MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Scary noise from engine, Dragster RR-> It was the spragclutch

Hi!
Yesterday i was firing up my RR after riding at the track, it was a technical track, so i was in 3 gear for most of the time, and the revs was high most of the time.
When the bike has got about 1 hour to cool down, it was time to get out there again, and it fires up, and this nois, sounds like someone had put some gravel in there, i was wearing earplugs and helmet, so i just, "Whatthehell!" :wtf: and then it was gone, i revd it to about 3-4000rpm, and the sound was back, and the engine stopped...... pushed it out of the pit, and was sure that the engine was shot.
About 20min later i pushed the starter (if it was gone, whats the difference) and it fired right up, and no noise, reved it, some noise, then all back to normal...... Did ride it home, as there was no other way to get it home, and for the 180km ride, no issues.Did it in "R" mode, and very easy riding :moped: Anyone else had this "problem"?
It happened at 21015km.
Was suspecting the timing chain tensioner, but i dont know...
Was at the dealer today, and its going in july 20.
But i could just ride it :wtf:

Reactions: craigzx9

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Did you do a search on spragg clutch noise, or do you think this was different?
This was different. The engine was idling when this occurred.
And it sounded like it came from the LHs of the engine.
The guy on the bike in front of me turned around and looked at me, with this look : :stopp:

·
Registered
265 Posts
As i can see, yes.
I believe that model has the hydraulic cam chain tensioner in it which is noisy on startup sometimes. My '16 F3 675 RC does it on occasion.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Welcome to the world of MV! My girl has a spirit all her own, mystery noises, random clicks and clanks. I'ts kind of like when it rains and your joints ache. I love her because every ride is filled with the wonder and mystery of what was that noise. Oh, look she's idling erratically today! Oh, today she ran great! Oh today the cooling system is gurgling! Oh look now my clutch engages here, and tomorrow it engages there.! Oh, today the shifts are smooth and no clanks between shifts! Oh, well there's that noise again, haha I thought that one went away! The Ghost n the Machine! Sting must have been an MV Owner!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Welcome to the world of MV! My girl has a spirit all her own, mystery noises, random clicks and clanks. I'ts kind of like when it rains and your joints ache. I love her because every ride is filled with the wonder and mystery of what was that noise. Oh, look she's idling erratically today! Oh, today she ran great! Oh today the cooling system is gurgling! Oh look now my clutch engages here, and tomorrow it engages there.! Oh, today the shifts are smooth and no clanks between shifts! Oh, well there's that noise again, haha I thought that one went away! The Ghost n the Machine! Sting must have been an MV Owner!!
OMG! This is EXACTLY how I would describe my experience! Exactly. Added to the above, I get a few smells of something and wonder what it is as well. Also a crazy little rattle at a certain RPM.

All part of the epic experience

Love it!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I cant figure out what it is going on your description. You are at basically 13,000 miles. Im at 9,000 miles so a bit behind but never had anything like this...yet

I would point at a Sprag or similar. My last bike a Benelli Tornado Tre 900 had I think they call it the Z25 basket or similar go, it got very noisy like gravel, then just stopped. A few weeks later it chewed all the teeth off and spat them in the bottom of the sump which the magnetic bolt picked up

Maybe worth a quick look there to see if its got loose metal or just normal swarf

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:laughing:
Thanks guys :D
So, as I understand, no worries :naughty:

Im used to Italian cars, so I know they have a mind of there own and that's why we love them :rolleyes:
But this sound was much like the noise just before my Integrale locked all 4 wheels and stopped with a shot engine :rolleyes:
Just have to take the Dragster to the track on thursday, and see if it survives :devil:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

I'm having similar issues with my F3 675 RC with only 2500 km's on the clock so far. I quickly got used to the "normal" sounds these engines make. In fact I asked the dealer when I picked it up for the first time if oil in the engine was something optional and/or if it comes with marbles in the engine as a standard (Had several Honda's before this MV so you can imagine I wasn't used to the MV rock crushing sounds).

So far I have taken the bike to two trackdays and had horrible sounds coming from the engine on both occasions. When a track session ends and you park the bike and start it after about 10 minutes you can hear ticking/rattling noises on the left hand side. When you let it run for a while and rev the engine a little it goes away after a while. Under normal road use it doesn't happen and even the dealer could not reproduce it after starting it cold and warm and even after running it on the dyno. I think however that it got hotter on track during a 25 minute session than it did on the dyno.

Unable to reproduce the problem nothing was done and last Friday I rode it again on track, although in slightly colder conditions and had almost the same "problem". Rattling noises especially when you rev the engine a little after starting the bike when it is hot and it takes a while before this goes away.

The bike runs perfectly without any loss of power and at tickover and I'm 99.9% sure it's the cam chain tensioner that somehow doesn't hold tension when the oil is really hot and it then takes some time after starting to tension the chain again.

It's back at the dealer again and they will probably install a new tensioner.

Latest problem: Bike starts for a longer than normal time before it fires up...........and still a soft sponge front brake even after bleeding of calipers and master by the dealer.

I'm an engineer and worked on cars and bikes for as long as I can remember, but an MV is something special, in many ways.

MV Agusta bikes, passion and emotion

Ride with passion and pay the repair bills with emotion.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you Lowside :)
I'm "glad" to hear that im not the only one with weird and scary noises :)
I have a lot of tracktime on this bike, about once a week during summer, and this is the first time i hear this, and its 21'km.
But i also will tell the people to check the tensioner, and replace it. I believe that its a lot of strain on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi
I have just took my Dragster to Spain and Portugal and towards the end of the trip after riding for 9 days the engine was nosier and it was from the LHS and sounded like timing chain. I have now fitted a Zero exhaust cant hear the rattles at all problem sorted.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Hi
I have just took my Dragster to Spain and Portugal and towards the end of the trip after riding for 9 days the engine was nosier and it was from the LHS and sounded like timing chain. I have now fitted a Zero exhaust cant hear the rattles at all problem sorted.
LOL! Zero problems!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Just a thought on this, I had a rattle cam chain side of engine, it was cam chain "guide" which is glued to the rocker cover fell off and was wondering loose in The top of the engine.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will have the people at the dealer to check the cam chain tensioner and the guide.
Going to Barcelona in September, so I would like the bike to be in a "good mood" :D

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, been out for a quick ride, and the engine sounds a lot quieter than before..... :wtf:
I usually ride with ear plugs, but today i wanted to hear the engine.
No rattles, clunks or any sort of "italian" noises.... it sounded like a.... a JAPANESE bike!!!:errr: :jsm:
Is this a sign? Will my bike die now? :violin:

·
Registered
117 Posts
That is pretty spot on. I am going to get my chain tensioner replaced because from time to time i can hear a very loud distinctive loose or overtensioned cam chain sound just to get some peace of mind. (Not sure if it actually is the tensioner).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts