MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody here fitted a ScottOiler to their Brutale ?
If so can you please send me some pics of the install

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
There is a little firm in UK selling an alternative to Scotoiler.

With the Scotoiler you have to adjust to suit viscosity changes with temperature...else you can get a very slippy rear tyre.

The Uk alternative is a tube with a manual valve and you can open it and close it and adjust it as and when you desire...I prefer this.

The UK one costs £ 20.00 and can be fitted in 20 minutes ( took me 10 on my Laverda )

I have used it and it works. I hate oiling chains when I get home from a ride out.

google tutoro chain

joe

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe I'll check it out
I have the ScottOiler fitted on my two other bikes and I agree - it takes about 6 rides to get the oil flow right (or less than Victoria Falls)

·
Registered
14,533 Posts
chain oilers?

everything old, rediscovered :drummer:

those that don't study the past are doomed to repeat it

my 1st English bike, a Triumph T 100R had a Factory built in chain oiler :smoking:

there was a needle valve controlled oil line off the return line from the engine, it was inside the oil tank:wtf:

no viscosity worries it was hot oil:)
no extra BS
set it and forget it :stickpoke

my Norton had the same thing:stickpoke

and then the New engineers arrived:wtf:

then they started selling chain lube:laughing:

on my Honda singles, i routed the crankcase breather to the bottom inside run of the chain. go play in the dirt and come back with a clean, oiled chain:)

·
Administrator
20,090 Posts
But if you have an o-ring chain the Scott oiler is just a mess maker......o-ring chains only need lube to keep the o-rings happy and the chain clean. The oil you pour on the chain never penetrates the links....the o-rings seal them up.

This is not the 60's...chain technology has left the oilers in the past......unless you run a non o-ring chain for horsepower gains (less friction), in which case you are racing and will be taking good care of the chain anyway...

Am I right Noel?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had a scott oiler fitted to my F41000s, see attached photo, I now have one on my S1000rr BMW, I went for the new electronic one, which allows you to control the drops of oil to the second, mine is currently set on 1 drop of oil every 120 seconds.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I saw a chain driven Harley last year. It was unusual in that the rear sprocket doubled as the rear brake disc.

He used and O ring chain and never oiled it ( for obvious reasons )

He did say the chains don't last very long...about 4000 miles

My mate has a Scotoiler on his Fazer...original chain on 24000 miles..

joe

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't understand why simple things are sometimes made needlessly complicated. My routine for chains is simple, I apply it on both o-ring and non o-ring chains, and my chains in all sorts of use (street bikes, track bikes, dirt bikes) last a long time, stay clean, and don't flick lube all over the place. Wipe down periodically with a rag damp with WD-40, wipe dry, apply a very light amount of chain lube to the inside run of the chain, adjust tension if necessary, go riding.

-Ruben

·
Administrator
20,090 Posts
I don't understand why simple things are sometimes made needlessly complicated. My routine for chains is simple, I apply it on both o-ring and non o-ring chains, and my chains in all sorts of use (street bikes, track bikes, dirt bikes) last a long time, stay clean, and don't flick lube all over the place. Wipe down periodically with a rag damp with WD-40, wipe dry, apply a very light amount of chain lube to the inside run of the chain, adjust tension if necessary, go riding.

-Ruben
+1.....This is exactly my routine. My chains last a long time. Gina is on her original chain at over 18K miles and I have only adjusted it once.

·
Registered
14,533 Posts
O-ringers?

yes, Ed you are absolutely right........

i use non O-ring Regina-Extra 525 it weighs ~2 pounds less and costs 20-25% as much as O-ring chain

i got 30,000 mi out of the Regina-Extra O-ring on my Aprilia RSVR so no complaint there

but losing ~2 pounds of rotating mostly unsprung weight and saving money at the same time sounds great to me:smoking:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Once you fit the Scottoiler (about 40 minutes) you only have to think about the chain every 3,000 kms or when you have to adjust it. I got 42,000 kms out of my OEM chain and rear sprocket (had to replace the front one at 26,000 kms.

the Chain was still in fantastic condition when I sold the bike, a mate of mine got 62,000 kms out of his chain and rear sprocket on his RSV 1000, you cant beat that!!! go the scottoiler!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts