MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've decided I'm ready for a new bike this spring. I think I've narrowed it down the BMW s1000xr or the TV Lusso. I like these bikes for different reasons. Part of my problem is that the two dealers nearest to me don't seem like they are going to get one in their showroom, so I haven't been able to see a TV in person or even sit on one. I don't even think MV is going to be at the motorcycle show here in Chicago.

I'm 6 foot and about 235lbs, so not a small guy. I have long legs. The BMW seemed pretty comfy. I am coming from a BMW C650 scoot which I love, but need something a bit quicker and more capable for longer rides.

One of the main reasons I like both the BMW and the MV is the shift assist. Most of my riding is in an urban environment and the less shifting/clutching I need to do the better imho.

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I want the TV. The bike is freaking gorgeous. I can see myself just staring at in my garage. I also like having stuff that isn't all that common.

However, I am wondering if the s1000xr might be a bit more logical / practical. I like that the BMW has all the wizbang tech stuff like the lean sensitive ABS. I still haven't gotten a straight answer if the TV has the same Bosch system as the BMW. I was kind of put off that the TV does't have the automatic suspension pre-load, but does appear to have the same semi-active suspension. This might not be big deal since I rarely if ever will have a passenger, so I doubt I need to adjust preload often.

I like the BMW navigator system. I originally thought the TV had an integrated GPS, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

On paper, the BMW seems to win, but god damn, every time I look at the TV it just looks so damn gorgeous. :mouthwate The BMW is kind of bland. Not bad looking, but definitely not as eye pleasing as the TV.

The BMW is certainly a faster bike, but I don't ride like a hooligan so the TV's power would be enough. I just like to be able to out accelerate cars at any speed up to about 100. I don't have any desire to go faster.

My other concern is that there are only two dealers I can really patronize. One is like 15 minutes away and the other about 2 hours away. Neither seem like MVs are their bread and butter so I feel like I might be taking somewhat of a risk with dealer support.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you have very long legs the TV might be tight. I'm 6'1" and my knees are right at the cutout.

If you want more gizmos, go for the BMW. iirc preload is manual on the TV even with the Lusso.

People complain about vibration on the BMW. Like a lot of people.

·
Registered
317 Posts
S1000rr at least vibrates quite bad, but nothing like a Duke, so i guess it depends what you are coming from. But if you come from a scooter, the vibration might actually be an issue. Have you ridden an S1000xr?

·
Super Moderator
22,836 Posts
Again, buy the Bimmer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for responses. Logically, my scooter is probably better than either for most of my riding and probably don't need another bike. However, I am not completely looking to make a logical purchase which is why I keep coming back to the MV. The reality is that I don't ride as much as I'd like, so I guess I am looking for something that scratches the itch for what little time I can get on the bike. The MV just speaks to me aesthetically.

Shift assist is clutchless up and down shifting. Only really need clutch at a stop now. BMW has it on most of their bikes now. The TV has the same feature.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Then buy the MV and have a try, can always change it if not to taste? Must be said, dont really understand why would you want an quickshifter in town, at least the S1000rr i drove wasn`t too happy shifting on low speeds with the shifter. It did shift but with a clunk and jolt that cant be healthy to the box. But on speeds though, they are fantastic equipment, except the down change option. And this is only my opinion.

·
Registered
199 Posts
There is not a lot of logic in buying an MV, it is 99.9% an emotional decision.
I agree that it sounds like the S1000XR sounds like the better choice but, I don't think that buying an MV significantly more emotional decision than buying any motorcycle (that costs $10k+).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree that it sounds like the S1000XR sounds like the better choice but, I don't think that buying an MV significantly more emotional decision than buying any motorcycle (that costs $10k+).
I guess what is the more logical choice of an illogical purchase?

I think I'd have an easier time making up my mind if I saw the TV in the flesh. The dealers around here have all the other MV models but don't seem interested in carrying the TV except on special order.

The new Brutale 800 is calling me too. Just worried I'd regret that one when I want to go on longer rides, so the TV seems like a better choice.

Too bad I didn't hit the lotto last night then I could just buy everything and not worry about it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've owned a couple of different multistradas and several other ducatis, suzuki, triumphs; the MV floats my goat *and* it's a very practical ride (aside from the aforementioned price). That's why I'm not sure it's as irrational a purchase as, perhaps, other MVs. They all have pretty similar levels of technology. We really are super lucky to be able to consider such motorcycles, they're all pretty epic and, as such, the bike that gets you the most excited will be the bike whose issues bother you the least.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If you don't care for clutching and shifting the new Honda Africa Twin has a pretty good DCT system. Also allows for urban commando riding, curb jumping, stair climbing, and off road shenanigans. Seems a shame to limit MVs to city riding as they love the curves and open road. Maybe a Brutal 800 or Rivale would suit your needs. Both have quickshifting, I believe, and are good in the lower rims for city riding. A bit more hooligan than the TV, but comfortable and agile. Also the lower price would allow for any bags and accessories you might wish to add.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you don't care for clutching and shifting the new Honda Africa Twin has a pretty good DCT system.
That's exactly what crossed my mind when he mentioned shift-assist for urban use... and he is coming from a scooter.

Shift assist is not an automatic transmission. In urban environment and where your are mostly sort of coasting between red light to red light, the shift assist could be clunky or not respond properly. It will do nothing for stop and go traffic, as you will need to use the clutch for that. I have a feeling you are looking for something else and the Africa Twin with DCT might just be it. Or even the Honda NC700X, with DCT.

If you still want to know if these bikes are for you, take them for a ride before you make any decision. Take the BMW for a ride first, since that one should be available in more than one location in Chicago, and get a feel for what the shift assist is all about. And for all the power that will be dormant...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm thinking for the urban environment, keeping the scooter is the best option, (if you have room and the money to do so) saving the liter bike for touring. In that regard, the TV has more than enough power, it's just a question of fit. I fit my TVL fine; it's a shame neither Team MCC nor the Wisconsin dealer will at least order a Turismo Veloce to try on for size.

I ran into the same problem here in Arizona. The Tucson dealer wouldn't order unless I agreed to buy, but the Las Vegas dealer got a Turismo Veloce in and I test rode it and bought my Lusso from Freedom cycle in Las Vegas. I heard he sold another one immediately after I bought mine.

As far as the shift assist, going up through the gears you don't need to be wide open, but you do need to be making progress. Similarly, slowing down, shift assist works fine if the throttle is at idle.

The cruise control seems very basic (but I should read the owner's manual again) it seems to act more like an electronic throttle lock that adjusts for hills (up and down) nice but only works in 6th gear and can't be finely adjusted easily. On a twisty road though, all is forgiven.

Speaking of twisty roads, eastern Illinois is in a profound state of poverty there, as Mark Twain might have said if he rode motorcycles. Central Wisconsin and western parts of Wisconsin and Illinois have some good roads, but watch out for the police in Wisconsin, they have a reputation for writing tickets for even 5mph over the limit. In the mid-west, look for "River Roads," you'll even find them marked as such on road-maps.

Bear in mind that any liter bike and I include the 800cc TVL in that classification will have a lot more power than even a maxi-scooter. Perhaps you're well acquainted with powerful motorcycles, but if not, don't feel ashamed to work your way up to one of these bikes a step at a time. Best wishes and let us know your decision.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Ive ridden both and being only 5'8" the MV fitted me better, the slimmer seat allowed me to feel more confident at low speeds. But that aside I preferred the engine on the MV to the 4 pot of the BM. The BM is fast for sure up you have to work it, it doesn't have the instant torque of the triple and if most of your riding is town work I think the MV would suit better. The price of the BM (over here) certainly looks more attractive over the MV but like all BMW's once you start adding from the options catalogue the price soon racks up.

There are also touches to the MV that the BM just doesn't come close to, like the panniers and how they attach to the bike.

In the end though I decided I liked my Brutale too much to trade it in for the TV and I couldn't afford to own both and for the cost to trade I could instead go out and buy something like a Kawasaki Versys Grand Tourer and keep my Brutale as well and two bikes are always better than one ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I test rode the XR at my BMW dealer and I was not impressed by it too much. I made a video on YouTube doing a review of it, and got a lot of hate from the BMW fan boys.
I didn't like the build quality mainly but there were just too many little things that just drew me away.

On the other hand, I test rode the Turismo Veloce and ended up buying it on the spot.
Just all depends on how the bike strikes your fancy. ;)

IF you are interested in my reviews, here you go:

XR - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce02mvhnwss
TV - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blOp4JNtKGg

1 - 20 of 40 Posts