MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't look like MV has caught up to world standard Ducati service intervals yet. If I were to commute with the F4 it would be in the shop multiple times a year for major items. Does it really need valve check, plugs, chain tensioner, timing checks, and fuel filter so soon?

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
So how many miles would you do in a year ? Never knew Ducati set the world standard, they sure did not 15 yrs ago.
Valve check every 12K does not seem much for a high performance motor ? Same with the other items I thought it's pretty okay for such a new model.
And fuel filter, with the crappy fuel we get sold, well worth changing that one every time.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A bunch of checks required at just 3800 miles incl but not limited to plugs, throttle body, idle speed, etc. Some of this requires a bit of dismantling to get to. Looks like old school maintenance schedule. Ducati is double this. Valves on the F4 are stated to be checked at just 7500, again Duc is double this. This is what I am referring to. For those of us who rack up miles say 10-15K a year that is a lot of dismantling or scheduling for service. I am over 10K miles a year. Looks like I'll be riding the Duc much more. I am looking forward to the day when the intervals for valves, fuel system, plugs, suspension to be more along the lines of the 50K intervals of modern high performance cars. Bikes have a very long way to go and I'm sure all of the manufacturers know this.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Donsy, and others who knows these bikes better than I as I am newbie, do general users go with the manual stated intervals or do most spread them apart to the 12K which you have stated? Thanks. I am still looking for a foolproof passionate place for which to bring my bike to get service done. Not to say that I have had any nightmares with the places I have brought my Duc to, but it seems the available dealer services are working for volume, often booked for work. I am not entirely confident if the job can be done right every time and am looking for a reference for fooproof servicing as I am a high miles rider. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Mate, I understand what you're saying, I would add though that I would not keep comparing the Ducati to the MV, very different motor construction right there.
If I gave my opinion on some of those service schedule's, I would be stoned to death on the forum, you might have to wait till someone like Balz comments on your questions. I will copy your questions to the Maintenance section so other MV riders might chip in also.

·
Super Moderator
22,823 Posts
Fragile, for these bikes...and someone else will correct me if I am way out of line here...the valve schedule is a bit aggressive. Things don't tend to be out of spec at the first or second service. The wear surfaces are pretty hard. Additionally, if your valve are out of tolerance, you will encounter hard starting problems before any mechanical damage can occur as the valves will tend to "hang open" longer and cause poor performance.

The best foolproof mechanic is you. These bikes are easy to work on if you have any mechanical capability.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mate, I understand what you're saying, I would add though that I would not keep comparing the Ducati to the MV, very different motor construction right there.
If I gave my opinion on some of those service schedule's, I would be stoned to death on the forum, you might have to wait till someone like Balz comments on your questions. I will copy your questions to the Maintenance section so other MV riders might chip in also.
________
Cool, Thanks.

·
Administrator
20,734 Posts
Lots of Jap bikes also have maintenance schedules that are crazy....valve inspection at a first service (600 miles -1000km) is a hold back from a time of much poorer materials and quality control, yet there are bikes that call for it....
I have yet to find a valve out of spec on my 2008 MV in over 22K miles. Most of those things you see are "inspection" items and that's all you do...look to make sure they're OK.
Daily rider, commuter?....Buy it, ride it, take care of the usual things like oil, filters and chain and enjoy it.

But if you flog it hard like a race bike every ride you had better check all that stuff....

Anyway, that's my humble opinion.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I don't know, I shower everday even though I don't stink;-)
I am pretty sure I could save a mint on dirty towel cleaning,the water bill and Axe 'sexy mofo' body wash if I just wait until I stink :)
I think the engineers just don't want you to stink
yeah, the price is high, but so is gas:'(

TreeMV

·
Registered
938 Posts
I too was bothered by the 7500mi valve check. The shop wants 8 hours @ $96.00 to check them. That's a lot of money (for me). I was riding every day and racked up almost 5000mi in about 5 months. Once I heard about the cost of maintenance. I parked it and have only put a few hundred mi on in the last 6 months.
I'd like to ride more but was told by the shop that if I didn't follow the schedule my warranty would be void if anything motor related were to happen.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looks like have to learn to do that on our own or fork up that $1000 every 7500 miles. I don't race my bike so guessing it should be good till 15K. But to preserve the warranty, that first and second one has to be done as to preserve the 2 year warranty. I'd pay someone $500 to learn to do it on my own and the balance on tools to get it done with. first $1000 on me and every one after that will be cheap and using hobby time to get done. From the perspective of having the manual as a guideline along with someone who have successfully done it multiple times should serve to yield professional result, no?

·
Administrator
20,734 Posts
I too was bothered by the 7500mi valve check. The shop wants 8 hours @ $96.00 to check them. That's a lot of money (for me). I was riding every day and racked up almost 5000mi in about 5 months. Once I heard about the cost of maintenance. I parked it and have only put a few hundred mi on in the last 6 months.
I'd like to ride more but was told by the shop that if I didn't follow the schedule my warranty would be void if anything motor related were to happen.
8 hours?!?! That's crazy!. Maybe if they have to change some shims...maybe. Likely they will NOT have to change any shims anyway.....

I can check my valves in a couple of hours time in my garage while enjoying a cold beer and taking my time...and have done so, but have not needed to pull the cams to change a shim yet (22k + miles).
Tell the shop they're nuts if they think it is an 8 hour job. They obviously don't know what they are doing. Tell them to find a good mechanic, they certainly don't have one now.

Go ride the bike. Find another work shop.

·
Registered
938 Posts
8 hours?!?! That's crazy!. Maybe if they have to change some shims...maybe. Likely they will NOT have to change any shims anyway.....

I can check my valves in a couple of hours time in my garage while enjoying a cold beer and taking my time...and have done so, but have not needed to pull the cams to change a shim yet (22k + miles).
Tell the shop they're nuts if they think it is an 8 hour job. They obviously don't know what they are doing. Tell them to find a good mechanic, they certainly don't have one now.

Go ride the bike. Find another work shop.
I'm told you have to pull the motor to get to the valves. I looked at it myself and it seems you'd have to remove a good deal of stuff just to get to the plugs much less remove the valve cover.

@Fragile, I have the tools and mechanical ability to do it myself but don't have a garage of my own (ATM) and frankly, the bike is so beautiful I don't want to scratch anything taking it apart every 6 months. At least if the dealer does the work they'll be responsible.

·
Administrator
20,734 Posts
My experience with my MVs is that they are very easy to work on, much easier than any Japanese sport bike, and certainly easier than a Ducati.

Maybe the newer models are different, but I suspect not. You should not need to remove the engine to inspect valve clearances.

·
Registered
938 Posts
My experience with my MVs is that they are very easy to work on, much easier than any Japanese sport bike, and certainly easier than a Ducati.

Maybe the newer models are different, but I suspect not. You should not need to remove the engine to inspect valve clearances.
It looks very tight to me. Next time I'm at the shop, I'll ask for more detail as to time/cost.
Around here, even for a Japanese bike, it's over 300.00 to check valves.
I've always done my own because I'd have the the motor out anyway, for other reasons.
I've never found a shim type valve out of spec, ever, so I'm kinda suspecting that the MV won't really need adjusting anyway.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Have a look at the workshop manuals posted in the Maintenance section. That will show what needs to be removed to get into the top of the engine.

Si
Been trying to get a manual but they're not available yet.
I'll check Donsy's list to see what's close. EDIT: I see 2010 on his list, I'll check it out to see if that's the same as 2013 (or close enough).

·
Registered
14,676 Posts
wtf??????

John and Fragile;

this is nuts, listen to Ed......

to pull the fairing on an F4;
the Dzuses on the belly pan and sides and 2, 6mm screws on the nose...

thats it, now it's a naked bike

unlock the seat;
3 plugs and 2 pins....done

tank;
1 bolt, 1 plug and 2 quick disconnect fuel lines

air box;
2 screws on the key guard, 2 mounting bolts and the breather hose

TBs;
loosen 4 screws and undo the throttle cables

valve cover;
8 bolts....it goes out the back

the F4 cover;
5 bolts

index the crank and lock the crank and you're ready to check the valves and play with the cam chain tensioner

I defy anyone to find a full faired bike that takes the removal of less stuff to work on the engine

John;
get the manuals read them and bring new model one with you, same deal as with Fragile.....you can use my shop/tools.....for free

you pay for parts, clean up your mess and lunch and drinks are on you

and if you want to bring a nice bottle of single malt.......

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Noel, I will pm you when the time nears. Best

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Been trying to get a manual but they're not available yet.
I'll check Donsy's list to see what's close. EDIT: I see 2010 on his list, I'll check it out to see if that's the same as 2013 (or close enough).
I have the latest, just configuring to get it uploaded, should be okay in the next day or two.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts