance Bikes, who says he does work on MV Agusta and can definitely help. I will still need to ascertain whether he is RMI accredited, which is an insurance requirement.

It is a positive development that there is some progress being made, and therre's some light at the end of this tunnel. Will keep you abreast of developments.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Hi guys, just had an interesting call from a manager at TRAFICC - the guys who administer the warranty side for Cayenne. They have also not heard anything "official" from Cayenne, but are now looking into this.

He has contacted MV Agusta in Italy for alternate dealerships that can do the servicing and repairs (without affecting the warranty). He is busy gathering and compiling information and will be sending me an update in a couple days with where we stand - and hopefully where we can get our bikes serviced.

I also heard back from HK Performance Bikes, who says he does work on MV Agusta and can definitely help. I will still need to ascertain whether he is RMI accredited, which is an insurance requirement.

It is a positive development that there is some progress being made, and therre's some light at the end of this tunnel. Will keep you abreast of developments.
Great, keep us informed.

I just realised that Aprilia , Norton and Beta owners are in the same boat as Cayanne was the sole importer for them as well.

Wonder if Fireitup would consider taking up those franchises as Craig had great experience with those brands.

*Just sent Berto at Fireitup an email, lets see what he says...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well, being an ex Saffer and willing to help out a mate, please feel free to ship your bike out to Australia where i will receive it, have it serviced by MV Agusta Parramatta (arguably one of the best MV dealers in the world), whereafter i will give it a proper test through some of New South Wales finest Roads (to ensure the quality of service off course), and then ship it back to you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, being an ex Saffer and willing to help out a mate, please feel free to ship your bike out to Australia where i will receive it, have it serviced by MV Agusta Parramatta (arguably one of the best MV dealers in the world), whereafter i will give it a proper test through some of New South Wales finest Roads (to ensure the quality of service off course), and then ship it back to you.

Hahahaha. Are you paying for the shipping? Bearing in mind the crate needs to be big enough to contain my bike, myself, my wife and my kid - don't worry about the return shipping...:grin2:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
In typical MV fashion, no response from MV Agusta Italy (not even a "we are attending to the issue") and the MV South Africa account threw back an email stating that the email was unread and timed out?!

No response from Fireitup either ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In typical MV fashion, no response from MV Agusta Italy (not even a "we are attending to the issue") and the MV South Africa account threw back an email stating that the email was unread and timed out?!

No response from Fireitup either ...

PTsalas, what address did you send to at MV Agusta in Italy? I'm going to type up an enquiry and ask my boss to translate it into Italian (maybe that gets us some attention, or at least acknowledgement of receipt)...

Adrian, the underwriting manager at Traficc, called me on Friday afternoon with an update - they've found an RMI accredited service shop (I'll get the name from him and post it). They have also sent an email to MV Agusta in Italy, maybe they have better luck... They are also calling different dealerships to see who is wiling to help.

Will update you guys when I hear anything more.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
PTsalas, what address did you send to at MV Agusta in Italy? I'm going to type up an enquiry and ask my boss to translate it into Italian (maybe that gets us some attention, or at least acknowledgement of receipt)...

Adrian, the underwriting manager at Traficc, called me on Friday afternoon with an update - they've found an RMI accredited service shop (I'll get the name from him and post it). They have also sent an email to MV Agusta in Italy, maybe they have better luck... They are also calling different dealerships to see who is wiling to help.

Will update you guys when I hear anything more.
[email protected]

If I emailed them, I used to copy it into google translate and also include the translation beneath the English.

When they respond, they respond in English just fine so stopped that practice.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Recieved feedback from MV in Italy:

Thank you for contacting Mv Agusta.

We recently received the communication by Cayenne that they went bankrupt.
At the moment we are contacting other companies in order to restore the service in South Africa but, as you can imagine, we need time to find out the right company that has the requirements to be able to provide assistance on our models.
As soon as we receive further information we will contact you to provide assistance on your MV Agusta.

Kind regards,

I spoke to Berto from Fireitup, he says they have all the kit and diagnostics to service MV. They aren't an official agent, but they are considering it. He said they can service the MVs , but not anything relating to warranty claims yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi PTsalas, thanks man, that's some good news! Also got some feedback from TRAFICC:

=========================

Hi Mike,

Many thanks! The forum is an interesting read.

I have forwarded the link to our Warranty Claims Manager – he and our Sales Director (a bike enthusiast too) are also trying to locate alternative Service / Repair agents that are MV approved, as well as approved agents for the other affected Brands.

Mike, is there any element of your query that you are still waiting for me to clarify?

Mike, I also cc into the mail Kirk – Kirk is our Warranty, Service & Maintenance Claims Manager so a useful contact for you to keep.
This matter is being dealt with by Management at all levels / in all Departments.

=========================

Hopefully it's not much longer till we have a solution to the warranty situation, and at least we can get servicing done at Fire it Up.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts