MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He guys,

I'm a little concerned about my Brute's gearbox. It sometimes makes a sort of scratchy noise, like some metal part ticks another quickly. I'm not able to find a pattern as to when or why it makes that noise but I get the feeling it sometimes does so when I accelerated to some 10.000 rpm or so, and then slow down, get it in second or third gear and then get back on the power to about 3000-4000 rpm. At that moment, when I release the clutch and get back on the power, it sometimes makes that noise..

I know it sounds a bit vague but does anyone recognize this and know what it might be?? Sounds a bit like this but just once, at 0.50s, sharpening a knife by hand.. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Uy9oNQqn0 *sorry for the cheesy vid haha*

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
He guys,

I'm a little concerned about my Brute's gearbox. It sometimes makes a sort of scratchy noise, like some metal part ticks another quickly. I'm not able to find a pattern as to when or why it makes that noise but I get the feeling it sometimes does so when I accelerated to some 10.000 rpm or so, and then slow down, get it in second or third gear and then get back on the power to about 3000-4000 rpm. At that moment, when I release the clutch and get back on the power, it sometimes makes that noise..

I know it sounds a bit vague but does anyone recognize this and know what it might be?? Sounds a bit like this but just once, at 0.50s, sharpening a knife by hand.. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Uy9oNQqn0 *sorry for the cheesy vid haha*
Check your rear hub bearings aren't failing..metal shavings around the brake disc carrier are not unknown.

Sounds can be difficult to locate so check this first.

Joe

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It doesn't make that sound at 10.000rpm, just at around 3000rpm and just every now and then. Mostly when you come down on your revs and get back on the throttle calmly and steady at approx 3000rpm.

Chain and sprocket are just 1500km old and properly adjusted. It's so hard to recognize since it doesn't make that sound constantly. That's also why I practically ruled out the rear hub. Furthermore it runs perfectly smooth and performes as it should but since I suspect the gearbox it's something that concernes me?

I would love to give you guys more info but I have no clue as to what I should you, this is basically all I can tell.. Anoyone got a clue based on this new info?

·
Super Moderator
22,118 Posts
I would be looking at the alignment of the chain and sprocket and checking the cush drive too.
Since it is an older Brutale, some of the newer sprocket combos don't align with the older parts creating rubs.
I am making the assumption here that you changed front and rear sprockets when you mounted a new chain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am in Holland and have noticed some Dutch members here as well but they're all too far away.

I bought the Brute like two months ago at a well respected but non-MV bikeshop. They replaced the chain and rear sprocket so I will certainly check the allignment, it might be off. However, I still find it strange that it only scratches/rubs in third gear at around 3.000rpm..

Btw, I'll introduce myself in the Brutale section with a few nice pics of the bike :)

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I am in Holland and have noticed some Dutch members here as well but they're all too far away.

I bought the Brute like two months ago at a well respected but non-MV bikeshop. They replaced the chain and rear sprocket so I will certainly check the allignment, it might be off. However, I still find it strange that it only scratches/rubs in third gear at around 3.000rpm..

Btw, I'll introduce myself in the Brutale section with a few nice pics of the bike :)
I'd be happy to check it ;) or help, or whatever if possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts