MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it safe to do a sidestand flip on MV's?

like this

Posting this here because facebook group is giving conflicting answers... some people say theyve been doing it for years and other says it is not safe and will break...

·
Registered
828 Posts
French (official I think?) MV stunt rider does them on an F3. Been posted on here a few months ago. Safe? For him maybe. I'd not have the skill or know where to start. Definitely end up worse for wear if I tried.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
828 Posts
Think I got mixed up with stunts there. Teach me to watch the videos properly.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've been turning bikes (inc my 2015 F4) for years like that .... but the point about Gen1 sidestands is valid

·
Super Moderator
22,622 Posts
A resounding NO for First Gen bikes.

·
Registered
582 Posts
If you want my opinion, I'd also never ever do this, regardless of where the stand is mounted.

Under normal operation, the stand will never be subject to the full weight of the bike. Most of the weight is still on the tyres. The stand is only subject to relatively little weight produced by the slight offset of the bike's centre of gravity. I cant do the math, but if you want to do a real life test, try sitting on the bike and putting a leg down. Now keep leaning the bike and see when your knee pops

:stickpoke (innocuos poke)

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
@kingfob Please include your location and which MV bike/s in your signature.

Tools>User CP>Your Profile>Edit Your details>Additional Information>Location

Bike Model/s
Tools>User CP>Settings & Options>Edit Signature

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
22,622 Posts
Okay so pre-2010 MV's are a big NO and after 2010 it is okay.... thanks guys!
I would not infer that from what has been said here. There are those who have snapped side stands with much less pressure that turning the bike on the stand.

Why on earth would that seem like a good idea? If it goes badly, it goes REALLY badly.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I wouldnt do it on ANY bike with an alloy stand. On a cruiser with a big honking steel stand maybe but those with alloy stands it usually says in the manual not even to be putting weight on the bike while on the stand. Sportbikes are made to be light, meaning some components are designed to be just as strong as required.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts