MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears I might have a leaking shock. My bike that I just bought is an 05 F4 1000S with about 3500 miles. Is it just a case of time vs mileage wearing a seal out, or are these prone to that? The oil was on the swing arm and its definitely the shock. Am I looking at a "rebuild" or "repair", or may be I just get it rebuilt and setup for my weight/riding style while I'm at it. Next question would be do I trust a local shop to remove it and make the repairs or remove it myself and send the shock off. There are a few reputable shops in the area like MotoCorsa and EDR, but with it being the busy season at these places, I often wonder if they give each bike the time and respect they deserve. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
FWIW, I'll be surprised if the oil is over the top of you shock, sure it's not a leaking battery?
If it is your shock, no they don't often leak, yes it's easy to remove, just download the workshop manual. To rebuild, you will have to find someone to do that, you can't do it yourself.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FWIW, I'll be surprised if the oil is over the top of you shock, sure it's not a leaking battery?
If it is your shock, no they don't often leak, yes it's easy to remove, just download the workshop manual. To rebuild, you will have to find someone to do that, you can't do it yourself.

Its definitely oil and it appears to be on the (dripping from) the bottom of the shock, unless its coming from the engine. god I hope not.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If it is your shock and you are in the United States, I would highly recomment Rick Tannenbaum at Cogent Dynamics in Asheville, NC. He rebuilt my buddies shock for his Brutale 910R and he does all of the suspension work on my track bike. His number is 828-628-9025.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
You can replace it with a used one. They're cheap as chips.

But, as Marty suggests, if you are going to spend some money, have it rebuilt custom for you.

CAG

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
You can replace it with a used one. They're cheap as chips.

But, as Marty suggests, if you are going to spend some money, have it rebuilt custom for you.

CAG
If CAG has one Daren, please grab it, if not, I have one in the "for sale" section too, but shipping might make it a shitty option. :)

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
rebuilding gas shocks is just like old shocks EXCEPT you need a nitrogen bottle and injector needle too

best to send it out and have it done for your weight and preferences

:drummer:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If CAG has one Daren, please grab it, if not, I have one in the "for sale" section too, but shipping might make it a shitty option. :)

Thanks Donsy, when it stops pissing it down, I will take her out again and recheck for leaks, then make a decision.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Downloaded the manuals, thanks very much for that.
(read your website too)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts