MV Agusta Forum banner

Running Temperature range - test ride

8K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  irobot 
#1 ·
Hi,

Wondering if some owners of the F4 1000 could help me out, I test rode the bike yesterday and noticed the temperature varied from 80-100 Deg Celcuis. Just wondering if thats normal?
Or what is the normal variation?

I have written a review of my test ride if anyones interested.

Regards
Jonathan

#4 ·
In good old England, we rarely get 35 degree plus days even at the height of summer, but the temperature read out on my bike quite often hits 100 - 105 degrees when stood in traffic. The cooling fans should be running although it's hard to hear them in operation over the engine noise, but as long as you keep your coolant level correct, these temperatures shouldn't be a problem. :)

#8 ·
john said:
In good old England, we rarely get 35 degree plus days even at the height of summer, but the temperature read out on my bike quite often hits 100 - 105 degrees when stood in traffic. The cooling fans should be running although it's hard to hear them in operation over the engine noise, but as long as you keep your coolant level correct, these temperatures shouldn't be a problem. :)
Good for you! :) Here in even-older good Italy (Rome) 35 is normal from midlle of May up to the end of july, August even worse.... Saturday I rode my new F4 1000 R for the very first time and each stop was literally a real pain in the ass!!! I felt like a steak on BBQ! :)
Noverthless this is definitely the best bike I've ever had and this is a little price to pay.

#9 ·
Serves you right Marco for having to live in such a beautiful country with such a beautiful motorbike. :drummer: You lucky guy. :) Welcome to MVagusta.net, please post some pictures of your bike. :king:

#10 ·
Get with it....metric suck :laughing:

I'm sitting here thinking the same thing...my bike runs hot. One day sitting in trqaffic, my bike got up to 228f....luckily, after that we started moving and I was good to go, but damn is that scary.

It's odd, cause when riding, ~45mph, my average temp after sitting at a light it 190f...I'm like...damn this bike runs hot...

#16 ·
One thing to remember with the temperature displayed on the dash is the sender for the readout is located in the LH radiator header tank, so while you can't argue that the engine does run hot in traffic, when you get back on the open road and the gauge drops to high 70's (or lower) this is not necessarily the temp that the engine is running at, you might well have a situation were the engine thermostat is closed thus keeping the engine temp at a controlled point, but the radiator is still being cooled by the airflow which causes the displayed temp to read lower than the engine, why they just didn't take the temp readout from the ECU is probably something to do with the age of the electronics on the bike, early 2000 bikes had an ecu temp sender, a dash readout temp sender, and a temp switch to control the fans! later bikes control the fans via the ecu

#17 ·
odonata said:
Marco, nice bike and welcome to the forum, I actually noticed your 1000R pix before I saw this thread... beautiful bike! I placed a deposit of a Senna 1000 ans should be getting it in hte next month or 2.

Enjoy the bike! more pics please!
Thank you! :)
I added some more pictures of my F4 and a couple all my other bikes. I hope to have some time next week-end to make some really good pictures with my reflex, those posted where taken with a PocketPC.
BTW, when I purchased my F4-R just aside her there was a Senna too, ready for delivery and sold the day I got mine! It's sad you have to wait for yours so much!

#18 ·
My SPR runs too hot for my liking. I came home and parked in the garage, 5 min later I walked out there again and she threw up some coolant on the ground. There is a coolant called Evans, its for hot rods and high performance engines and its waterless. I am waiting for the local store to get in the system flush so I can do the change over. I dont like to see such high temps and I want to try to keep things running cooler on the street.

Chris

#19 ·
irobot said:
My SPR runs too hot for my liking. I came home and parked in the garage, 5 min later I walked out there again and she threw up some coolant on the ground. There is a coolant called Evans, its for hot rods and high performance engines and its waterless. I am waiting for the local store to get in the system flush so I can do the change over. I dont like to see such high temps and I want to try to keep things running cooler on the street.

Chris
I'm interested to see how the Evans goes. Be sure to tell the whoever does the the job not to fill the coolant past the min mark or you will continue to have puddles.

#21 ·
hey duc guy you need to be really carefull on what oil you use. The oil in a bike is different from cars mainley because how we use the oil in our bikes. Our oil doesnt just do the engine it also does the trainny and the clutch because we have wet clutches like some addatives for engine oil sometimes even say not for bike. so just becarefull with what you put on the engine oil or what oil we use.

#24 ·
Fan Toggle Switch Question

I used to run Water Wetter in my 92 ZX7 and my 91 Miata and it works great. I switched over after seeing the stuff run at Willow Springs back in 95. I noticed much cooler running temps after the change.
I have been debating that over Evans waterless coolant. Evans is like 10X's the price compared to Water Wetter and the other thing I have to consider is the cold up here.

The other trick I used was to put a toggle switch in place of the thermostat so I could turn on the fan on my bike as soon as I got off of the highway. That way the engine ran as if it was on the freeway still while riding in city traffic and cruising. Tha the fan runs off of the alternator so no worries on the battery. I never had a problem.

Does anybody know why the MV has 2 thermo's?? I want to install a toggle switch on this bike for the fan(s) but I'm wondering why there are 2 so close together. How might I wire the switch??

Chris

#25 ·
irobot said:
I used to run Water Wetter in my 92 ZX7 and my 91 Miata and it works great. I switched over after seeing the stuff run at Willow Springs back in 95. I noticed much cooler running temps after the change.
I have been debating that over Evans waterless coolant. Evans is like 10X's the price compared to Water Wetter and the other thing I have to consider is the cold up here.

The other trick I used was to put a toggle switch in place of the thermostat so I could turn on the fan on my bike as soon as I got off of the highway. That way the engine ran as if it was on the freeway still while riding in city traffic and cruising. Tha the fan runs off of the alternator so no worries on the battery. I never had a problem.

Does anybody know why the MV has 2 thermo's?? I want to install a toggle switch on this bike for the fan(s) but I'm wondering why there are 2 so close together. How might I wire the switch??

Chris
From the previous page;
(quote)
One thing to remember with the temperature displayed on the dash is the sender for the readout is located in the LH radiator header tank, so while you can't argue that the engine does run hot in traffic, when you get back on the open road and the gauge drops to high 70's (or lower) this is not necessarily the temp that the engine is running at, you might well have a situation were the engine thermostat is closed thus keeping the engine temp at a controlled point, but the radiator is still being cooled by the airflow which causes the displayed temp to read lower than the engine, why they just didn't take the temp readout from the ECU is probably something to do with the age of the electronics on the bike, early 2000 bikes had an ecu temp sender, a dash readout temp sender, and a temp switch to control the fans! later bikes control the fans via the ecu (quote)

To wire the fans to a switch you will need to wire into the relay that operates them, this is located under the fairing, on the RH side attached to the frame tube by a rubber loom strap, about 2 to 3 inches away from the headstock, its a little black box about half the size of your thumb

#26 ·
Agreed on the temp read out thing but unless I add something to tap directly into the ECU and read out a temp somehow all we have to go on is the relative water temp.
So you think I should over ride the relay instead of bypassing the thermo? If I had a three position switch I could let the relays do their job and opt to switch the fans on I think.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.