MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Engine starts, no error shown, no transient service warning shown. Looks like the combined issues are all sorted out.
Haven't tried the IMMOBILIZER thing again, though, but as the bike starts just fine... As the saying goes: "if it ain't broke..."

Now I just have to cope with the frustration of having to wait until the end of the lockdown to give it a try on the road !
Anyways...I still have a few other things to adjust -- mainly cosmetic -- and I guess I still have plenty of time to do so 馃槙

Thanks again for your help, guys.

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Ah, I missed your last message;
The bike stays on both front and rear workshop stands; normally the side stand is up, so I don't risk to hit ankles or shins while moving around the bike :), and I quite rarely play with the kill switch so it is also normally in the Run position -- I will double check that anyways...

By the way, before I experiment a few other things, and as I don't have a VDST toolkit at hand nor any means to get to a dealer's workshop currently due to the lockdown to help me with that:
I am wondering this -- and sorry if that appears to be a dumb question:
I've seen that if there is a "light" fault like the second air solenoid being unplugged, I only get this transient "xxx Service" warning display at the bottom of the dash for no more than 1 second during system check, and it is simply not displayed anymore at the next 'power on' if the fault has been fixed. Which is fine.
What if I get a more serious "** FAULT **" display at the top of the dash because I've (inadvertently :) unplugged something else? Will that also simply not be displayed anymore if I fix the fault, or I would I require to use a VDST toolkit to clear the fault warning display, as that happens with cars, or with Ducatis (from what I read here and there) ?

Super Moderator
"XXX Service" is probably the mileage before the next service interval and should count down as you ride.....

Administrator
Current model OBD regulations (cars and bikes) mandate that fault codes generated be stored and displayed for 3 warm up / cold down cycles before they clear after the fault is corrected.
They are stored in the ECU until cleared by diagnostic software, but do not display after the 3 cycles.
At least this is what I was taught when we were training on the new emissions specifications.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
@silentservice703 : no, it appears it is not related: When I had the issue (the message displayed -- here exactly "443 Service"), the first thing I suspected was that, as I was close to that figure. So I reset the counter (thus to 6000). But the same message (with 443) displayed again at the following power-up. All cleared when I re-plugged the second air solenoid to the wiring loom.

@esq'z me: ah OK, thanks for the info. Good to know. 馃憣

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
Hi all,

as a final note on this subject: using an Healtech Electronics "PAIR System Eliminator" (PAIR being the Suzuki/(other japanese brands?) naming equivalent of MV's "Second Air") allows to happily get rid of the solenoid without getting the "443 Service" transient message at startup.
Exact model to use is PSE-01.
Many thanks by the way to Healtech's Support who remotely gave the right advice about the device to use, even though the Brutale is not (yet) listed as applicable.

Here it is attached, as seamlessly as possible, here wrapped in a piece of bicycle tyre tube used as a rubber cushion, and installed exactly where the Second Air valve bracket normally seats, using a regular MV rubber clamp; looks (almost) genuine! ;-)

Super Moderator
Thanks for getting back to us with the fix.

Administrator
By the way... in case you had read false information from people who really have no clue..... the "Second Air System", or "Pulsed Air Intake Reed" system simply allows clean air into the exhaust stream at the header pipe to help finish burning any hydrocarbons not consumed in the combustion process.
It has absolutely NO affect on power, but can lead to erroneous AF readings on the dyno if not blocked off during tuning.
Removing it has only the benefit of reducing weight or complexity during services.
Removing it can also cause damage and overheating in the catalytic converter if your bike still has one installed.

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
Yes, I'm aware of that :), especially that that does not any extra power.
Indeed I wanted to get rid of the piping clutter above the cam cover, and make servicing in this area much, much easier, especially here on the B4 -- and have a nice view on the nice red cam cover :)
(Did the same on my Suzuki for the same reason (remove the pipe clutter, not the red cam cover :) )

The Brutale was already 'de-cat'-ed when I bought it (there is a full Arrow exhaust system on), and the Lambda probe is disabled in the ECU (as well as the exhaust valve actuator -- there is no exhaust valve in the link pipe anyway).
And by the way, Healtech also warns about the fact the the lambda probre should have been 'eliminated' prior installing the PSE-01 -- without giving the exact reason -- but at least that shows that we are all on the same page....

21 - 30 of 30 Posts