MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a new lid and have read a lot of great things about the Schuberth brand. Comfort, quiet, quality. :flash:

They're no longer imported into the states, but several places still have them and at what appears to be a great price.

If anyone has owned one, are they as comfortable and as quiet as reports say?

I'm currently wearing a two year old Arai Quantum, and am happy with it but if Schuberth's are as advertised I may buy one and give the Arai to the wife.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,486 Posts


I have this flip-up model, not sure which it is. It has a flip open face, and a fighter pilot style drop down sun visor. It scores high on the technology scale, is light, quiet, and comfy. That being said, my head has always fit best in an Shoei, can't seem to get an Arai to fit, so make sure you try one on first, they are pricey, but high quality.

Good luck,

Griff
twoeleven
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
GasCitySmitty said:
I'm thinking of buying a new lid and have read a lot of great things about the Schuberth brand. Comfort, quiet, quality. :flash:
Make sure its a Concept 2 - there are a lot of improvements and it is much quieter than a Concept. I've worn my Concept 2 for about 2 years now and it is very comfortable and MUCH more quiet than the other flip-ups I've owned (Shoei Syncrotech and Nolan). The ear cups and close chin guard work great. The helmet works well and once you've used to a flip-up with the integrated sun shield it is hard to live with removing a full face to quickly talk, drink, or snack and changing shields for night of regular helmets. The locking mechanism of the flip-up is top notch, with visible red pins that disappear when it is properly latched so I feel it is probably as safe as a full face.

That said - I don't think any Flip-up will ever be a quiet as a full face. I use the flip up for long trips, and day-night riding. If I know I'm just taking a day ride I grab my full face. :)

Tom
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,486 Posts
TPadden said:
Make sure its a Concept 2 - there are a lot of improvements and it is much quieter than a Concept. I've worn my Concept 2 for about 2 years now and it is very comfortable and MUCH more quiet than the other flip-ups I've owned (Shoei Syncrotech and Nolan). The ear cups and close chin guard work great. The helmet works well and once you've used to a flip-up with the integrated sun shield it is hard to live with removing a full face to quickly talk, drink, or snack and changing shields for night of regular helmets. The locking mechanism of the flip-up is top notch, with visible red pins that disappear when it is properly latched so I feel it is probably as safe as a full face.

That said - I don't think any Flip-up will ever be a quiet as a full face. I use the flip up for long trips, and day-night riding. If I know I'm just taking a day ride I grab my full face. :)

Tom
I should have said all this, too... +1

Shoei X-11 for daytime sorties, I use this helmet for when I know it will be dark on the way home, sunny on the way out...Great points Tom.

Griff
twoeleven
 

·
King of the Sink
Joined
·
1,571 Posts
Also, bear in mind that all BMW helmets are made by Schuberth - just in case you have any difficulties finding one in the future.
 

·
The Dude
Joined
·
5,041 Posts
Sventekoz said:
Also, bear in mind that all BMW helmets are made by Schuberth - just in case you have any difficulties finding one in the future.

this is probably the biggest hurdle to get over when shopping for a schuberth.... i haven't quite made it, though the bluesonic stuff from them (which doesn't make it over here) has got me interested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Started with a Concept and now have a Concept 2. The C2 is superior to the original concept. Great helmet. I also have an Arai Quantum 2. These helmets fit my coconut well. I could not find a Shoei that fit.

Hope this helps with the very tough situation of fitting a helmet to your melon if you can't try it on at a dealership.

I find the Concepts did not work well for me on sportbikes. The top of the visor opening was too low and the aerodynamics were not right (Aprilia RSVR 1000 and Hayabusa are the rides). That's why I got the Arai. Concept works great on my 910R and other more upright bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Also have a C2 Schuberth. I love its fit and quietness. One consideration is that it's difficult to find a replacement visor in case it's scratched. Helmet Depot had a nice supply recently so I ordered several, just in case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,189 Posts
Arn't Schuberths REALLY heavy? I realize that they are great quality otherwise. Shoei X11 and Arai Corsair for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
774 Posts
I ride with Shuberth helmets for years now and I don't want another.
Some could say they are ugly and heavy. It is may the thruth, but once on your head, you forget everything, lissen to the silence and look the perfect view.
You can also paint them with a good result (see my avatar). It's a S1 and I also own a C2. Both are perfect for me.
 

·
The Dude
Joined
·
5,041 Posts
Randarosa said:
Arn't Schuberths REALLY heavy? I realize that they are great quality otherwise. Shoei X11 and Arai Corsair for me.

their carbon fiber one is really light!
 

·
King of the Sink
Joined
·
1,571 Posts
TokyoLunch said:
their carbon fiber one is really light!
And REALLY expensive. It's $2,500 here...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
i have the S1,very quiet and snug fit,and good ventilation,the only downside i had was the visor,after a while the coating on the inside (anti fog), cracks up into very fine lines and in the sun its hard to see out of,it it was replaced by warranty but it took about 4 months to get,these visors are not cheap if you want to replace,here in UK about £50,BUT A VERY GOOD HELMET.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Does anyone have any experience comparing the S1 to the R1? From what I've read thus far, the S1 is a heavier helmet. Is it that noticeable? The reason is asking is because there's a sale where the S1 helmets are half price.

http://www.extremesupply.com/schuberthhelmets/schuberthS1helmet.html

Also the R1's aren't available in the States yet but I would be willing to pay the difference if it's worth. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,189 Posts
Sventekoz said:
And REALLY expensive. It's $2,500 here...
Even trying to convert those funky Aussie Dollars....that's a shit load of money for a helmet, eh, mate? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,449 Posts
Artful_Dodger said:
Does anyone have any experience comparing the S1 to the R1? From what I've read thus far, the S1 is a heavier helmet. Is it that noticeable? The reason is asking is because there's a sale where the S1 helmets are half price.

http://www.extremesupply.com/schuberthhelmets/schuberthS1helmet.html

Also the R1's aren't available in the States yet but I would be willing to pay the difference if it's worth. Thanks.
I think that's true unless you are talking about the carbon S1. :mouthwate
 

·
King of the Sink
Joined
·
1,571 Posts
Randarosa said:
Even trying to convert those funky Aussie Dollars....that's a shit load of money for a helmet, eh, mate? :)
Yep - about $2,225 of yours!

Because they're so light (800 grams), I know of one guy who had his blow away in the wind and got very scuffed and scratched...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
i dont have any problem with the weight of the S1,you can not fault it,apart from the visor problem,and i think they will sort that out in time,aerodynamics are great as well not so much neck strain as other ones i have worn,it cuts throught the air.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top