MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Brutale 800 that's had its fair share of problems. My dealer, California Speed Sports in Livermore Ca. have done a great job of taking care of my problems.

Recently I brought my bike in for a third sprag clutch and a new battery. Without asking, while the bike was in the shop, the techs resealed the throttle bodies. It runs so much better, but even more amazing, my MPG has gone from 29-40 MPG. I can now go 125 miles before the low gas light comes on.

I really could care less about my MPG, but I think this probably means the engine is running more efficiently and the way it was meant to run from the factory.

It's nice to know I have a good dealer and techs who care.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Toby, you mean seal with like Testor's paint?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you explain what is meant by "seal the throttle bodies"?
I wish I could. Perhaps someone on the forum could better explain exactly what was done. I assume it means they used some kind of sealant between the throttle body and engine. I also assume this eliminated any air leakage which resulted in the engine running better and more efficiently.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Toby, you mean seal with like Testor's paint?
No, paint is not good for sealing manifolds.

In a few cases now, including Stephans F3, it was found that the bikes can have a badly seating inlet manifold.

Unfortunately the feedback from the guys is more often not very specific for obvious reasons, but it's either between the plate which bolts directly to the cylinder head, or between that same plate and the actual throttle bodies.
If you're going to fix one side might as well do both sides.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I've heard two versions. One is that the gasket between the throttle bodies has a 'honeycomb' design that is supposed to seal as it is compressed by the tightening of the bolts. Trouble sometimes it doesn't. Extra sealant fixes it. Second is that there's an o ring somewhere in the inlet that can sometimes not sit right. Again a blob of sealant will hold it in while the inlet is assembled.

As the inlet has to come off to do the sprag a sharp tech will do this while he's in there just to make sure its not an issue. If you have to have to have your sprag done it might be worth mentioning this to whoever does it.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
No, paint is not good for sealing manifolds.
No, definitely not. I wasn't referring to throttle body plates or manifolds. I remember guys sealing throttle body butterfly leaks in cars with model car paint. Really old school, and there are better things to use, but it was done at one time. You can still find rice racer cars with traces of Testors paint on the butterflies. This guy went overboard on the Testors, but applying it in very specific places, it sealed some tiny leaks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmBKLefwvV4

·
Registered
357 Posts
Italia I know what you are talking about and it worked great for the issue it was solving. The issue in the 3 cylinders has been exactly what Dons stated.

Although I never had the issue on my F3 800 when it was apart I made gaskets for each with 77b gasket material. Better safe than sorry I always say.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Italia I know what you are talking about and it worked great for the issue it was solving. The issue in the 3 cylinders has been exactly what Dons stated.
Yeah, I get that. Just wasn't clear on what the OP was referring to when he said "Seal your throttle bodies." Between that and the need to sync the air bleed screws, these 3-cylinder throttle bodies are troublesome. :thewife:

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Yeah, I wonder how many bikes with stalling problems are still running around out there because of this problem.
Good to see some mechanics are picking it up, hopefully word gets back to MV.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If your dealer is serviceing the bike properly any leak at the throttle bodies should be spotted when they find they cant balance them at the 600 mile service. Easy test is to spray a little wd40 on the mating surfaces with the bike ticking over. If there is a leak the engine will rev.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts