MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed in previous threads but I haven't been able to find any reference to it. I am taking the rear hub apart to check the bearings on my 2000 750 F4 as it has done 12000 km I have only had the bike for just under 12 months and have done 7000km. I dont know too much about the previous servicing. My problem is the axle will not come out of the hub and I can remember reading some posts about the axle having to be cut out, but as I said I can't find them. Has anyone got any procedures that may work without having to be that drastic?

Cheers Scott

·
Administrator
20,056 Posts
Large block of wood and a heavy hammer....Donsy will fix you up, I'm sure.

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
?

try to get some penetrant between the axle shoulder and the ball bearing on the right

side of the hub......the best is Acetone and ATF mixed 50/50

they can be really rusted in .......loosen the right pinch bolt

some come right out with a rubber hammer........ others ......

I machined an aluminum piece to fit inside the axle so I have something to beat on

I'm amazed I haven't ripped the end off a hub........with a 4 pound single jack.......

no love taps either

:banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. Got the axle out tonight with the help of heat and large hammer. Although the bearings felt OK with the wheel on when I got the ball bearing out the inner seal was adrift and there where only 2/3 of the balls left in the race. I don't know where they have gone as there was nothing inside the hub. Just have to get new bearing now

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Send theknurl a message :)

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. Got the axle out tonight with the help of heat and large hammer. Although the bearings felt OK with the wheel on when I got the ball bearing out the inner seal was adrift and there where only 2/3 of the balls left in the race. I don't know where they have gone as there was nothing inside the hub. Just have to get new bearing now
I'll speak to you in the morning mate, no problem.

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
?

Scott;
PayPal me $48 you pay the fees

include your address

the Post to WA is Sloooow figure 9-11 days only place slower is the Channel Islands

~30 days

:popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Thanks for the offer Knurl but Donsy has got one I can have and he is a little bit closer
Ring me tomorrow, I can have a bearing in Perth for you by Sunday if you're not coming down this weekend Scott.:)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Noel, have you ever done a comparison with the ATF/Acetone mix and other penetrating oils??

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
?

a study was posted on the UK Forum by a guy that worked on a North Sea oil platform

the 50/50 acetone/ATF mixture was miles better than anything else.......

next best was Kroil and it's way better than the rest

I've sworn by Kroil for 30 years...... acetone/ATF is better

:popcorn:

·
Registered
666 Posts
first I'm hearing about it. found one comparison with liquid wrench and it beat it. interesting to know it's that good. will definitely come in useful with the marine environment I'v been dealing with. nothing kills metal like salt air.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts