MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm considering buying an F4, but there is one thing I would like to get everyones opinion on. I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam, is the F4 going to be too tall for me? I know we don't need to touch the ground when we're riding, but mostly for when I'm stopped and have to balance. Here in Washington state, we get a lot of traffic on the freeways, so I end up having to stop often, I don't want to lose my balance and scratch such a beautiful bike. :eek: Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Me 2!

I have a 2001 F4 750 and theres no problem with reaching the floor iam approx 5'5" but i have longer legs than my upper body so i guess that is why i can reach the floor :D my friend is 5'8" and he reaches the floor just the same way i do thats because his torso is longer than his legs! so depends on how proportionate your body is! ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rear ride height adjustment

benzo_76 - Similar to the Ducati and Aprilia, the MV has a adjuster: loosening 2 small pinch bolts will allow the main adjuster to be turned in either direction with a single wrench and shouldn't/won't affect preload settings.(separate adjustment)
:)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Seat height Adjustment

I have and 03 F4S Evo3. The specs I read in bikez.com say the seat height is 31.1", when adjusted at its lowest setting. Does anyone know what that means? I am 5'-8" and would love to lower the seat, without compromising ride, suspension and safety. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The F4 measures 830mm seat height, by comparrison the R1 is 800mm, the GSX R1000 is 835mm and ZX 10R is 825mm, so its sort of at the upper end, but this as mentioned can be lowered, but its not by much.
I have a riding buddy about the same height as you, and its just a compromise he makes to ride the MV, being a bit shorter he is more aware of when stopping not putting both feet down, but rather tonly the right leg and using a bit of lean, he is quite comfortable in reaching the ground.

Don't forget that lowering the ride height 'lifts' the bar height, its still stays at 845mm, but your bachside will be lower by comparrison, so the angles change.

Go for it I say, riding the MV will more than make up for what really is not a big problem!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Tambernie said:
benzo_76 - Similar to the Ducati and Aprilia, the MV has a adjuster: loosening 2 small pinch bolts will allow the main adjuster to be turned in either direction with a single wrench and shouldn't/won't affect preload settings.(separate adjustment)
:)
Tambernie,
Can you please expand on your solution? I'd be interested in knowing how much the seat can be lowered. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I'm 5'7" Benzo and never had any problems on my F4. :) Go out and get one!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Problem with seat height / where to adjust?

Hi everyone... I just received my F4-1000 and to be honest I do have a ridiculous problem with seat height (or rather with my less than perfect body form).
I'm 170 cm with 76 cm legs on the inside. I can reach the floor only with my tiptoes - so when stopping on the way I have to lean significantly to one side and balance the bike on one leg - which you can get used to but have to be very carefull with the road surface where I stop. I'm really strugling with the seat height at stopping... it's not a serious issue at temporary stops at red lights in traffic but (...hope you have a good laugh) I'm nearly unable to engage the bike stand at full stop. If I balance the bike securely on my right foot - I'm missing few centimeters on the left side to push the stand through the resistance point - so it jumps back always. I had no problem with my previous bike as the stand had an additional higher point to grab with my boots. But this is not the case with the MV. So it's very annoying - or I stand unsecurely and possibly reach the stand / or I stand flat on the road with one leg and wait until I drop dead as I won't reach the end of the stand.

When I'm riding it is all perfect and wonderful - but I have never tried to put the bike on the stand with the dealer....

So every centimetre counts for me.
Could someone explain really precisely how exactly the seat height can be adjusted?? (maybe some pics as well?)
And what is the factory height setting ? and compared to that, the seat can be lowered or the factory setting is the lowest point?

(I have read the previous postings but did not catch really the method to lower the seat. Sorry for my bad English - I live in Hungary - so please write it slowly for me :))) I will keep the MV in any case as it was my dream for years - but would like to minimise the compromises I have to make.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Welcome to mvagusta.net. As usual, i'm here to throw the stick around :stickpoke to make sure you submit your MV to the registry!

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
As far as lowering the seat, I'll let others explain, as I have not done it myself, despite being very short.
However, I have the same problem with the sidestand, and though I got used to it (sometimes it still takes me a couple tries), I had thought of installing a clamp at a higher point on the stand, that would allow me to put the stand down using my toe. I have seen this done on other MV's, and I'll try to find a photo, but it basically just gives you what every Japanese bike already has--a logical plase to push on the stand, that isn't blocked by the footpeg.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Welcome klingon to the forum, see attached photo.

With your bike up on the rear stand, loosen the two locking bolts.
Then just simply turn the centre nut left of right depending if you wish to raise or lower the seat height.
Once happy with the new adjustment, retighten both locking bolts again.
Some loctite on the locking bolts wouldn't go amiss - use Loctite 243
Can't go wrong!

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
agusta01 said:
Welcome klingon to the forum, see attached photo.

With your bike up on the rear stand, loosen the two locking bolts.
Then just simply turn the centre nut left of right depending if you wish to raise or lower the seat height.
Once happy with the new adjustment, retighten both locking bolts again.
Some loctite on the locking bolts wouldn't go amiss - use Loctite 243
Can't go wrong!

Sounds great, but will it affect the suspension adversely? I too am a shorter rider and even considered shaving the seat itself...can anyone comment on agusta01's modification?

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had mine done (the whole set up - seat heigt, and suspension) by the dealer. He said there are mininums and maximums to comply with. Otherwise it will affect the suspension. Cost was 45 minutes of labor for everything...

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
If you lower the rear and front the same distance it won't affect handling, but this needs to be done carefully. I don't know if you would gain much by shaving the seat, there isn't much padding there to begin with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies - especially "agusta1" for the photo.
Was afraid to touch it and go wrong on the first day with my MV.
Will try today and hope it will not effect the chain and other settings negatively (if I do only this lowering adjustment?)

"fazer6" if you find a photo of a nice looking clamp for the sidestand please post it. I'm wondering how to fix any clamp to the stand as it is from aluminium and it is not weldable ??? or am I wrong?

So if anyone has a good idea to fix a clamp to the stand please help. I don't want to kill the look of the machine with some odd looking D.I.Y. thing.

Btw it a very nice forum with lot of helpful people - so thanks again.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
klingon, the lowering or raising the seat height will not effect the chain adjustment in any way.
How about a pic of your new bike?

Cheers :)

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
klingon said:
"fazer6" if you find a photo of a nice looking clamp for the sidestand please post it. I'm wondering how to fix any clamp to the stand as it is from aluminium and it is not weldable ??? or am I wrong?

So if anyone has a good idea to fix a clamp to the stand please help. I don't want to kill the look of the machine with some odd looking D.I.Y. thing.

Btw it a very nice forum with lot of helpful people - so thanks again.
The ones I have seen are a 2 piece clamp that bolts around the stand, with the outside piece having a stem on it that protrudes outward. Fairly clean looking, though I believe they are likely cutom made.
There is a pic out there (I thought on this forum) of a sadly chromed F4, but it shows this mod. Does anyone remember where this pic is?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
benzo_76 said:
Hi everyone, I'm considering buying an F4, but there is one thing I would like to get everyones opinion on. I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam, is the F4 going to be too tall for me?
My 5'4 wife rides my F4 and it is raised quite a bit at the rear. Other than the usual 'riding someone else's bike' feelings didn't seem too uncomfortable.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The 1000 is a bit higher than the 750.

I'm about 5'7" and found that the stock ride height setting was a bit high, so I lowered the ride height as described in this post. Also got the shop to lower the front (by 2cm I think) to compensate. I also have slightly thickish soles on my riding boots which helps. The real danger is doing slow turns in car parks etc. You have to watch out for uneven surfaces - a few cm lower than you expect can be embarassing.... if you are not paying attention.

You soon get used to the feel of the bike at slow-stop maneouvrings and then all is sweet.

Doc

1 - 20 of 22 Posts