MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a Scot oiler on their 990R. If so do you know where the vacuum line is to plug into.
Jon

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
i used to have a system simular to the scottoiler back in the 70s when oils wernt oils ..all you had was 20 50 for all engines castrol or castrol R and a few other big names
Chain oil/ grease was normaly old engine oil boiled up and your chain soaked in it over winter ready for summer ready to race
and with todays oils greases coatings waxes on and on do we realy need an oiler droping hot oil on your chain

·
Registered
188 Posts
Vacuum connections

Easily done. The. Scottolier vacuum based system needs only to sense the vacuum created when the engine is running. You will note the 990R has two vacuum lines running to the outside of the bike on both the left and right sides, just below the fuel tank. Simply tee into any one of those four vacuum lines.

Best wishes,
Dick

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
lubing chains?

col;
on my 4 stroke dirt bikes i ran the crankcase breather to the inside of the bottom run of the chain......

no one could figure why my chain was spotless and lasted so long

the oil misted on to the chain lubed it and carried the dirt/grit away

chain waxes and sticky lubes KEEP the dirt/grit on the chain and grind stuff up faster.....and you can't lube an O-ring chain internally

and flung oil is way easier to clean up than chain wax:drummer:

most of the old English dry sump bikes had an adjustable chain oiler, usually the adjuster was just inside the oil tank

·
Super Moderator
22,445 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use bike as commuter & long tripper as well. Traded in my Speed Triple for it. I did 25knlast year on triple so oiling my chain seems wise. I used the Tuturo manual chain luber on the triple as the vacuum line was too hard to access but I'll go back to the Scot oiler if it's easy to install.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
col;
on my 4 stroke dirt bikes i ran the crankcase breather to the inside of the bottom run of the chain......

no one could figure why my chain was spotless and lasted so long

the oil misted on to the chain lubed it and carried the dirt/grit away

chain waxes and sticky lubes KEEP the dirt/grit on the chain and grind stuff up faster.....and you can't lube an O-ring chain internally

and flung oil is way easier to clean up than chain wax:drummer:

most of the old English dry sump bikes had an adjustable chain oiler, usually the adjuster was just inside the oil tank
Knurl mate thank you for clearing that up

·
Registered
194 Posts
I never lube my chains - I only use WD40 or ACF50 for corrosion protection. I keep them spotlessly clean.

Like has been said, oil etc only attracts dirt and creates a grinding paste that wears them out quicker.

I rarely have to adjust them and never get tight spots. They only need the internal lubrication that is injected during assembly.

It's a routine that has worked for me for decades across road, race and various engine configurations.

·
Super Moderator
22,445 Posts
Aiki, that's pretty significant distance in a year.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NZ is a great place to ride around. I did 40k + in 2 years on my Honda Predator, the bike before the Speed Triple. Unfortunately to get to the really good roads from Wellington it takes a couple of hours ride.
Also I can ride all year round, gets bloody cold & still haven't found gloves that keep my fingers warm. Had heated grips on last 2 bikes. Seems a shame to put them on the 990r but mid winter after freezing fingers I'll probably crack and get them.
Jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts