MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in the process of buying a naked bike and have narrowed it down to either the S4R or the Brutale 910 or S.

I love how the S4R roars and the ride of a Twin engine.

I love the aesthetics of the Brutale. I haven't ridden one yet, but I had a 4-cylinder bike before.

I'm favoring the 910 right now because I want the low-midrange torque. That's one of the reasons why I like the Monster, the low-end.

Can anyone who had or still owns a ducati monster tell me their experience?

For those of you who have a 910, how is the low-end torque compared to a monster? I'm dissapointed that the 910 isn't offered in matte black. *pout*

Thanks.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I just traded my S4R to put an order in on a 910. All I have ridden in the past were 4 cylinder bikes and while the duck certainly does roar and has loads of low end torque, I missed the screaming fun of the 4. And to be honest, I found the S4R has almost too much power right off idle, which makes city riding a drag. I know I will be flamed for this, but my initial thoughts when riding the S4R was that the engine sounded like a lawn mower. As far as handing is concerned, I found in my test ride of the 910 that it felt far more planted and less twitchy leaned over. If you are thinking of the S4R I would get the new S4RS instead. As far as aesthetics, ducati offers LOADS of customization upgrades although none will really make it look a 910. The engine on the 910 is far more "polished" for a naked. Good luck with your decision.

Moto Frisco said:
I'm in the process of buying a naked bike and have narrowed it down to either the S4R or the Brutale 910 or S.

I love the aesthetics of the Brutale. I haven't ridden one yet, but I had a 4-cylinder bike before.

I'm favoring the 910 right now because I want the low-midrange torque. That's one of the reasons why I like the Monster, the low-end.

For those of you who have a 910, how is the low-end torque compared to a monster? I'm dissapointed that the 910 isn't offered in matte black. *pout*

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The 910 R comes in black, tho not matt black :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in the same boat :) I 'm looking at the S4rs because I had a 999s and loved it but the looks of the 910 are waaaay better. With aprox. the same weight and hp I'm leaning heavily toward the 910 or 910R. Now what to do with that Ducati jacket i just got last year? :toothless

·
Registered
774 Posts
Hey Guys, stop thinking !!

Buy the bike your heart wants to. Both are passion one. Lissen to your heart and you'll be happy bikers !!

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
IMO, no question 910 would be my choice.

My brother have a Monster and I have a 916, but IMO the 910 I test rode kick their asses in HP power and power delivery, sound, handling and ESPECIALLY build quality and design.

the 910 has PLENTY of low end torque, and it felt very smooth all the way to the rev limiter. IMO, the "growl" or "roar" of the twins are over rated for bikes, well... maybe better suited for a muscle cruiser and muscle cars, I just like the mental high pitch "howl" or "shriek" of the 4s on a sports bike/hooligan bike, besides, nobody will mistaken the sound of the 910 for a Japanese inline 4s.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can only add one thing to this never having owned either bike. Right now I have a 996, and all it took was ONE ride on my friends Brutale 750 for me to buy an MV.... I don't know if you've ridden one yet, the engine is amazing. I have no bias owning both bikes saying this, the MV is going to turn a lot more heads too, if you've seen one Monster you've seen them all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
desmoworks said:
This has to be coming from someone who has never owned or been around many. These all look pretty different to me - and I could find pictures all day long.
]
Yep.. never owned one before.. And let me clarify just for you... with exception of highly modified or customized Monsters if you seen one you've seen them all. Is that clearer? Stock for stock the Brutale 910 is way more potent than the Monster S4R. I could find you highly customized Katana's too, but you know what they say, you can't polish a turd.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Those are pretty scary monsters :wtf: alright...

I own a 916 and my brother has a monster, and I have seen a lot of highly customized Ducatis over the years, some good, some bad, but I just haven't seen that many defaced MV F4s or Brutales any where, perhaps it's just because there are fewer of them around, but my theory is that I think the MVs are just so beautifully designed in the 1st place that people don't want to ruin it by changing too much of it.

Just my $0.02.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Hi Desmoworks, in that middle picture (the one with the knife sheath on the fork tube), do you happen to know what is that handle thing is on the left side of the gas tank? some kind of clutch/gear lever? and is that a head light unit on the fork tube?

I think a couple of tomahawk would be more appropriate instead of the little survival knife for that bike.

·
Site Sponsor
165 Posts
I believe that is known as a suicide shift. I think those pictures were taken at the us gp, but I'm not exactly sure.

It is probably the most ridiculous monster I've seen. I can't find the picture of the guy who rides it - but he looks about the same as the bike - so I guess it is fitting. :toothless

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
It's a free country, but what's next? pimped out lowridier Ferrari Enzo with hydraulics? :toothless
I believe that is known as a suicide shift. I think those pictures were taken at the us gp, but I'm not exactly sure.
That suicide shift, is that the same thing that I have seen on some custom choppers? (sorry I know nothing about choppers) how do they work? is it a clutch lever or gear shifter lever? I noticed that he also has the standard clutch lever and shifter set up... it's even a CRG adjustable lever! or something like it...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Not actually a suicide shift. With a suicide shift the clutch is actuated with the foot. If you can imagine sitting at a light, balancing on the right foot, with the left foot holding the clutch. Lose your balance and go to put your left foot down and out into traffic you go -- suicide. :) My brother had one on his early Harley. At one time Harley came stock with a foot clutch and the shifter mounted to the gas tank. :smoking:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
My wife bought her Monster in 02 and has put ~57,000miles on it.

I'd say take a demo ride on models as close as you can get - to decide.

Fairly different in my opinion but if either I or she were going to buy a new naked bike it would be a Brutale.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Moto Frisco said:

Thanks.

I am a newbie here and it has been some time since this post but I am in the same boat except I cannot decide between the 06 Speed Triple, the new S4Rs, or the Brtuale 910. I have ridden the Brutale and the S4r not the Triumph yet. In the past I owned the 03 999, 04 CBR 1000rr and a myriad of Jap V Twins. I really enjoy the V Twin bikes and did not feel very comfortable on the Honda but....the Brutale felt alot different, more comfortable, more in control, handled better and sounded awesome right out of the box yet I still yearn for that Duc Twin rumble and rattle of the dry clutch. The Triple looks great, to me, and have not heard a bad word about it except that aftermarket parts are a little difficult to come by. Sooooo...any thoughts from the crowd here? Money is an issue, unfortunately, another reason why the Triumph is attractive. Just do not want to end up with another bike whose attraction wears thin after a couple of months. Thanks in advance, J

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Hi Panzerman, welcome to mvagusta.net. As a Brit, I will probably get hung by my peers for saying this, but a friend (who is a Triumph owner) and I took a speed triple out for a test ride last summer and we both thought it was a pile of dog doo. :eek:nthecan: This is even stranger when I tell you that a few weeks before, I test rode the Triumph Sprint ST1050 and thought it was an excellent bike. :) The Speed triple was like one of those kids jelly adverts on TV. All over the road :bawling: (honestly), whereas if I hadn't just bought my F4 Evo III, I would have gone for the Sprint ST. :) Considering they have the same engine, the two bikes from the same manufacturer could not be more different IMO. Velocemoto is right, the monsters are showing their age now. Can't comment on the S4R cos I haven't ridden one but I have had a 916 and a 996 in the past. Buy the MV you won't regret it. :smoking:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks John, I will post my decision,if anyone is interested, next week after I ride the Triple and re-ride the Monster and Brutale.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Have you looked at the Z1000 from Kawasaki? I think that if you like the Brutale and the Triple, but money is an issue, that that would be your best bet.

Further, while the new Triple looks amazing Triumph does not have a good reputation for first model year bikes (but then, who does?).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts