MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't look like MV has caught up to world standard Ducati service intervals yet. If I were to commute with the F4 it would be in the shop multiple times a year for major items. Does it really need valve check, plugs, chain tensioner, timing checks, and fuel filter so soon?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
So how many miles would you do in a year ? Never knew Ducati set the world standard, they sure did not 15 yrs ago.
Valve check every 12K does not seem much for a high performance motor ? Same with the other items I thought it's pretty okay for such a new model.
And fuel filter, with the crappy fuel we get sold, well worth changing that one every time.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bunch of checks required at just 3800 miles incl but not limited to plugs, throttle body, idle speed, etc. Some of this requires a bit of dismantling to get to. Looks like old school maintenance schedule. Ducati is double this. Valves on the F4 are stated to be checked at just 7500, again Duc is double this. This is what I am referring to. For those of us who rack up miles say 10-15K a year that is a lot of dismantling or scheduling for service. I am over 10K miles a year. Looks like I'll be riding the Duc much more. I am looking forward to the day when the intervals for valves, fuel system, plugs, suspension to be more along the lines of the 50K intervals of modern high performance cars. Bikes have a very long way to go and I'm sure all of the manufacturers know this.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Donsy, and others who knows these bikes better than I as I am newbie, do general users go with the manual stated intervals or do most spread them apart to the 12K which you have stated? Thanks. I am still looking for a foolproof passionate place for which to bring my bike to get service done. Not to say that I have had any nightmares with the places I have brought my Duc to, but it seems the available dealer services are working for volume, often booked for work. I am not entirely confident if the job can be done right every time and am looking for a reference for fooproof servicing as I am a high miles rider. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Mate, I understand what you're saying, I would add though that I would not keep comparing the Ducati to the MV, very different motor construction right there.
If I gave my opinion on some of those service schedule's, I would be stoned to death on the forum, you might have to wait till someone like Balz comments on your questions. I will copy your questions to the Maintenance section so other MV riders might chip in also.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Well I can tell you what I do....

In km rather than miles and it can be a 1000-2000 more or less just depending on when I get to it.
Air filter (clean and re-oil), oil change and filter about every 8000
Fuel filter every 24000
Valves every 24000, check/replace the plugs at the same time.
Cam chain, tensioner and guides will be done at about 60000 unless there is an issue before.

·
Vendor
5,280 Posts
Donsy and the other guys are spot on,this is a high performance motor,you cut corners and you will pay for it.Stick to what the factory recommends and you can enjoy a reliable and fabulous motorcycle.Just my opinion.:)

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I'm under the impression that the service intervals are there partly to reduce warranty issues and partly as technology (fuel, oils, metallurgy, machining, tolerances etc) have improved dramatically. Having said that, it seems prudent, at least for the first or second to do a major service (as per the old days) as while technologies have improved doesn't necessarily mean that quality has improved as quickly. A friend had a Ducati multistrada and did a major service at 10,000km (from memory this was scheduled for 20,000 km) only to find the valves were cactus.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
But DO NOT forget to check that rear hub and replace the grease, that's probably the one thing the factor don't over service....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts