MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and girls,

The new member to the family has arrived and after blowing some cobwebs out it is starting first kick, the next issues is making it stop. I tried to bleed the brakes and found the master cylinder jamming. I've pulled out the piston and I think I need to replace the rubbers on the piston, they might have swelled or something as they are far too tight, that or maybe someone has used the wrong fluid???

Anyway does anyone know where I might be able to obtain replacements for these rubber seal, I've read a few posts that suggest that the brake systems is one of the Achilles heels of the bike.

Would a brake place have something that would fit? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Yep, Scarab brakes are a nightmare. I'd suggest you opt for a Brembo replacement which is quite common for the bikes, both today and when they were new. I think Magni supply a Brembo kit for the Ipotesi. If you really want to keep the Scarabs then it's pretty much e-bay. These sites may provide some assistance
bevelrubber and ducatimeccanica but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Hey guys and girls,

The new member to the family has arrived and after blowing some cobwebs out it is starting first kick, the next issues is making it stop. I tried to bleed the brakes and found the master cylinder jamming. I've pulled out the piston and I think I need to replace the rubbers on the piston, they might have swelled or something as they are far too tight, that or maybe someone has used the wrong fluid???

Anyway does anyone know where I might be able to obtain replacements for these rubber seal, I've read a few posts that suggest that the brake systems is one of the Achilles heels of the bike.

Would a brake place have something that would fit? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards
I had similar problems with my scarabs on the Ipotesi " fix one thing then another issue . In the end I got rid of them and bought the Brembo kit from Magni . Much better braking and you can get parts. Wish I never wasted my time and money on the Scarabs. You can order direct from Goivanni Magni, and it doesn't take that long.
Picture of rear brake.Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Can't speak specifically to the Ipotesi Scarab brakes, but I have Scarabs on my 750 America. My bike had been sitting unused for decades when I got it and the brakes needed a thorough going through. Road and Race (on your side of the planet) had all the rubber seal bits for the master and wheel cylinders. The rubber brake lines were trash so I replaced them with new braided SS ones. The master cylinder bore was also pitted so I had it resleeved with a SS liner. No leaks or other issues for several years now and the brakes work just fine. Seemed like basic brake service to me.
Hope that helps.
Chuck S.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
As of my knowledge is Joerg Bohnenstiel in Germany might the last expert on Scarab, Lockheed and such early brakes.
He does this not as his main business but I know he would be not mad if I give You his email address.
So PM me if You need.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Can't speak specifically to the Ipotesi Scarab brakes, but I have Scarabs on my 750 America. My bike had been sitting unused for decades when I got it and the brakes needed a thorough going through. Road and Race (on your side of the planet) had all the rubber seal bits for the master and wheel cylinders. The rubber brake lines were trash so I replaced them with new braided SS ones. The master cylinder bore was also pitted so I had it resleeved with a SS liner. No leaks or other issues for several years now and the brakes work just fine. Seemed like basic brake service to me.
Hope that helps.
Chuck S.
I tried that route also, and got parts from them as well. Buts still had issues.parts they sell are new old stock.
Brembo is a much better brake package ,i wouldn't waste my time and money on the Scarabs .

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Hey guys and girls,

Regards
You need to decide what you want out of this bike.

If you want an original bike that's period correct then you need to go through the headaches of getting the Scarabs to work correctly, which can be done, I offer 3 models that I have with Scarabs as an example which work (by 70's standards) perfectly.

If you want a ride-able efficient classic then you'd go down Adrian's path - the modern Brembos are better brakes, more efficient and certainly more reliable.

It is your bike and your choice :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
You need to decide what you want out of this bike.

If you want an original bike that's period correct then you need to go through the headaches of getting the Scarabs to work correctly, which can be done, I offer 3 models that I have with Scarabs as an example which work (by 70's standards) perfectly.

If you want a ride-able efficient classic then you'd go down Adrian's path - the modern Brembos are better brakes, more efficient and certainly more reliable.

It is your bike and your choice :)
Exactly Rob. Depends what you want.
For me the choice was easy as the bike is not standard anyway and I gave it a try with the Scarabs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your comments. Yes the use of the bike is the best starting point. I plan to ride the bike, not regularly but I want to have some fun, say 10-20 times a year, but initially I thought of trying to keep it as original as possible.

Having said that it's not original now and after seeing Adrian's photos the Brembos, they look awesome and I do like stopping when you need to.

I've sent Magni an email and asked for pricing, looks like it will be expensive. I've also contacted Road and Race to get some info, they have been very helpful and apparently parts are reproduced here in Aus. That surprised me as I didn't think we made anything anymore :)

So after I hear back from Magni, I'll make a decision on what way to go. Does anyone here have a ball park on pricing for this kit?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Thanks for all your comments. Yes the use of the bike is the best starting point. I plan to ride the bike, not regularly but I want to have some fun, say 10-20 times a year, but initially I thought of trying to keep it as original as possible.

Having said that it's not original now and after seeing Adrian's photos the Brembos, they look awesome and I do like stopping when you need to.

I've sent Magni an email and asked for pricing, looks like it will be expensive. I've also contacted Road and Race to get some info, they have been very helpful and apparently parts are reproduced here in Aus. That surprised me as I didn't think we made anything anymore :)

So after I hear back from Magni, I'll make a decision on what way to go. Does anyone here have a ball park on pricing for this kit?

Cheers
I think from memory it cost me close to $1500au including shipping and taxes at my door. I thought it wasn't too bad .Was expecting it to be a lot more at the time.
Remember to allow for gst/duty on top of the price he gives you and he won't do you any favours with reducing the total price for tax .
Cheers

·
Registered
198 Posts
Rebuilding the Scarabs (front brakes only) on my 750 was about $350USD including resleeving the master cylinder, rebuilding the calipers (two) and new stainless steel brake lines. While the brake lever feel is a bit "wooden", the brakes work reasonably well and they are consistent with all the disk systems from that period - Brembo included. The braided steel lines stiffen things up considerably. Doing this work is relatively straight forward if you are handy with wrenches/tools, but best left to an expert if you are not.

You can also easily mix and match components to get better brake feel by slightly reducing the master cylinder piston size and/or changing pad materials (I don't recall what I used, but I was able to find a couple of choices that fit - again, ask Road and Race.) In the end, you need to decide what you want - original or not.

Hope that helps and good luck.
Chuck S.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Adrian I've got pricing back from Magni and your right on the money.... and although I can see that it's good value I think I might try and fix the Scarabs brakes. Not because I think they will be better and not because they are cheaper (only in the short term and yes I might be a tight arse), but because this is my first 'classic' bike I have ever owned and I think half the fun of owning a bike like this is to ride it as it was originally made. Famous last words.... I might change my opinion the first corner and in the long run I am more than likely to go with the upgrade brakes.

Thanks for all your advise, I'll let you know how it works out.

Bring on the wood (wooden brakes that is)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Adrian I've got pricing back from Magni and your right on the money.... and although I can see that it's good value I think I might try and fix the Scarabs brakes. Not because I think they will be better and not because they are cheaper (only in the short term and yes I might be a tight arse), but because this is my first 'classic' bike I have ever owned and I think half the fun of owning a bike like this is to ride it as it was originally made. Famous last words.... I might change my opinion the first corner and in the long run I am more than likely to go with the upgrade brakes.

Thanks for all your advise, I'll let you know how it works out.

Bring on the wood (wooden brakes that is)
That's ok . If my bike was orginal which it's far from , I might have persisted to get them to work properly. My 750 has the scarabs and I would get them working if they played up because that's a original bike.
Good luck , hopefully yours aren't like mine where you fix one thing and another problem arises.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts