MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm hoping to get a TV-L, but I'm a bit worried about the seat height. I sat on one at the dealer and when upright on a level surface, I can just put the tip of my toes of my left foot on the ground while my right foot is on the back brake pedal. My concern is based on stability when stopped, especially if it's very windy or carrying a pillion.

I've only been riding about 4 years / 23,000 kms so don't have huge amount of experience but is the seat height something that I'll be able to get used to? Has anyone ordered the low seat by any chance? I'm 172cm in my birthday suit but I've got short legs ~30 inch inseam.

Cheers!

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can get the bike lowered with a lowering kit. There are a few on the market but MV supply one which does not affect the warranty. you can lower by 25mm, 35mm or even more. This is a better option than the low seat which I understand only has some of the padding removed to reduce height.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Just don't try stopping on a slope and putting your foot down on the wrong side like I did :banghead: :blush:

Sounds to me like you will definitely need the lowering kit.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The low seat is only 1cm lower, and I think that's the main seat area. Where you really need it lower is at the nose, but it's already well shaped and narrower there to help get your legs straight when putting a foot down.
Interesting mix of metric and imperial measurements!
I'm 5'7" (170cm), but have 31.5" inside leg, and manage with the standard height (have been caught out a couple of times).
I did originally have a 25mm/1" lowering kit fitted, but replaced it with the standard links.
I think you would definitely need the lowering kit, and drop the forks in the yokes a bit to match.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Hi all,

I'm hoping to get a TV-L, but I'm a bit worried about the seat height. I sat on one at the dealer and when upright on a level surface, I can just put the tip of my toes of my left foot on the ground while my right foot is on the back brake pedal. My concern is based on stability when stopped, especially if it's very windy or carrying a pillion.

I've only been riding about 4 years / 23,000 kms so don't have huge amount of experience but is the seat height something that I'll be able to get used to? Has anyone ordered the low seat by any chance? I'm 172cm in my birthday suit but I've got short legs ~30 inch inseam.

Cheers!
find a bike that fits you its safer
funny thing is manufacturers pay a guy/company loadza dosh to design a bike for safety handling etc

buy bike that fits not for its brand

·
Registered
33 Posts
find a bike that fits you its safer
funny thing is manufacturers pay a guy/company loadza dosh to design a bike for safety handling etc

buy bike that fits not for its brand
All it takes is a bit of technique and forward thinking to cope with a higher seat height.

Speaking as a real shortie, I had to take a deep breath the first time I test rode a TV, but smooth braking and shifting around the seat does the trick. The fact that the bike's so narrow and light is a big help. Confidence is everything - if you constantly fear you'll drop it, you probably will!

For me, the Turismo Veloce Lusso is my absolute dream bike, so I was determined to find ways of coping with the higher seat height - and that included getting the Daytona boots with the thicker sole, and the Lust Racing 25mm lowering links.

Rationally, most bikes over 600cc are too big for us shorties - so we have to adapt and be bold - if the mountain won't come to Muhammad, Muhammad must go to the mountain!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
All it takes is a bit of technique and forward thinking to cope with a higher seat height.

Speaking as a real shortie, I had to take a deep breath the first time I test rode a TV, but smooth braking and shifting around the seat does the trick. The fact that the bike's so narrow and light is a big help. Confidence is everything - if you constantly fear you'll drop it, you probably will!

For me, the Turismo Veloce Lusso is my absolute dream bike, so I was determined to find ways of coping with the higher seat height - and that included getting the Daytona boots with the thicker sole, and the Lust Racing 25mm lowering links.

Rationally, most bikes over 600cc are too big for us shorties - so we have to adapt and be bold - if the mountain won't come to Muhammad, Muhammad must go to the mountain!
so you didnt change the bike

·
Registered
33 Posts
so you didnt change the bike
Don't know whether that's a rhetorical question, but I simply wanted to make the point that rather than discounting a bike, there are things a rider can do to make a bike work for them - usually a mixture of setup tweaks and rider technique and confidence.

Yes, the bike is different from the factory, but there will always be a range of adjustments that a bike can take, some might even be improvements.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Don't know whether that's a rhetorical question, but I simply wanted to make the point that rather than discounting a bike, there are things a rider can do to make a bike work for them - usually a mixture of setup tweaks and rider technique and confidence.

Yes, the bike is different from the factory, but there will always be a range of adjustments that a bike can take, some might even be improvements.
Yep, the easiest modification is usually a simple attitude adjustment :smoking:.

Most cruiser riders won't go near anything they can't get both feet flat with bent knees and butt firmly planted, most motocross guys are used to getting one tip toe down when they slide out of the seat. My TV seemed tall at first, but then it made my other bikes seem short. :).

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Absolutely you can get used to it, it's all technique. I've a 30-inch inseam so it's a little bit challenging, but you just have to think ahead, planning solves 99% of problems related to this. The other 1% is luck.

I learned the adv bike ropes on a F800 GS, which I think is a bit higher, so by the time I got on the TV, I already had that confidence. To be honest, I'd be a little more nervous if the TV was my first tall bike just because any fall is likely to be more costly as far as replacing parts.

I also would be cautious with a pillion. You want to introduce that factor only after your confidence is established.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback, gents. Definitely good things for me to take a note of esp. planning and building up confidence before any +1 riding.

Also, I've been reading and decided that lowering links and modifying the geometry is not what I want to do. I trust the big $$$ in R&D that MV has put into designing the bike inc geometry, rather than the few grand a workshop might have invested into tooling and designing a lowering link, especially how doing that also reduces ground and cornering clearance.

I sat on the bike again and this time I noticed I slid my ass to the side when upright and I was able to get the ball of my left foot comfortably on the ground. They said when I was learning that all you need is one foot to be your third point of contact when stopped because your right foot should be on the back brake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have lowered seat (1 inch lower) and wear Daytona M-Star GTX boots. I find this combo enables me to put both feet flat on the ground. I have a 31 inch inseam. Seat is every bit as comfortable as the standard one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have lowered seat (1 inch lower) and wear Daytona M-Star GTX boots. I find this combo enables me to put both feet flat on the ground. I have a 31 inch inseam. Seat is every bit as comfortable as the standard one.
Did you have the stock seat modified to lower it an inch? I don't think the lower seat that MV Agusta sells is an inch lower - I believe it's less than half an inch (and that makes it a pretty expensive half inch). The service manager at my dealer (Rockwell Motorsports) compared the two seats side by side and agreed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Henry O, I was wondering where you bought your bike from? I'm located in Melbourne too. Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bought bike at Peter Stevens in City. Let me know if you want to for a ride sometime. I live in inner north.

Cheers, mate. I went in there weeks ago and one of them who ended up talking to me wasn't very helpful so I've been dealing with a guy at Motocentric (I think is the place). Looks like I'll be waiting for the new year to roll around now before I make a purchase.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just an observation about seat height.
I still own a Multistrada 1100, 850mm seat height, same as the TV, and for a few years never quite realised I could never get both feet flat at a standstill, until I was showing a duck diseased mate balance at a standstill. Tippy toes both sides.
He went and bought a Virago as a result! Must be one of the lowest seats around. But as another friend says he's not a rider.
Never dropped either of my Multis in 60,000 km of riding.
Sometimes I dream of a lower seat, other times not bothered.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts