1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
37 Posts
I saw that yesterday. It was a little over $4K. Doesn't seem like that bad of deal if we assume that the damage is just cosmetic.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've driven down to look at a couple of Duc's before and most of her stuff is cosmetic.

·
Registered
37 Posts
How much do you figure to bring it up to pristine condition? I'm banking $6K or $7K. Probably less depending on where you buy the parts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was gonna start a thread on this bike asking for an education on what's going on.

The bid on this bike is now over 8 grand. Looking at the damage it appears to be cosmetic but a lot of it at that. It needs a tank, airbox, side panels, seat cowl, footpegs and so on.

I could see if someone wanted this bike to build a track bike then a lot of that stuff doesn't matter, but for someone to buy it and then need to fix it I could see 3 or 4 thousand dollars worth of parts going into it even at used prices. Aren't these bikes selling for something in the 15K range unmolested with clean titles?

What's the rationale behind spending the big money on these salvage bikes?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
andrewmr said:
I was gonna start a thread on this bike asking for an education on what's going on.

The bid on this bike is now over 8 grand. Looking at the damage it appears to be cosmetic but a lot of it at that. It needs a tank, airbox, side panels, seat cowl, footpegs and so on.

I could see if someone wanted this bike to build a track bike then a lot of that stuff doesn't matter, but for someone to buy it and then need to fix it I could see 3 or 4 thousand dollars worth of parts going into it even at used prices. Aren't these bikes selling for something in the 15K range unmolested with clean titles?

What's the rationale behind spending the big money on these salvage bikes?
There is no rational for this. People get too excited with e-bay sometimes and make stupid decisions IMHO, this would be a perfect example of one :mouthwate :blah: :naughty: :ahhh: :laughing: :yo: :popcorn: :shitfan: :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
37 Posts
IMHO this bike is worthless other than a track bike and a bit pricey for that. Subtle things tell me the damage is worse than just "cosmetic". But some person out there see's it as a way to own an MV for cheap, at least until they get to the rebuilding aspect of it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I gotta admit though, rebuilding that busted up MV looks like it would be fun (if you factor out the cost). Any mistakes you made can't be any worse than the initial one.

·
Registered
587 Posts
N V my MV said:
I gotta admit though, rebuilding that busted up MV looks like it would be fun (if you factor out the cost). Any mistakes you made can't be any worse than the initial one.

salvage is usally really good, IF your the one who buys them from the auctions.

otherwise it can get pricey

remember one of our members Wrecked his MV 1000? HE WAS Selling it at $4k because that is what insurance left him at. I bet you the selling price is around $3k At auction.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yeah granted the rebuilding portion of it may soon attractive, but it's not until you go and try and register the thing, into which the real project begins.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wow. At this point, it's $8100 with 6 days left. You can buy a perfect '05 with less than 3k on the odometer for under $14k and even under $13k. Without a salvage title.

By the time you even spend $2k on bodywork alone, not to mention the numerous $50 and $100 bits - bar ends, signals, etc., and set about getting it dialed in, you're not going to be any better off money-wise over buying a good bike AND you'll still have a bike with a salvage title.

I see guys do this all the time with Ferraris, especially 355's and 308's for some reason. They look and look and pass on great cars because they're too expensive and then they buy one that had a hard life for what they think is a good deal but by the time that they make it right, they're into it WAY more than what the good one would have cost and they still have a car that's worth no more than what they paid for. The small things add up in a hurry.

·
Registered
268 Posts
To restore this bike to pristine condition will cost a lot of money, because the cost of MV Agusta parts is astronomical. However, because the cost of parts is so high, crashed MVs I think would be a good buy for folks who already have an MV, so you'd have an affordable and ready parts supply. No waiting for parts to come from Italy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Now up to over $8 Grand. There is fool out there...

I was watching it as a track bike two but now it makes no sense when there are deals out there for arout 13-15 for clear title. I just picked up the Senna on e-bay for 20,600 while everyone was out riding or:jerkoff: It will be here tomorrow and it is pristine. Can't wait to join you all in the twisties this weekend in god's country for them, SoCal. Keep it safe:f4:

·
Registered
238 Posts
sht, if it sells close to your house watch your bike. People buy those bikes and fix them with a stolen one. At least that is what happens here in cali. think about it, it costs too much to fix it, but they just use the frame and the engine.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
-I have to say it is nice to know I can reck my MV and still sell it for almost full book value though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts