MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading the last damper post I have to give you folks an update.
I just designed a new bracket system for the Scotts dampener. I was not happy with a system I recently purchased. The brackets are made from 6061 T6 aluminum plate and were modeled using Soild Works. I really am making a set for myself but I can make a run of 10 or so. They will be Mil spec anodized black after finish machining and the steel spacers will be cadmium plated. I worked with Scotts Performance on this to get the fitment correct. The pivot center of the dampener is properly located and the pin design is per there specification. I will have test unit installed on my Brutale in the white, in about a week.

I have used Scotts units in the past on my KTM dirt bikes and found them superior to all others out there. They have a low and a high speed adjustment and are a real good high quality product. They do not lend them selves to easy fitment on all sport bikes due to configuration.

I have ridden my Brutale with the old Ohlins/Scott damper configuration and observed the following. My head shake from hard excells over rough pavement is gone. The bike tracks excellent and feels like its on rails. I rode it back to back through my normal Sunday A.M. ride with damper on and then removed. The difference was amazing. My arms were not as "pumped up" from fatigue that I did not even realize was taking place without a dampener installed.

I'll place pictures on my next post of new configuration if anyone is interested.

Edgar

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am about 190 lbs, and ride height is stock, the shock setting front and rear are stock as the factory shipped the bike. As soon as I go to a track day I will tweek them. The bike is great out of the box. You can usally tweek to your own riding ability and weight. You need a closed track to do this on so you can ride a known repeatable section to test settings.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ill have a price for the mounts as soon as I get a cost for the processing. I have used a local plating shop for some other parts I have made for my Rutan Varieze and a couple of RV's at my airport. I have a hanger there and do some aircraft inspection and maintanence (Santa Paula CA), my real job is engineering for a large aerospace firm at Palmdale CA.

The intent was to build some extra mounts to spread the cost over 10 units or so. The Scott dampener is mounted in reverse, this locates the pivot over the steering axis, you need to clear the instrument panel. I am located near Scotts Performance and can order the proper configuration and crank arm. I would just pass the cost of the dampener through. The face plate needs to be the "reverse" model, and the crank arm is press fit and not easily changed with out thier tools. The arm you need with my mount is stepped and a specific length. If you have an exsisitng Scotts or Ohlins unit I can have it serviced, the face plate changed and the proper crank arm installed. Also the pin needs to be trimmed to a specific length at both ends. Its better if I spec out your dampener and order it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey ezepilot
When you have a price let me know.I have a scotts damper that i also use on my KTM`s.
Would like to fit it to my 910R also

bruty910

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have a Scotts damper I'd like to install on my Brutale...but I'm confused about why things need to be so special?

I've seen pix of the Ohlins, which is identical to the Scotts in external dimensions AFAIK, and it mounts in the traditional orientation w/o any specialized mounting bits. However, if this really is necessary then I'd like to order one of the mounts. I live near Scotts, as well, so could have them do the appropriate mods to make it work.

Thanks very much for your efforts and offer. I'm looking forward to hearing more details.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Good question here is the short answer.

There are (2) design criteria that have to be met in order for the Scott type dampener to function properly and meet service life expectations. This is according to the Scott techs I personally spoke with.

First, the dampers pivot arm center line must be placed over the axial center line of the forks pivot point. This will insure that there is no fore and aft movement of the fixing pin to its corresponding slot in the crank arm as the forks moved full lock to full lock. This will cause premature wear of the slot to pin interface and a progressive opening of the slot which will decrease the dampening action of the shock. Second, the arm holding pin must be free to rotate slightly in order to not transfer a bending, twisting or vertical load into the pivot arm bearing. If the fixing pin cannot rotate slightly, binding of the pins flat sides against the crank arms slot will occur and load up the crank arms bearing in the Scotts dampener. This will occur because the bike will flex under load and the relative position of the pin and dampener change.

Thirdly I am a gear head engineer and can’t stand it if something is not designed correctly, so I have to fix it!

In order for all the above to occur, the Scott dampener must be turned around so the printing is inverted, other wise it runs smack into the Brutale instrument panel. The crank arm must be turned around to connect with the fixing pin. Fortunately Scotts Performance offers a reverse machine lettered face plate you can specify at time of purchase. They will also install any crank arm you like in the inverted position at time of purchase. If you already have a Scotts or Ohlins dampener it will still work, all you need is the proper crank arm turned around facing the other direction. You will still have the printing upside down as you read it, if this bugs you a new inverse face plate can be ordered and installed, your choice.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thank you for the explanation. Looking at my dampener and reading at the same time yields what I believe to be a complete understanding of the issue. PLEASE let me and everyone else know when these are ready, as I will want one ASAP.

I can live w/ the upside down lettering. I'm assuming replacing the crank arm won't prove too difficult a task.

However, what I hear you saying is that there is something wrong w/ the setup as pictured here. I wouldn't think Ohlins would put out a system that might disintegrate in normal use.
http://www.emotouk.com/mvagusta/steeringdampers2.htm

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The arm needs a puller you can buy from Scotts perfomance, or I can have the arm pulled and the proper one installed, facing the proper direction.

Ohlins did not invent this rotary dampener, they bought rights to produce it. I do not know why they designed their brackets the way they did.

I am 3rd in line to get on the mill as I writing this. As soon as I have the unit off the mill I will install it in the white (no finish) and test function it with a Scotts Dampener installed. I will shoot pictures and post them here.

As I stated before I'll pass through the cost of the dampener or reworking your unit. The cost of the mounts I can't calculate yet because I do not know all my costs. This started out as a project for myself but Pro Italia and other folks showed interest. I most likely need to make runs of at least (10) units at a time to spead out the cost of the machine set up, anodize, cad plating etc., these guys all have minimum charges I need to spread out.

Keep an eye on this post.

·
Registered
431 Posts
ezepilot, I want to make sure I'm clear here. We all REALLY appreciate the work you're putting into getting this mount created. I was just hoping to get something which would allow me to easily swap the damper from one bike to another.

Thank you, again, for all your work on this. Please include me as an interested party when the tooling is complete.

·
Registered
785 Posts
giomanach said:
ezepilot, I want to make sure I'm clear here. We all REALLY appreciate the work you're putting into getting this mount created. I was just hoping to get something which would allow me to easily swap the damper from one bike to another.
The new billet mount we are producing will require no mods, will be ready a couple of weeks before xmas.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hey eMoto,

Any progress? I'm going to be in London in March and would love to carry one of these back with me...maybe even a few for some other forum members.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts