MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 Senna boys: anyone have any thoughts on the seat fabric and how damn long it takes to dry???? its been raining alot on the east coast lately and the seat retains water for a full day after getting wet! After washing the bike, you cant ride!
Anyone found a solution? Scotchgard?? Seat condoms???

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Reo---i dont know about the rain avoidance, but im glad to hear Scotchgard works! (Sorry about omitting tambo owners)
Reopropf said:
1. Scotchgard seat 2. Avoid rain 3. wash carefully avoiding seat 4. it will dry overnite or after a few hours in sun 5. rescotchgard

·
Registered
878 Posts
I put kitchen plastic wraps (for food items) over the seat, and seal the edges to the edges of the seat plastic when washing the bike. As long as you don't hose the seat, the wrap stays put and the seat dry...

You can actually buy Alcantara cleaning agents, or follow the instruction on their web site;
www.alcantara.com
Go to: Oceania, then English, then map, then maintenance, and general washing.
Make sure you scroll down the instruction list...

If you select some other parts of the world, they may not have the maintenance...

·
Registered
367 Posts
minime said:
Ps : don't ride in the rain.
Not so bad riding in the rain, besides how do you get wet wheather riding experience.? :)

I used to comute my bike to Sydney, rain, hail & shine, I'm glad for the experience.
These days since I don't comute, I don't ride in the rain often, but I did get caught this week bringing my bike back from its service, it started off sunny. Also got caught picking my bike up (started sunny then too) :(

Jonathan.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Certainly riding in the rain is a skill that racers have, and they effectively cross far beyond a fear barrier that I will NEVER overcome. I am sure rain "courage" accelerates the skill set for cornering especially when done on a track.

I'd love to hear from our experienced racers on this subject.

Peter

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Not an experienced racer but many years ago I had only my bike for trasport (5 years of bike only) and was dating a girl (which lasted two winters) who resided about 30kms into the twisties and so rain, hail or shine I travelled up there at least 3-5 times a week. Despite having only a bike for transport I avoided the hills when it was raining but now had no choice if I wanted to :love: you very quickly learn the limits and while I never went down I had my share of moments and I'm not sure if it really did anything for my dry riding...it ceratinly didn't feel that way (maybe as I was always on it) but it was a great experience being forced to ride in those conditions. Maybe apart for the racers some of the guys who live in the wetter climates could chime in here...John :stickpoke :laughing: :conveyer:

·
Registered
878 Posts
It rains a lot here in Seattle. Doing track days here, are very often in the rain. Track days in the rain (by those who are found of it... not me, although I have done it) is considered good for practicing your smoothness. Riding in the rain on the track forces you to be smooth on the throttle...

I used to commute on the bike in the rain...not sure if commuting in the rain thought me anything other than being afraid...very afraid of the cars who get back at bikes in the rain because they know the bikers won't take any chances...and they'll cut you off constantly as you try to leave a safe distance in front of you to the next car. They see that as an open invitation... :hitit: :flamethro

·
Registered
367 Posts
kamranmarashi said:
I used to commute on the bike in the rain...not sure if commuting in the rain thought me anything other than being afraid...very afraid of the cars who get back at bikes in the rain because they know the bikers won't take any chances...and they'll cut you off constantly as you try to leave a safe distance in front of you to the next car. They see that as an open invitation... :hitit: :flamethro
Doesn't sound like a friendly place to ride :).

In a few of years of commuting only had one incident of a crazy driver. Think he wanted to show me he could get through traffic as well as I could on the bike.
He was leaving about a foot behind me, and you know how hopeless a car can brake compared to the bikes (in dry). I got away quiclky.

But you have to have your wits about you when riding in traffic.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
What arew the seats made out of. Is it seude, leather? Can't you guy's treat it with a weather proof spray or some kind of water repellent? I mean, I don't think I could tolerate having to plastic rap my seat everytime I want to clean my bike. There's got to be a better way. right?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Would you consider a water resistant bike cover when in rain?
Actually I have found out that there are full leather or vynil seats available from MV. I am tempted to switch my seat to full leather and keep my alcantara for "show off" ocations.

Just an idea..

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JC Exec said:
Would you consider a water resistant bike cover when in rain?
Actually I have found out that there are full leather or vynil seats available from MV. I am tempted to switch my seat to full leather and keep my alcantara for "show off" ocations.

Just an idea..
not a bad idea...i hadnt looked at changing the seat, but it might be an option if its easily done.
You still have the logo'd backrest which would remain tho....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts