MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,
Due to some work and personal reasons I had to leave my poor b4 1078rr in the garage for 2+ years on the kickstand. If all goes according to plan I'll be able to ride again in about 2months.

Other than replacing tyres, oil, filters, brakes/brake fluid (battery has been plugged, so seems okay-ish) what else should I check and/or replace to bring her back to life (and make her safe and trouble-free to ride again)?
Any feedback is appreciated!!
What do you guys think?

·
Administrator
20,425 Posts
Well..... unless the tires were old to begin with you probably don't need to replace them. Look at the date code. Good tread and less than 5 years old? They should be fine (unless it was stored next to an ozone generating device).

Drain the fuel tank (or siphon it out as empty as possible) and refill with fresh.

Oil, yes....IF you hadn't changed it before storing (and it was stored in a dry climate controlled area)... oil filter? Only if it was in need of replacement when you stored it.

Brake fluid, Yes.

Maybe coolant if it is original (more than a few years old)

Other than that...a good cleaning should reveal any items that may have begun corroding or need attention. Lube the chain and go for a ride. Bikes sit on dealer showroom floors for several years in some cases. They don't require much attention to prep for sale. Your bike shouldn't need much either as long as it was stored properly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well..... unless the tires were old to begin with you probably don't need to replace them. Look at the date code. Good tread and less than 5 years old? They should be fine (unless it was stored next to an ozone generating device).

Drain the fuel tank (or siphon it out as empty as possible) and refill with fresh.

Oil, yes....IF you hadn't changed it before storing (and it was stored in a dry climate controlled area)... oil filter? Only if it was in need of replacement when you stored it.

Brake fluid, Yes.

Maybe coolant if it is original (more than a few years old)

Other than that...a good cleaning should reveal any items that may have begun corroding or need attention. Lube the chain and go for a ride. Bikes sit on dealer showroom floors for several years in some cases. They don't require much attention to prep for sale. Your bike shouldn't need much either as long as it was stored properly.
Thank you very much for the reply!!! Appreciate the input!! ?

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
I've always checked the airbox for a rare mouse home. Remove tank after the complete drain and pop the airbox housing. Inspect your air filter while in there.

Second thought -- the screen should prevent such mouse entry... never mind. Just think of past bikes which had visitors.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I just did much the same with my 1078RR. General service points did the trick. I will say that any time I've pulled it out of storage a new battery was in order; terribly phantom draw on that model. Other than that, she rides like a dream again!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've always checked the airbox for a rare mouse home. Remove tank after the complete drain and pop the airbox housing. Inspect your air filter while in there.

Second thought -- the screen should prevent such mouse entry... never mind. Just think of past bikes which had visitors.
I just did much the same with my 1078RR. General service points did the trick. I will say that any time I've pulled it out of storage a new battery was in order; terribly phantom draw on that model. Other than that, she rides like a dream again!
Appreciate the feedback!! Thank you very much ?

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Check tyre pressure, lube the chain, charge battery, fuel additive and GO!

Reactions: Bexar80

·
Registered
86 Posts
On a side note: The service manual for one of my sports-cars recommends pulling the plugs and spraying penetrating oil or similar into the cylinders when storing the car for extended periods. I assume to prevent a sticking ring, which I did go through with my Brutale.

My Brutale used oil nearly every ride and eventually I had to spray penetrating oil into the cylinders and add an oil additive into the crank case.

However, I bought the Brutale with only 1800 miles in 2015; so it likely sat a lot in those 10 yrs and the stuck ring was probably not from the 2yrs I had it setting.

I would also recommend filling the gas tank (with fuel stabilizers) as that will minimize moisture buildup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts