MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I rode up to Snohomish bike show today. An event that is 95% Hardley and 5% others. I was actually meeting up with a few Hardley friends and volunteering to lead them on a country ride through some mild twisties, after the show.

Anyway, it's not very often that I see another MV on the road, but today as I was crossing a cross section going into Snohomish, there was another silver MV sitting at the intersection waiting for the green light. He was with a few other bikes and stared at me. I lifted my hand and pointed at him in the bike crowd and waved at him (I was on my MV)....he looked at me kind of bewildered! :crazyeyes Didn't wave back or anything....almost as if he was afraid of letting go of the handle bar!!! :rolleyes: So as we were all in search of parking space, I ran into him again and waved at him... again, he looked at me kind of confused!!! :crazyeyes :crazyeyes

So if you are reading this out there (???), trust me, letting go of the handle bar for a milli ssecond is real easy. Imagine the computer mouse you are holding in your hand is the handle bar... now, on a count of three slowly let go of the mouse! 1, 2, and 3... Lift the little finger and wiggle it around first, now the others... this time on a count of three raise you hand and wave... come on don't be shay, trust me you wont fall off the chair and/or the computer screen will not do a wheelie.... :drummer:

Anyways, good to see ya out there, even though you acted kind of clue less... :bash: :later:

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
maybe he is a new rider?

I wonder if the "waving/salute" is a global thing? do they do it in other parts of the world as well? I know it's not done in Taiwan, or you will be riding with one hand all day.

Here in California, I find sportbike riders are always very open and friendly, the metric cruiser riders are generally very nice too, H&D/chopper riders often are the moving-couch-potatoes that ignores everybody.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
odonata said:
maybe he is a new rider?

I wonder if the "waving/salute" is a global thing? do they do it other parts of the world as well?

Here in California, I find sportbike riders are always very open and friendly, the metric cruiser riders are generally very nice too, H&D/chopper riders often are the moving-couch-potatoes that ignores everybody.

Around here it is done almost religiously. It is considered arrogant and anti commradry if you don't reply and/or salute other bikers. There are some that don't salute (sport riders included, while "some" Hardley riders salute any kind of bikes and some do not...). But to get that twice within 5 minutes from a fellow MV guy where MV's are very rare to see is beyond me...I was just excited to see one while I was on mine????? :later:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Mum told him not to talk to strangers and he's sticking to it.

Most sports bike riders here give a nod of the head as we pass...when you come across an MV

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Up here in northern california, seems like everyone waves at each other, which is very nice. Well, that is, except those HD riders :) (well, rare)

·
Registered
403 Posts
In Italy we wave to almost everybody (except maxi scooters :flickoff: ).
But there are two categories that never wave you back: harley and bmw riders.
I guess they feel superior :green:

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
I never got any waves in Italy, was on a small-ish Honda (i.e. not a Pan or GW) touring bike. Came in from the north via Turin, went down to Tuscany.

nada. :stickpoke :stickpoke

Mostly just saw sport-biker types who seemed to just keep to themselves.....gave up trying after a couple days.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
kamranmarashi said:
I rode up to Snohomish bike show today. An event that is 95% Hardley and 5% others. I was actually meeting up with a few Hardley friends and volunteering to lead them on a country ride through some mild twisties, after the show.

Anyway, it's not very often that I see another MV on the road, but today as I was crossing a cross section going into Snohomish, there was another silver MV sitting at the intersection waiting for the green light. He was with a few other bikes and stared at me. I lifted my hand and pointed at him in the bike crowd and waved at him (I was on my MV)....he looked at me kind of bewildered! :crazyeyes Didn't wave back or anything....almost as if he was afraid of letting go of the handle bar!!! :rolleyes: So as we were all in search of parking space, I ran into him again and waved at him... again, he looked at me kind of confused!!! :crazyeyes :crazyeyes

So if you are reading this out there (???), trust me, letting go of the handle bar for a milli ssecond is real easy. Imagine the computer mouse you are holding in your hand is the handle bar... now, on a count of three slowly let go of the mouse! 1, 2, and 3... Lift the little finger and wiggle it around first, now the others... this time on a count of three raise you hand and wave... come on don't be shay, trust me you wont fall off the chair and/or the computer screen will not do a wheelie.... :drummer:

Anyways, good to see ya out there, even though you acted kind of clue less... :bash: :later:
It was me, sorry :blush:

kamran, next time give him the :flickoff: and see if he replies back

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
MV-999R said:
It was me, sorry :blush:

kamran, next time give him the :flickoff: and see if he replies back
I wave to everyone, including the Harley guys, sometimes they ignore me totally and sometimes they just look at me and not wave back, then I just modify my wave from 5 finger to 1 finger... :flickoff: :flickoff: :flickoff:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
odonata said:
Kamran, were you riding with those Harley friends of yours at the time you saw that silver MV? maybe he was showing you his feeling about you riding with them :rolleyes:
No, I was by myself at the time, and he seemed to be in a mixed group of sport riders/cruisers...

In Washington, everyone is overly polite and nice. Even the Hardley riders, the ones that are professional usually wave, and I even get them wave at me first before I wave. But there are the tough guys with little pennises, ugly, over the hill, out of shape with bellies hanging out, and dirty looking ones that don't wave...and that's just fine by me! :later:

·
Registered
756 Posts
JamesC said:
Agreed, when we lived in Oregon I would have been afraid NOT to have waved :laughing:

Same in Texas; hardley, chopper, bmw - it doesn't usually matter :)

Perhaps a tad unfair to throw the bmw riders into that lot. Not quite in the league of Harleys or Choppers! :stickpoke At least on the East coast the bmw riders (including me :) ) wave. Frankly, everyone is generally friendly out here.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
It's funny, on ym R6, no cruisers would EVER wave at me. When riding a couple other bikes, I would get more waves on the naked bikes from the cruiser guys. on my super Hawk, it from the front, looks like a faired bike, I got no waves from cruiser guys.

On my Brutale, I get waves from everybody...I guess cause it's naked, the cruisers at first think it's a V-Rod???

I don't wave back to people not wearing a helmet though. They can think what they want. I feel everybody should NOT wave to helmet-less people. Give them the idea they're stupid and nobody wants to hang around somebody not wearing a helmet :laughing:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oicdn said:
I don't wave back to people not wearing a helmet though. They can think what they want. I feel everybody should NOT wave to helmet-less people. Give them the idea they're stupid and nobody wants to hang around somebody not wearing a helmet :laughing:
... not legal atound here, and perhaps the rest of the country? Although Hardley riders do wear fake (beany) helmets with fake DOT stickers on them! :loser:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts