MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
After quite some time off, firstly due to a crash, then a looong time at the repair shop, then again quite some time in my own garage to finish to rebuild what has not been done at the shop, I've finally managed to get up to the reinstall of the battery and give the bike a start; And... it won't start and get a service code 443.
Could not find any info about that code in the service manual(s). Can someone help with that?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
22,051 Posts
Which Honda is that? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The surprising thing is that this code is displayed on the dashboard for a second or two when swtiching the bike on, then all look normal: no warning light no "FAULT" displayed. Only the start button won't cooperate -- Yes I've checked the side stand, clutch lever, neutral...

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Do you have access to a diagnostic cable and program? 2011 means it will be a 5sm Marelli ecu, which means you will need either the Technoresearch or Texa setup.
This will show what part of the start process is stalled.
What areas,of the bike were damaged and fixed? What components were replaced?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I crashed, the phonic wheel cover had bust in pieces and the bottom part of the crankcase was damaged, next to the cover. Long story short, the engine had been taken off, and also the water radiator has been changed as slightly bent, as well as the headlight, and a other few parts.
When I got the bike back from the repair shop -- the engine was then starting and running well -- I had a few things to take care of by myself, such as the fairings, windshield, etc... and, surprisingly I had to change the 'radiator charging' hose (the large one that goes down from the expansion tank), as it was a bit too short because during the crash it was slightly cut right above the bottom clamp and bleeding, and the repair shop simply shortened it instead of replacing the hose itself.
While I was there, I removed the secondary air piping and valve (which I believe is passive), and also replaced the exhaust valve servo with a healtech 'emulator' (the valve itself and cables had been removed a long time ago anyways).
I have tried with plugging back the exhaust servo, same symptoms.

Getting a diagnostic toolkit for 5SM Marelli ECU nowadays apparently proves to be difficult --a kind of Holy Grail quest :) It seems the Technoresearch is no more available, the regular VDST kit is nowhere to be found... and I don't know about Texa.

·
Super Moderator
22,051 Posts
You would need the VDST Techno Research kit for your particular ECU. Rightnow, I am not sure if I can even use my VDST and determine DTCs (Digital Trouble Codes).
Ihave not been able to find a reference to the DTC 443

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks, Chuck. Already sent a probe to an MVAgusta dealer as well, but in this difficult times, I guess I won't get any info back before mid next week at least..

·
Super Moderator
22,051 Posts
I've got an email out to Technoresearch

·
Administrator
19,512 Posts
The second air solenoid is not passive. The ECU opens it when appropriate. It is a valve between the air cleaner case (clean air) and the reed valves in the valve cover which then feed into the exhaust ports.
The ECU may be looking for that solenoid and throwing a fault code because it is missing.

Maybe..... Since it was running fine before you removed the second air system and now it is not....try plugging it back in. No need to hook up the plumbing. Worth a try anyway.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well done! Indeed the "443 Service" error appearing transiently at the bottom of the display during system start check-up, and then not being shown as a "** FAULT **" was due to to the Second Air solenoid not being plugged in... Lesson learned...

However, system checkup is now done without error or message reported, and OK displayed (as before), but the start button still doesn't want to cooperate: fuse 5 checked, clutch switch checked, side stand switch checked. The whole bike lights up but nothing moves. The starter motor relay doesn't click.

Curious thing, I wanted to check the immobilizer, as it is specified the service manual it can fail after a breakdown. Tried to get into the menu to enter the card's code but cannot manage to actually enter the code: Getting up to "INSERT CODE" prompt just fine, but then pressing SET doesn't do nothing or gets back to "IMMOBILIZER" menu entry. No "1 DIGIT" displayed, nothing. Is there some special trick to enter the code, incantations to do, or a chicken to sacrifice or something?

·
Super Moderator
22,051 Posts
The quick question...what is the position of your RUN/START/STOP switch?

·
Super Moderator
22,051 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,051 Posts
The phrase "more than four seconds" is a bit subjective. Try holding longer as 10 seconds IS longer than four seconds. It can be finicky.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The RUN/OFF switch is in RUN position.

About the IMMOBILZER I did pressed 4+ seconds and I do get the INSERT CODE message.Howerver I am not able to go further, I don't get the "1 DIGIT" message displayed and cannot cycle through digit values with the OK button. Then it returns to IMMOBILZER message if I press SET again (shortly).

·
Administrator
19,512 Posts
Could it be your starter button is not functioning? Trace the wiring to the connector and use an ohmmeter to test....no press = open/infinite resistance, pressed = 0 (or near) resistance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Again, you are right: for some reason, the only one thing I hadn't tested was the starter button itself; Don't ask me why. Maybe the service code warning triggered by the solenoid not being connected focused me away from the most obvious thing to check first. What a shame. :-/
Quick check at the connector at the back of the dashboard showed no contact closure from the starter button, and sometimes failing contact at the RUN/STOP one. Dismantled the button enclosure and found the starter button contacts severely oxydized and the RUN/STOP sliding switch not that clean. Probably from the time of the previous owner, who was a great fan of Kärcher high pressure cleaners :)

Haven't yet put back everything on and tested, but I'm quite confident that all should be fine now.

Thanks to you and all for your great help and patience.

·
Super Moderator
22,051 Posts
Sweet! Let us know the outcome! Sometimes it’s the simple things.

·
Administrator
19,512 Posts
It's always something simple....just not always simple to find !!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts