MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

This past weekend I changed the oil and filter on my 2010 F4 and this got me to thinking a bit. On my Ducati 749, in addition to the usual filter cartridge, there is also a secondary filter which is a tube made of plastic mesh and is taken out and cleaned every two oil changes. Essentially, this mesh catches the “big chunks” and the paper filter is designed to trap the smaller particles floating around.

Does the 2010 F4 have a similar primary/secondary filter setup similar to the Ducati or just the paper filter cartridge?

Thanks!

The Tom

·
Registered
601 Posts
Guys,

This past weekend I changed the oil and filter on my 2010 F4 and this got me to thinking a bit. On my Ducati 749, in addition to the usual filter cartridge, there is also a secondary filter which is a tube made of plastic mesh and is taken out and cleaned every two oil changes. Essentially, this mesh catches the “big chunks” and the paper filter is designed to trap the smaller particles floating around.

Does the 2010 F4 have a similar primary/secondary filter setup similar to the Ducati or just the paper filter cartridge?

Thanks!

The Tom
There is a mesh screen in the Sump, shop manual says to inspect it for cracks or damage, and clean with compressed air, but it's not listed as
Required Mantainence in the Service Manual. (I hope my first response dosn't come tru now, for some reason it didn't originally)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Curious - was it hard to get to the filter and replace it? I'll most likely attempt to tackle this myself next time.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
it's easy to get at the oil filter....4 bolts and you are done. Just don't overtorque them when tightening. Still would have prefered a screw in type filter....why didn't they do that?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I appreciate the response regarding the mesh screen...next time I change the oil I will be looking for it.

For the 2010 F4 make sure when you get the correct MV filter that a rubber o-ring also comes with the filter. This shaped o-ring is about 2" in diameter and used to replace the old o-ring which runs in a groove around the top of the alloy oil cover and is used to seal the cover to the engine. As mentioned....torque the bolts down evenly and not too tight.

For whatever reason, MV did not use a spin-on filter with the 2010 F4 and for an engine that produces 186hp this paper filter does not appear to have as much surface area as I would expect.

Still....wotta incredible bike!

The Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts