MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the story of me and my Senna and how my summer was pretty much ruined, and why these last few days of nice weather are going to be bliss...

Back in July I was whipping down the highway when there was a loud *BANG* followed by some very undesirable changes to the handling characteristics of my bike. That is to say, I was suddenly ALL over the road with my rear tire acting like butter on a hot skillet. I was travelling way too fast to have an opportunity to fully comprehend what was happening, but to make a long story short: The rod on cylinder 4 blew through the side of the engine casing making a hole the size of a golfball. Oil lurched out of the engine quite rapidly and the fairing did a splendid job of acting like a gutter and carrying it all directly to the rear wheel, coating it and making my tire as slippery as snot on a doorknob. By the grace of (insert your preferred deity here) I managed to not dump and get the bike to the side of the road safely. Aside from the engine itself the only other casualty was my soiled shorts. :wtf: :jsm: :ahhh:

So I called a few dealers the next day like "WTF?!" and they agreed that this should NOT happen (I had 3500 miles on the bike) and Cagiva said they would cover a new motor for my baby. However, the factory doesn't have a part number for an assembled motor, meaning they would basically just send a box of parts. This put me in a bit of a bind, considering that it was peak season for a bike shop. Trying to find a dealer who wanted to cope with all of that labor during their busy season wasn't easy. I had originally bought my Senna from FBF and they were able to take the bike in early August to start the work.

I met Eraldo Ferracci and the head of the service dept (at the time) and talked about some options. As they were going to have to pull everything apart and put everything back together by hand this was an ideal time for some performance upgrades, since the bulk of the labor charges would be "free" (via warranty). So basically I had the following done:
  • MV Corse Titanium RG3's and midpipe. I left the stainless Arrow headers on there per their recommendation. (Eraldo felt that the titanium headers might be too thin/brittle for everyday use, and there is no performance difference other than a bit of weight loss).
  • 1080 Big Bore kit
  • Race ECU
  • Modified Water Pump (they increased the speed of the pump to help with cooling). Prior to my engine blowing apart, I was routinely hitting 250 F sitting at traffic lights - that was even after I put on a set of Muzzy fans and Engine Ice.
  • Custom/Remapped PCIII
They somewhat broke it in on the dyno and faxed me the first graph (for some reason the X axis has MPH instead of RPM), and the results look amazing! Word has it that the FBF Dyno is "optimistic" (some might say that is being kind), but Eraldo says that once the engine breaks in a bit there should be another 5-10hp tacked on. Either way, it looks pretty smooth (no more surge at 5k) and the torque stats are mind boggling (v-twin? bah!)

I pick up my baby (finally!) on Saturday. :love: Needless to say, I am excited! w00t!

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Great write-up! I am very curious to know what your temperature will be with the new water pump upgrade. Please keep us updated on what your impressions are of the the 1080 upgrade, too.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Wow, you where lucky...

Nice warranty upgrade, let us know how she runs with the bigger displacement.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Whoa that is freaking awesome! Holy crap am I reading that right?! 184 at the rear wheel? I second the coolant pump upgrade as well! Let us know how that works for ya.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Now that I think about it the excess heat generated now with the 1080cc kit it would warrant an upgrade to the coolant pump.

I would like to know where you ordered your parts from. Like the Race ECU and your exhaust pipes. I am in the market for grabbing the ECU and some pipes for my Senna as well though no 1080 cc kit. Bike is already too powerful for me....hehe

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Wow! Even when the dyno is kind! How much is the torque in NM?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Enjoy your “up rated” bike.
You are lucky. I know 2 cases, here in Greece, where by Cagiva have sent, in a box, a complete new motor (one with a fault like yours and one with the chain tensioner fault).

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
I second that, where do you purchase and what T F is this water pump upgrade you talk about??

Please enlighten me further!!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts