MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I dropped my bike and I can order a new panel for $700. It would be straight plug and play. No hassles with a painter, waiting with my bike in pieces, etc. But that would leave me with two right side panels.

I'm just debating finding a painter or ordering the panel and selling the old one. So I'm wondering. How much would a slightly scratched panel be worth? $300?

PS: I didn't post this on the for sale section because it's not for sale. I'm just wondering what it's worth.

PS: Hmm. Maybe I can get the R fairings? :rolleyes:

A

·
0 Posts
definately get a new pannel
two reasons
1st the blend or match might not be perfect, then what do u do, plus the cost of decals, and then the paint of the clear on top, they may not do the clear on top perfectly matched to the level of the other fairing, (it might be raised more when you run your finger over it) they ,may get air bubbles on top of the decals as well

2) take it from me, cos i went through this, and end up buying a new pannel, and here in australia, it cost me $1500 for a new one
ther painter would of cost me $300 for painting. $140ish for decals, and he needed the bike too

get a new pannel, sell the other one or better yet keep it as a spare (ive seen several on ebay for a $500-700AUD)

its a no brainer if u ask me

A

·
0 Posts
the other option is just to get it painted silver, and clear coated
put the decals onyourself after you buythen and after he has done it
dont get the painter to clear it on top of the decals
the result is not perfect becasue of no clear on the decals
buy hey its cheaper

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hb88xx said:
Or buy a used non scratched one from ebay. Between $300-700.
Buying new from MV means two for $700 (cheap!) or getting two for $1400 (normal price!)?
It's $700 each side.

Also, the scratches are that big and aren't near the decals. Would they need to paint the entire panel?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
It's $700 each side.

Also, the scratches are that big and aren't near the decals. Would they need to paint the entire panel?
A good painter can just paint part of the panel or keep the decals at least... definitively less than 300$ for this job...

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
machine748s said:
A good painter can just paint part of the panel or keep the decals at least... definitively less than 300$ for this job...
Everybody I know that has had a panel repaired has been dissapointed, they end up doing it again and again, then it ends up like a big porridge and bubbles with the heat, the clips sink in etc.

My opinion buy new, sell the old one, why not sell all the lowers and go MVSP painted ORO carbon? now, that is an improvement, no more wavy panels around the zeus clips, also not flappy when they're hot :naughty:

With R panels you would lose the MV Agusta fairing decal

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
cyclefinish.net

does excellent work.
fix it...then you wont feel so bad when you only shell out a fraction of what a new panel costs.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I ended up just buying a new panel since Pro Italia had on in stock. It was $720. I just wanted to end this ordeal today.

So, if anyone's interested in a slightly scratched right panel, I'd sell it for $350. If you're in the L.A. area, the panel will be at Pro Italia until I can pick it up on Saturday.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I'm thinking of having it repainted. But that would mean I'd drop the left side next time. :)

Lewd Dog, that's for the link. I was going to contact Cyclefinish today since Pro Italia originally said they'd have to special order the part. But when they brought it out, I really just wanted to end this whole thing today. Funny thing is - objectively, the scratches weren 't bad. But since I dropped the bike, it's the first thing I'd look at - and they were tauting me. :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Allan, I had the leading edge of my lower panel painted since it got all chiped from rocks/debris.

We couldn't get the correct color match using the PPG silver paint code that MV gives, however, Mercedes Brilliant Silver paint color matched perfectly and the paint / clear coat job is as good as factory. I can't tell the difference.

We found the color match becuase there was a Brilliant Silver Mercedes in the shop for repair and we held the lower up to it in the sun. Same color !

I then wrapped the parts of the lower with 3M clear vinyl to protect from further chips.

Any good painter can feather in paint where the scratces are, then clear and color sand.

Might as well have a good spare !

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
blavenia said:
Allan: I think you did the right thing getting the new panel.
Thank you. My budget doesn't think so but if I can sell the old panel eventually, it should set things right. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts