MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldnt find that much info on this. I only really found one article about it: MV Agusta FAQ: Tuning 2) Idle, Base CO and Throttle Body Balance

So my bike has always run rich from day one. I'm here at Denver altitude, my starting elevation is 5500ft up to 10,000ft. it hasn't really been a problem, except for the poor gas milage. (or smelling like rich exhaust, which i secretly like:smoking:)

Im wondering if using the methods in that blog, will help any? before i go tearing into it.
I just figured that the MV stuff doesnt adjust for altitude like a car does, and it seems to run ok. (but think it could be better)

brut 750 S

·
Super Moderator
21,458 Posts
Those methods will help some....so will an EProm from @merc07 on this forum.

What year is your Brutale? (And would you please put that information in your signature line through User CP?)

·
Administrator
18,859 Posts
The MV does in fact have an atmospheric pressure sensor.....

The real problem is that your bike is using a 1.6M ECU which was designed for a twin cylinder engine. The injectors and spark plugs both fire in pairs, which means you have a wasted injector spray on every cylinder (the wasted ignition spark is no big deal...common on many old 4 cylinder bikes).

Hard to get the fueling tuned just right with that spray of fuel against a closed intake valve in a port with no air flow occurring. MV did it pretty well, but compromises had to be made....exacerbated by your high altitude.

So...careful tuning of TPS, idle CO trim, and a proper map on the eprom (talk to Merco7/Adam) will help. If you REALLY want to make her run as well as possible you need to get a Microtec from X-Bikes that converts to sequential fuel injection.

·
Registered
14,212 Posts
?

The MV does in fact have an atmospheric pressure sensor.....

The real problem is that your bike is using a 1.6M ECU which was designed for a twin cylinder engine. The injectors and spark plugs both fire in pairs, which means you have a wasted injector spray on every cylinder (the wasted ignition spark is no big deal...common on many old 4 cylinder bikes).

Hard to get the fueling tuned just right with that spray of fuel against a closed intake valve in a port with no air flow occurring. MV did it pretty well, but compromises had to be made....exacerbated by your high altitude.
Ed;.
I.6M ECUs came on all Lancias including the turbo ones and all Fiats way before Ducati started using them '95-'02. Then they switched to 5.9 M
Then MV used them '99-'06 or '07
You have this phobia about non sequential injection.......
You need to stop and think about what happens
When the intake valve opens what happens?
1st it sucks in the last squirt that happened 360° ago.....what's that gas been doing? Vaporizing on the hot surfaces......so you're getting a better mixture.....what contributes to that? the air coming down the intake raising the pressure, not much because it's
10 times a second at idle
Then the injector fires and loads the 2nd half of the fuel....
Who gives a shit it if the correct amount of fuel goes in in 1 squirt or 2????? Besides it allows them to use a smaller injector

It is my understanding that the 1.6M ECU can drive 8 coils, 2 Lambda sensors, a MAP sensor and the rest of the usual suspects

I think the OP's problem is the atmospheric pressure sensor.......there is no test in the manual, it's not even mentioned
In the Electrical Section......in the Trouble Shooting Guide it says "if it's bad replace It's
Thanks MV

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ed;.
I.6M ECUs came on all Lancias including the turbo ones and all Fiats way before Ducati started using them '95-'02. Then they switched to 5.9 M
Then MV used them '99-'06 or '07
You have this phobia about non sequential injection.......
You need to stop and think about what happens
When the intake valve opens what happens?
1st it sucks in the last squirt that happened 360° ago.....what's that gas been doing? Vaporizing on the hot surfaces......so you're getting a better mixture.....what contributes to that? the air coming down the intake raising the pressure, not much because it's
10 times a second at idle
Then the injector fires and loads the 2nd half of the fuel....
Who gives a shit it if the correct amount of fuel goes in in 1 squirt or 2????? Besides it allows them to use a smaller injector

It is my understanding that the 1.6M ECU can drive 8 coils, 2 Lambda sensors, a MAP sensor and the rest of the usual suspects

I think the OP's problem is the atmospheric pressure sensor.......there is no test in the manual, it's not even mentioned
In the Electrical Section......in the Trouble Shooting Guide it says "if it's bad replace It's
Thanks MV
is this pressure sensor the MAP sensor? can you show me a picture?

Could it really be bad from brand new?

·
Administrator
18,859 Posts
It is the sensor on the air box... I doubt it is bad. There is a CO% trim potentiometer in your ECU. It probably needs to be set.

Check the service manual for the procedure.

Team Double 3 Racing | MV Agusta

·
Registered
14,212 Posts
?

is this pressure sensor the MAP sensor? can you show me a picture?

Could it really be bad from brand new?
Not MAP sensor, there isn't 1 on 1st Gen MVs
Atmospheric pressure sensor/ambient temperature sensor is item #6:wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been having the same issue with my 04 brutale 750. I moved from near sea level to 3500 feet and low RPMs seem really rich. I talked to a shop about it (non MV shop) and they just said it was the fuel having ethanol in the gas. Will running non ethanol fuel help or was he just blowing smoke?

·
Administrator
18,859 Posts
I have been having the same issue with my 04 brutale 750. I moved from near sea level to 3500 feet and low RPMs seem really rich. I talked to a shop about it (non MV shop) and they just said it was the fuel having ethanol in the gas. Will running non ethanol fuel help or was he just blowing smoke?
They are unfamiliar with your bike....and E10 gas doesn't cause that. Definitely blowing smoke.

Ask them if they know how to adjust the CO% potentiometer in the ECU...if they look at you like you're crazy, or try some more BS on you, find another technician...preferably one who has worked on older Ducatis with the same ECU.

·
Registered
14,212 Posts
?

We have 2 people here gaining altitude......you lose 3% of your power per 1,000' so you need to lose that much fuel too
~ 0 to 3,500' = -10.5%
5,500' to 10,000' =- 14.5%
The potentiometer adds/subtracts the same bandwidth from idle and wide open, so it has very little affect on wide open
But a lot at idle....
Fueling is lbs of fuel/hour/HP, so if you have corrected dyno numbers it's easy
The old fashioned way is an analog "Relative Air Density Meter" works on the cross sectional area of carb jets
Here's mine.......75' elevation, 89% humidity, 68°F .....9 PM 111% of baseline
Willow Springs, the local race track is usually ~ 92%
:grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
So my bike has always run rich from day one. I'm here at Denver altitude, my starting elevation is 5500ft up to 10,000ft. it hasn't really been a problem, except for the poor gas milage. (or smelling like rich exhaust, which i secretly like:smoking:)
brut 750 S
Mate, Thread carefully with this.
You might end up spending $$$, hours and hours without really gaining something or even mess up the bike. Is running rich really a problem?
Agusta's run very very rich off factory. They did that because back in the days all MV's shipped with the same tune, didn't matter if it was sold on Antarctica or Africa. They set it rich to make sure the same tune will not run lean anywhere on the planet. But it is not that bad, MV's run fine that rich.
You could test the MAP(Baro) sensor with a piece of garden hose, a syringe and a volt meter if you wanted to but it is not likeley that there is something wrong with it. (it is a combined air temp/pressure sensor by the way).There is a Barometric correction curve in the OEM ecu that could be corrected. (i am not saying it should be corrected).
If the bike is running strong, no hesitation etc and you are not intending to compete in MOTOGP with it just leave it as it is.

If you really want to do something about it find someone who can fully edit the OEM ecu/EPROM and has a dyno (or has enough experience to suggest edits without a dyno, (Adam/Merc07)) or spend $1500 on a stand alone ECU.

PS. Don't see batch fire / waste spark / inject on closed valves as a problem. It is mostly an economy. running smoothness and response oriented feature. Hell, at higher RPM there isn't even enough time to spray all fuel while the valve is open and fuel atomisation might even be worse.

·
Administrator
18,859 Posts
This is why the 1.6M ECU has an idle trim pot.....part of tuning is setting the idle trim CO% for local conditions......it's in the service manual maintenance section.

Going from sea level to 3500 ft (and especially to 5000 or higher) for a permanent location would be a reason to go into the ECU and make the CO adjustment.

Periodic visits to higher altitudes (riding over a pass in the Alps as example) wouldn't cause a need to reset the idle CO since it is a temporary situation and the bike will adjust with signal from the atmospheric temp/pressure sensor.

But permanently locating to a higher altitude would be a cause to make adjustment.

OK....that's my opinion and I think it has a good basis.

Hope you can find someone to help tune-up your MV.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts