MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a f4 and would like to know in how to lower the bike just a bit 1/2 in.
I have heard that there is a lowering setting but I am not familiar with the bike and have no manual or any innstruction in how to do it.
Does anyone know how it is done and if possible can "I" lower it?

Thank's

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I just got a f4 and would like to know in how to lower the bike just a bit 1/2 in.
I have heard that there is a lowering setting but I am not familiar with the bike and have no manual or any innstruction in how to do it.
Does anyone know how it is done and if possible can "I" lower it?

Thank's
Here's a link to the manual. If you lower the rear the the height adjuster rod, you'll need to make adjust the front of the bike as well.

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1781&highlight=manual&page=11

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your great information.
I have another question, Do I need to lower the front even though I am about 150lb with all the gear on? I am not going to a track or even riding it at high rate of speed.
Thank's

·
Registered
351 Posts
I Believe So, There's A Thread Here That Says You Can Lower It By 8mm In Front And Rear. Dealership Did It For Me, Even Calibrate It Base On My Weight. Good Luck

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
I Believe So, There's A Thread Here That Says You Can Lower It By 8mm In Front And Rear. Dealership Did It For Me, Even Calibrate It Base On My Weight. Good Luck
Thats absolutly correct Dave :yo:

8mm is as far as the F4 will go down owing to the length of the rear ride height adjuster, but you need it done by someone who has the correct tools and the knowledge and understanding of what they are doing.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Thanks for your great information.
I have another question, Do I need to lower the front even though I am about 150lb with all the gear on? I am not going to a track or even riding it at high rate of speed.
Thank's
Yes, you should. If you lower the rear and keep the front, it may have a cruiser type feel to it -even at low speed turns. I'm no suspension expert but you'd have to:

a) lower the rear using the rod adjuster;
b) lower the front proportionately by adjusting the triple clamp; then
c) adjust front and rear preload to get the right sag for the new ride height.

Alternatively, have you considered getting boots with thicker soles?

http://www.newenough.com/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/sidi_canyon_gore_tex_motorcycle_boots.html

·
Registered
351 Posts
i'm not tall myself that's why i had them lower my bike, the boot's a total help. i'm using alpine star for short rides:moped::)

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Yes, you should. If you lower the rear and keep the front, it may have a cruiser type feel to it -even at low speed turns. I'm no suspension expert but you'd have to:

a) lower the rear using the rod adjuster;
b) lower the front proportionately by adjusting the triple clamp; then
c) adjust front and rear preload to get the right sag for the new ride height.

Alternatively, have you considered getting boots with thicker soles?

http://www.newenough.com/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/sidi_canyon_gore_tex_motorcycle_boots.html
On a sports bike the rear sag is recommended to be 10-12mm acording to some company called Ohlins. :nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Same here. I will be lowering my Senna and hopefully the Tambo but I'm still not even sure if I'm going to ride the Tambo or put it in my office.

Here is where I am confused though. I'm short but my GSX-R 600 fits me perfectly on the factory setting. From what I am reading it has a seat height of 32in according to the specs the Senna and Tambo seat height is lower? I guess I will see when they get here (Monday or Tuesday is the ETA!)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
But how do you know your GSXR was at factory setting? For example, when I demo a 1098 a few years ago, the demo model's height and feel were different from the 1098 I ended up buying. Once of those bikes wasn't at factory specs.

I think of motorcycles like a suit, while you don't have to have it custom made, it should be tailor to fit you. Before my F4S, I never touched the suspension and in my ignorance felt some bikes (specifically a 2005 999) just didn't handle well. Had I set up the suspension properly, I probably would have never gotten rid of it. In the case of the 999, I remember asking the dealer to lower the seat height but I don't think they compensated the front. So, my 999 always felt like a Penny-farthing bicycle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've just lowered mine at the back without touching the front. It will slow the steering slightly - and has the added benefit of making the bike more stable over bad road surfaces. I'm not looking for the last tenth of a second in lap times, but a bike I'm comfortable with.

The best thing about having an adjustable bike, is you can make it work how you want, rather than having to adapt your riding to fit the bike.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
I've seen this cool operation they do on dwarves and midgets- you know, little people.

Anyway they put this mess of machinery on your legs and actually stretch them a tweak at a time. Get any length you want. Arms too if you have troubles with the bars.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Yes Lee you are indeed correct!!

I too have seen the result of this very operation you describe here in the UK. It is a wonderful thing to behold, but as you can see there is always the obsessive fringe that just have to take it too far!!

I have been lead to believe these individuals featured in the pic below have OPD (Obsessive Personality Disorder) "Which incidentally is also available on prescription from your local drug store"

Anyhow they have been through the afore said mentioned surgical procedures you describe and are now 8' 6" tall :jsm:​

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts